Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Uncle64, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I must totally agree with this earlier post, it worked great and I had quick relief. Desonide (cortisone) mixed with Neosporin works like a charm clearing my chigger bites up in about 2 days! Benadryl spray worked wonders for relief of itching prior to using the mixture.

Comment from: Jelei, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

I have lived in the country on a ranch my entire life, on a lake, with a creek, prime area for chiggers. I've had them more than you can imagine! Sounds strange but put a coating of nail polish on the affected area. Chiggers live under the skin and the nail polish suffocates and kills them by closing the pores, preventing any oxygen from getting to them. It works like a charm every time, it's all I ever use!

Comment from: daytonplace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am from California and recently visited Miami. I came home with little red dots all over my feet and ankles and they soon turned into the most horrible itch I ever had. Can't sleep at night. I tried everything, so today I remembered that I take turmeric pills every day, so I mixed a little water with one of the pills and made a paste. Wow, instant relief and took the redness and swelling down within 2 minutes. I'm a believer if I ever get bit again by chiggers this is what I will use.

Comment from: Tricia, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopic investigations yesterday at the hospital. I had a terrible experience. I was promised sedation as I had the endoscope down about 18 months ago and said I wouldn't have it done again without sedation. I was treated like a piece of meat in a butchers shop, they roughly put a cannula in my hand (which has left a huge lump in my vein) then shoved the camera down my throat with no sedation. I was crying with pain and gagging. I was then given a so called pain killer in the cannula, which did nothing, again no sedation and they could only go about 12 inches and I was screaming in agony and refused to let them continue. I felt like they were ripping my insides out. This whole experience has left me traumatized and would never have these procedures again at any cost whilst I am awake.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

After reading that colloidal oatmeal was suggested by experts as a possible treatment to ease the extreme itching caused by chigger bites, my wife offered me some Grins and Giggles baby lotion with oatmeal. I don't know if it was colloidal or not, but I applied the lotion to the bites and got immediate relief.

Comment from: Starababa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Compresses of Burow's solution are very effective in reducing itch from chigger bites. I think it can trigger an allergy; each time the reaction is greater, including large blisters.

Comment from: ann379ie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

Comment from: itchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I too suffered chigger bites. They itched like crazy (I am considered to be very good in self-control but I still could not help myself scratching)! I tried everything over the counter but nothing worked. Out of desperation, I reached for my mom's medicated oil (Eagle brand medicated oil) and rubbed it to the itchy area. After two times rubbing, no more itch! If you can stand the smell (Asians use this oil for tummy ache and everything), give it a try, it works for me!

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.