Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Kende, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 18

I am very allergic to chigger bites. My remedy is to cover bite with clear fingernail polish, let it dry and then cover bite with a 50/50 mixture of lavender and tea tree essential oils. The oils stop the itching and begin to heal the bite. The oil mixture is fantastic for mosquito bites.

Comment from: florida gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I swear by an Over The Counter medicine called Chigarid. It's like nail polish, with medicated stuff to prevent infection. I just got dozens of bites on an 11.5 mile hike in the woods, they got through my shoes and socks despite the DEET. Calamine lotion and cortisone cream didn't work for me, but Chigarid gave me instant relief. You have to reapply it a few times a day.

Comment from: silver fox, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have chigger bites around my ankles, behind knees and groin. I use a product called Chiggerex 2x power with 10% benzocaine. This really calms down the itching, at least for me. It still takes a couple of weeks before the itching goes away.

Comment from: Salvaje, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I spent 20 years in the military, and 85% of that time was Central and South America. The army gave us little green bottles that said 'itch relief' and a list of ingredients. It is available over-the-counter, it's called Chigg Away, it uses benzocaine and sulfur as the active ingredients. I swear by this stuff. It repels chiggers too. So before I go out to the yard, I slather up a good amount on my feet and ankles.

Comment from: Angie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Baking soda baths help neutralize the sting of the chigger bites. I took 4 tablespoons of baking soda and 4 tablespoons cornstarch and whisked it into coconut oil (in its liquid state - warm), then put it in fridge a while to turn solid. Rub that on bites and it works! Great relief. I later added a drop of tea tree oil -- even better! Use powdered sulfur from a garden center dusted on your shoes and socks to prevent them.

Comment from: Skinny Chef, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I work as a chef, so I can withstand a little heat than most people. I have found open flames to be very effective. Basically I put the affected area to an open flame, for as long as I can stand, pull it away and let it cool a little and do it again.

Comment from: wrangler, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been incredibly itchy for several weeks and used hydrocortisone ointment and a prescription for poison oak, thinking it was a rash or allergy of some kind. A local pharmacist told me to look up chigger bites. After reading several remedies, I grabbed the first remedy available, which was Windex. I just sprayed the entire area of my right shoulder, and upper back that had been responding minimally to the above ointments. The Windex just took the heat and the itch away. I am amazed! Thrilled! Relieved for now! Astounding! Relief was immediate. My skin hasn't felt this normal in weeks.

Comment from: Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

After dealing with chigger bites since moving to the Midwest, I have found that as soon as you find a chigger bite, get a cotton ball and saturate it with Hydrogen peroxide and hold it on the chigger bite for about a minute. I also rub it a little to make sure I got the whole area. Do not scratch it if it begins to itch, just repeat the hydrogen peroxide again. I have tried every known product for chiggers and none of them work. I am very sensitive to their bites, and they always turned into welts - but last year was the first time I tried this method, and I feel it really helps get rid of the infection much faster and the itching won't be intense as it normally would be. I apply the hydrogen peroxide after showers, before bed and first in the morning and any time I might feel like it's itching at all. The first time I found out about these horrible insects, I had over 50 bites around my torso which welted up to the size of golf balls. I went to my physician - who didn't really have any solution so he sent me to a dermatologist who also didn't know what to do.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.