Patient Comments: Cholesterol - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your cholesterol?

Comment from: Midwife, Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have had success lowering my cholesterol by consuming raw, whole goat's milk. It contains the bacteria acidophilous, which can reduce cholesterol. I had too many side effects with medications.

Comment from: Btv, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

My cholesterol was 249 in March. I was 223 pounds. I exercised three to four times a week and greatly reduced the amount of meat I ate. I also increased veggies and green spinach. I drank smoothies with bananas apples and orange juice. I lost 33 pounds. My cholesterol on 12/20/10 was 165. I'm proof that diet and exercise and no meds can work.

Comment from: Mrs H., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

By reducing my cheese intake, (cheese fan) and only using Logicol, Proactive or Rice Bran oil (this being the better one) and taking 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a tumbler of water 10 mins before breakfast and dinner, I reduced my cholesterol from 5.6 to 4.7 in one month. I do eat healthily: fruit, homemade muesli and tea for breakfast, salad lunches, with 1 slice wholegrain bread, and meat and 3 veg for dinner. Meats include, fish 1-2x weekly, chicken 2x, meat 2x, and one day with only vegetables. I walk daily, plus exercise, and tennis 1x weekly. Exercise is a must for a healthy lifestyle.

Comment from: Nan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Atorvastatin caused insomnia in the form of waking at regular intervals throughout the night and not feeling tired at all. Simvastatin slowly caused me to have difficulty clearing my throat. After two years of being on it, I found it difficult to engage in conversation at all as I was constantly clearing my throat. Eventually, my throat was swollen, painful and bruised. I stopped taking statins for my cholesterol last March and am now able to speak without constantly clearing my throat, although it still feels tight and congested with mucus.

Comment from: Bob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

After taking Lipitor for several months, I was having cognitive difficulties. I was having trouble staying in my lane on the freeway, and I felt tired all of the time. I was unable to really get mentally engaged in meetings at work. I was worrying that I was losing my ability to think and be employed. On a hunch, I stopped the Lipitor. I started feeling a little better every day. It took months to somewhat recover. My doctor switched me to Zetia. I experienced the same problems, but not as severe. I stopped taking it also. Both drugs did improve my cholesterol readings, but the decline in mental ability is not worth it. Over all, it's taken a very long time (about two years) for me to start feeling mentally sharp again.

Comment from: James, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

Curry powder helps with cholesterol. Oatmeal and ground flax seed lowered my LDL and raised my HDL. Ask a doctor about this if you happen to be on coumaden or prescribed blood thinners I was told.

Comment from: shiningmeadow, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 18

My cholesterol and triglycerides were extremely high. I was put on quite a number of statin drugs. They were all removed and now my legs are very weak and ache. Even though I haven't been on statins for more than a year, my legs are still weak and painful. The last med my doctor put me on was Niaspan. That has worked very well. However, I do wish to regain the strength in my legs.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I've just found out that my cholesterol is high. Ratio is 6:1. My blood pressure is on the low side, usually 90/58. Recently, I was told to eat more salt to raise my blood pressure, but that would raise my cholesterol even higher.

Cholesterol - Numbers Question: What are your cholesterol numbers?
Cholesterol - Lifestyle Question: What lifestyle modification strategies are you using to manage your high cholesterol?
Cholesterol - Medications Question: Are you taking medication to lower your high cholesterol?
Cholesterol - Lowering Foods Question: Are you eating cholesterol-lowering foods to manage your high cholesterol?