Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

After reading that colloidal oatmeal was suggested by experts as a possible treatment to ease the extreme itching caused by chigger bites, my wife offered me some Grins and Giggles baby lotion with oatmeal. I don't know if it was colloidal or not, but I applied the lotion to the bites and got immediate relief.

Comment from: Starababa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Compresses of Burow's solution are very effective in reducing itch from chigger bites. I think it can trigger an allergy; each time the reaction is greater, including large blisters.

Comment from: ann379ie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

Desonide (cortisone) mixed with Neosporin works like a charm clearing my chigger bites up in about 2 days! Benadryl spray worked wonders for relief of itching prior to using the mixture.

Comment from: itchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I too suffered chigger bites. They itched like crazy (I am considered to be very good in self-control but I still could not help myself scratching)! I tried everything over the counter but nothing worked. Out of desperation, I reached for my mom's medicated oil (Eagle brand medicated oil) and rubbed it to the itchy area. After two times rubbing, no more itch! If you can stand the smell (Asians use this oil for tummy ache and everything), give it a try, it works for me!

Comment from: sicochiggers, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have been dealing with these chiggers for a while now. The best over the counter itch relief I found is Calagel. The Chigg-Away is good too and it will repel them. They get used to it though. Rubbing alcohol kills them on contact. Wash your hair and body with a solution of quarter cut Dawn dish soap and a quart of water. Use a good conditioner after that for your hair. Dawn breaks them down. They will die from Borax and it will keep them out of your closet when left on the floor; be generous with application. Sulphur will also repel them and it is cheap. Put it on your pants' legs and what not. They love your inner ears. Olive oil or mineral oil applied, a couple of drops each ear, will smother them. They are a living misery on earth once in the house. I could write a book about it. Windex that actually has ammonia works to kill them too. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: littledaisy, Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was bitten all over by chiggers. I tried everything, including corticosteroid and Benadryl creams, calamine, etc. I still itched horribly. Then I tried pure tea tree oil. It worked! Itching is down 95% and bites are clearing up. It's miraculous. Do try it!

Comment from: tim, Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have tried everything and tonight I soaked my ankles in Epsom salt water and all the pain and itching was gone!

Comment from: w8n2fish, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I live in the mountains of Northeast Tennessee and not so pleasantly been introduced to chigger bites. Did not have this problem in the northeast. A friend turned me onto Jewelweed. It grows wild around moist areas and near poison ivy. At first poison ivy is what I used it for. It works unbelievable, stops the itch immediately and cures it faster than getting shots. Well, I figured I would try it on chigger bites and it has the same result. I have found the fastest method of ridding of chigger bites and the itch from them is to pinch the chigger bite and you will get a little red spot in the middle and clear fluid; then rub on jewelweed extract. I find Jewelweed plants easily in roadsides or near brooks or creeks where it's moist. Take the plant and cut it up into 2 to 3 inch sections, squeeze the fluid out (I use a vise) and collect it in a jar or pill bottle and keep it in the fridge. Believe me no better cure for chigger bites or poison ivy and zero cost.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.