Patient Comments: Cholesterol - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your cholesterol?

Comment from: JOY, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

The first time I checked my Cholesterol was 6.8 my HDL was 1.4 and LDL was 5.0 FBG was 4.3 that was 7th April, 2009, I was alarmed and my Doctor gave Lipitor and I also changed my eating habit, I stopped every fry food and ate a lot of vegetables and started cooking with Olive oil. I went for the second text in 1st June, 2009 and my total Cholesterol dropped drastically to 3.5, HDL 0.8 LDL 2.3. I continued taking the Lipitor till last month that was February, 2010, and started exercising a lot. I then went and checked it again on 3rd March, 2010, and my total Cholesterol had moved up to 5.96 HDL, 1.66 (H=High Normal) LDL 3.80. Am now going to see my Doctor with the results and see what he has to say about the latest results. But on a whole I believe the Lipitor helped a lot and also the change of life style, because you can take the drugs but if you do not change your eating habit, it will not go down.

Comment from: Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

For about 2 years I tried different prescriptions to lower my cholesterol. Finally after taking a combination of 5mg of Lipitor and 1 gram of Niacin each day my bad cholesterol dropped dramatically, and my good cholesterol went up to between 55 - 60.

Comment from: SE, Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have tried all the statin drugs and have side effects such as sore muscles and joints. What can a person take if all the statins give you side effects?

Comment from: feel good, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

When I began to see my doctor he checked my cholesterol and the LDL was 212 and the good HDL was 50. After treatment and exercise it's now 98 LDL and 58 HDL and I feel great thanks to my doctor.

Comment from: saunders, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I began to use curry powder to increase my HDL and it jumped by 14 pts. It can be sprinkled lightly on most any foods and only enhances the flavor. Raising HDL in this way lowers LDL also.

Cholesterol - Numbers Question: What are your cholesterol numbers?
Cholesterol - Lifestyle Question: What lifestyle modification strategies are you using to manage your high cholesterol?
Cholesterol - Medications Question: Are you taking medication to lower your high cholesterol?
Cholesterol - Lowering Foods Question: Are you eating cholesterol-lowering foods to manage your high cholesterol?