Patient Comments: Chronic Bronchitis - Treatments

What were effective treatments for your chronic bronchitis?

Comment from: pjsass, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I have had severe bouts of bronchitis for about three years now which last for several months. I had pneumonia 3 months ago. I constantly cough, produce excessive mucus in both my lungs, I have post nasal drip, bouts of exhaustion and I easily get short of breath. Pulmonary doctor gave me Symbicort to be used twice a day. The doctor noticed no improvement so he stopped it. I also have Ventolin as a rescue inhaler but also don't notice much change when I use it.

Published: February 04

I have Chronic Bronchitis. I see a pulmonary doctor. He prescribes Sprivia, Abuterol for a nebulizer, and a rescue inhaler. I find none of these give very little relief.

Comment from: Shivaree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had bouts of bronchitis for about 10 months out of the year for the last 2 years. I've been given z pack antibiotics, steroids which are ineffective and occasionally the prescription cough syrup which works for a 2-3 hours at a time. I am desperate for relief. I am on my third doctor in 6 months and he is treating me with the same drugs. So far no improvement. So far the bronchitis has caused scarring in my lungs, laryngitis, pulled muscles, and a fractured rib.

Comment from: Guillaume, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I am 78 years old. I have had chronic bronchitis on and off for as long as I can remember. Often I would cough almost all night and gradually became almost immune to the coughing so that I did not actually wake up. Although there was some coughing during the day it was never as persistent as it was at night. At first I first used codeine linctus syrup to control it. Then I developed asthma. I was prescribed Beclaforte, which is no longer available in the UK.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

Since Nov. 2, I have had bronchitis on and off. I am still having problems and have been experiencing acid reflux and burning in my chest. I have been taking steroid shots and a dose pack and antibiotics and I'm still having problems with bronchitis.

Bronchitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bronchitis.
Chronic Bronchitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your chronic bronchitis?
Acute Bronchitis - Symptoms Question: If you've been diagnosed with acute bronchitis, what were your signs and symptoms?