Chlamydia in Women Overview Index
Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the U.S. Signs and symptoms of chlamydia, a bacterial infection, include vaginal discharge, abdominal pain, burning with urination, blood in the urine, and feelings of urinary urgency and frequency. Untreated chlamydia can cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), increased risk of ectopic pregnancy, and infertility. Chlamydia is diagnosed with a culture or by identification of the genetic material of the bacteria. Treatment of chlamydia consists of a course of antibiotics.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Picture of Chlamydia
A type of bacteria which causes an infection very similar to gonorrhea in the way that it is spread, the symptoms it produces,...learn more »
- sulfamethoxazole, Gantanol, Gantanol DS
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Oracea, Adoxa, Atridox, Acticlate, Doryx, and others)
- erythromycin, Eryc, Ery-Tab, E.E.S, Eryped, PCE, (E-Mycin, Ilosone, and Pediazole are discontinued)
- tetracycline (Sumycin [Discontinued])
Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition that is characterized by vaginal discharge resulting from an overgrowth of...learn more »
In This Article
Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) Article
- What is a urinary tract infection (UTI)?
- What causes a urinary tract infection?
- Are urinary tract infections contagious?
- What are urinary tract infection symptoms and signs?
- When should people seek medical care for a UTI?
- How do physicians diagnose a urinary tract infection?
- What kinds of doctors treat urinary tract infections?
- Are there home remedies for a urinary tract infection?
- What is the treatment for a urinary tract infection?
- What follow-up is needed for a urinary tract infection?
- Is it possible to prevent a urinary tract infection?
- What is the prognosis of a urinary tract infection?
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...learn more »
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...learn more »
In This Article
Vaginal Bleeding Article
- Vaginal bleeding facts
- What is normal vaginal bleeding?
- What is abnormal vaginal bleeding?
- What conditions cause abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are ovulating regularly?
- What conditions cause vaginal bleeding after menopause or abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are not ovulating regularly?
- What causes vaginal bleeding during or after sexual intercourse?
- What causes abnormal vaginal bleeding during pregnancy?
- What diagnostic tests are used to evaluate abnormal vaginal bleeding?
- How is irregular vaginal bleeding treated?
In This Article
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STDs) Article
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STD) facts
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
- Genital Herpes
- Human Papillomaviruses (HPVs) and Genital Warts
- Ectoparasitic Infections
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C