Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Betsy, 45-54 Female Published: June 13

For many of the last 12 years I've camped in summer in an area of South Dakota which is very chigger-infested. I've been told that this is because cattle sometimes roam there. Chiggers love me and I've had dozens or hundreds of bites over the years. First, unless you're itching around your waistline, groin or bra-line, you probably don't have chiggers. Sometimes you'll be lucky to catch them at your ankles, but not usually, as they will not bite until they've found a dark, humid, soft area. Once you have them, you can try putting Vick's or Vaseline on the bites to smother them (watch for red dots, because sometimes they just move a few inches over!) Some people just don't get chiggers; I guess they're picky eaters. HERE'S HOW YOU PREVENT THEM: every day, apply Avon's Skin-so-soft lotion to your ankles and outside of your socks. If it's too hot for socks, generously apply to feet, even the bottom of your feet! do this before you even get out of your tent. Then re-apply every few hours. If you're as vulnerable as I am, diligent use of Skin-so-Soft means maybe you'll only have 4 or 6 chigger bites by the end of the camping trip, instead of 75 or so! Another tip: stay out of the tall grass!!

Comment from: Marcie4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I used my Roseaca medicine, Metrogel on them. First application, no more itching. It was like magic!

Comment from: Ken, 55-64 Male Published: June 12

I work on cell towers in the mountains of Tn. and chiggers are a daily experience. I have found that using Deep Woods OFF, sprayed on my shoes, pant legs, my socks and my calves this prevents the little buggers from biting and keeps them off of me and my clothes. I ran out of it the other day and went to a cell site to work, I now have over 300 bites and itch and burning is intense, my own fault but I'll not be without OFF again.

Comment from: mamasue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I work outside a lot and get chigger bites. The only thing that reduces the itching and treats them effectively is nail polish. Corticosteroid cream does not help.

Comment from: Alan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I've been applying an OTC product called After Bite Itch Eraser. It's basically Ammonia 3.5% with some "natural" oil – I suspect olive or mineral oil. It burns a bit if you've been scratching, but relieves the itch in about 20-30 minutes. So far, (48 hours later), a single application on each bite has been effective.

Comment from: Laughingfalcon, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 09

Get a magnifying glass. If you have a chigger, you will see a tiny red dot, which looks like a teeny drop of blood. You might also need good lighting – use a flashlight. Once you see the red dot, scrape it away with your fingernail. The bite will still itch a little but will go away sooner. If you get it soon enough it can go away immediately.

Comment from: Capt. Tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I have read numerous articles for treatment and have tried everything from Epsom salts to hand sanitizer, but the only thing that has relieved the itching is Absorbine Jr. Read the label, it states: "It is also an effective first aid antiseptic for relief of non-poisonous insect bites." What a relief!

Comment from: In florida, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Cover the bites with vaseline. It stops the itching immediately. I don't know if the little guys are suffocated or it just relieves the itching, but it works.

Comment from: Gin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Using various ointments to stop the chigger bite itching didn't seem to do the job, but I did find something that helps for bug bites as well as poison ivy. Hot water. As hot as you can stand, right on the spot. Do this for as long as you can bear it. It seems to break up the histamine responsible for the itch, and for me, works up to 8 hours at a time. While you are applying the hot water though, be prepared for intense itching while using the water. That lets you know that the histamine is breaking up.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.