Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: leigh rockwell, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

While camping I became bitten by chiggers. I put North American Herb and Spice Oreganol oil P-73 on the bites. It kills bacteria and stopped the itching. Very healing. It can be used for many other things orally or topically. All natural mountain grown oregano. I love it and use for a number of things-even viruses, colds.

Comment from: Chigger magnet, Published: June 29

Absorbine Jr. works great for chigger bites! A friend just told me about it. I really got attacked over the weekend and this has taken the edge off the itch like nothing else has.

Comment from: Les, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I played softball a couple of days ago and everyone suffered from chigger bug bites. I had extreme itching that was driving me crazy. I decided to surf the web for remedies. Someone posted to use biofreeze for immediate relief. Instead I used mineral ice just to see if it would work. Well, it works. I will continue this treatment. I used Benadryl, but only got temporary relief. I hope this lasts. I will trade off smelling like an old man instead of scratching myself insane.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 06

I live in a wooded area and have struggled for years with chiggers until someone told me to use antiperspirant on and around the area of the bites. I also put it behind the knees, groin area, waist and armpits. Works like magic to stop the spread of them. Maybe because the chiggers require a moist environment to survive.

Comment from: janapana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

Thank you, thank you to the person that suggested using Biofreeze on chigger bites. Tried it early this morning (3:30 am) after a day of scratching till I was insane. Seconds after putting it on the itching stopped. Did a second dose later that morning and have not itched since. Your advice was a God send. I send kisses your way. I had about 100 bites and they have all stopped. I am going do another round just in case.

Comment from: Jerry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

I had many chigger bites over the years and I found out by using vinegar on the bite will stop the itching immediately; you will have to put the vinegar on the bites every couple hours. You can use a Q tip to apply the vinegar. Hope this stops you from losing your mind from the itching.

Comment from: delfinab, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

Cool Mint Listerine works great for chigger bites! I get bit a lot because our property is too large to completely treat and eradicate. The Listerine cools the itching and helps it heal faster. I just rub the Listerine on with a cotton ball every time it starts to itch or swell.

Published: August 03

First off, let me say that this is the most painful, annoying thing I've ever experienced. I'd say I have close to 300 chigger bites all over my legs. It is my second day with them and I have found that icepacks and cold showers feel amazing, I am taking an antihistamine every 4 hours, and abusing the anti-itch crème, but nothing really stops the itching and severe burning I feel. I just hope that it doesn't last as long as some people do.

Comment from: ice water, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

Had chiggers on my ankles, couldn't take it any more was using calamine lotion, but wasn't doing the trick, brother said have to soak in cold water as much as possible, I said how about a bucket of cold water filled with ice, he said you can try, so I did and it wasn't plesant, but the itching stopped immediately. I soaked them with more cold ice water for about 10 minutes and put some more calamine lotion after. So far it's working great.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.