Patient Comments: Cholesterol - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your cholesterol?

Comment from: Dev, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I used to take one raw pulp of Garlic per week. It keeps my LDL level near normal level more than three years. But I walk 6 Km per day. Apart from that, I'm mostly on a vegetable diet. Taking more Garlic will lower your blood pressure. Keep monitoring your LDL and BP.

Comment from: Anil apm, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

My age is 33 years. 6 months ago I tested my lipid profile - report: cholesterol-219mg/dl, triglycerides-185mg/dl, HDL-49 mg/dl, LDL-173 mgs/dl. My doctor prescribed Rosuvastatin-5mg (RANBAXY). I have side effects such as sore muscles and joints.

Comment from: smiley, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

My husband has been on Zocor (20mg/daily) for the past couple of months. He also changed his diet. We cut out all fried foods, and now we just eat chicken and fish and lots of vegetables. He has went from 287 to 177 on his total cholesterol. His HDL has gone from 46 to 49 and his LDL has gone from l96 to l09. I am so excited!

Comment from: Christiane aka Madi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am now 51 and was diagnosed with high cholesterol when I was about 48. I have tried many different drugs to lower my bad cholesterol levels without success. The aches and pains in my hips and shoulders were unbearable until I stopped taking the medication altogether under my doctor's suggestion. Even though I am of slim build, I do not exercise, and I am cigarette smoker (half a pack a day). I am somewhat worried about my high cholesterol level, even more so since my 48-year-old brother had a minor stroke yesterday. I am meeting with my doctor in a week. I will request blood tests to see if my cholesterol level has increased and if so, I will ask him to try another kind of medication.

Comment from: Rahjam , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Lipitor works best for me to keep my cholesterol under control. This was the first drug that was introduced to me and my cholesterol dropped from 6.4 to 4. I was taking 10 mg a day. I'm due for a blood test in November this year to see the level then.

Comment from: morris, Male (Patient) Published: August 08

After being on Simvastatin for about three weeks, I started experiencing fairly severe muscle aches. My legs and shoulders hurt enough to keep me from getting a good night's sleep. After three and a half months, I started taking it only every second day; however, the side effects stayed the same. (My cholesterol dropped beautifully though.) I went off of it recently, and now, after only two months (and I eat very healthy), my cholesterol is way up again.

Published: May 27

After taking statins for more than one week I suffer from mental block, tripping over words and forgetting what I am doing. So bad did it become that my wife thought I had onset of Alzheimer's. I stopped taking the drug and the symptoms vanished. My doctor tried me on several different statin based medicines to lower my cholesterol, all had the same effect after about a week. This was three years ago. Now I just watch my diet.

Comment from: sam, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I have heart disease and I have tried to control my high cholesterol for years. I have tried at least 8 different statin drugs but had to quit all of them due to severe muscle pain & a few other side effects! Now doctor suggests Red Yeast Rice but I am very apprehensive after reading about it Doctors find it hard to believe that my body so strongly rejects all this medication.

Cholesterol - Numbers Question: What are your cholesterol numbers?
Cholesterol - Lifestyle Question: What lifestyle modification strategies are you using to manage your high cholesterol?
Cholesterol - Medications Question: Are you taking medication to lower your high cholesterol?
Cholesterol - Lowering Foods Question: Are you eating cholesterol-lowering foods to manage your high cholesterol?