Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Ken, 55-64 Male Published: June 12

I work on cell towers in the mountains of Tn. and chiggers are a daily experience. I have found that using Deep Woods OFF, sprayed on my shoes, pant legs, my socks and my calves this prevents the little buggers from biting and keeps them off of me and my clothes. I ran out of it the other day and went to a cell site to work, I now have over 300 bites and itch and burning is intense, my own fault but I'll not be without OFF again.

Comment from: mamasue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I work outside a lot and get chigger bites. The only thing that reduces the itching and treats them effectively is nail polish. Corticosteroid cream does not help.

Comment from: Alan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I've been applying an OTC product called After Bite Itch Eraser. It's basically Ammonia 3.5% with some "natural" oil – I suspect olive or mineral oil. It burns a bit if you've been scratching, but relieves the itch in about 20-30 minutes. So far, (48 hours later), a single application on each bite has been effective.

Comment from: Laughingfalcon, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 09

Get a magnifying glass. If you have a chigger, you will see a tiny red dot, which looks like a teeny drop of blood. You might also need good lighting – use a flashlight. Once you see the red dot, scrape it away with your fingernail. The bite will still itch a little but will go away sooner. If you get it soon enough it can go away immediately.

Comment from: Capt. Tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I have read numerous articles for treatment and have tried everything from Epsom salts to hand sanitizer, but the only thing that has relieved the itching is Absorbine Jr. Read the label, it states: "It is also an effective first aid antiseptic for relief of non-poisonous insect bites." What a relief!

Comment from: In florida, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Cover the bites with vaseline. It stops the itching immediately. I don't know if the little guys are suffocated or it just relieves the itching, but it works.

Comment from: Gin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Using various ointments to stop the chigger bite itching didn't seem to do the job, but I did find something that helps for bug bites as well as poison ivy. Hot water. As hot as you can stand, right on the spot. Do this for as long as you can bear it. It seems to break up the histamine responsible for the itch, and for me, works up to 8 hours at a time. While you are applying the hot water though, be prepared for intense itching while using the water. That lets you know that the histamine is breaking up.

Comment from: genesisjenna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Obviously, the best thing to do is spray with a good insect repellant before going into the woods, this definitely works. You know, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I have tried everything from fingernail polish, bleach, alcohol, and kerosene with very little relief. Then one day I was in such misery that I tried anything I could find. I used Ivarest that day and discovered that Ivarest (for relief of poison ivy) gave relief for quite a few hours, and the chiggers didn't last as many days as usual. I live in the wilderness where there is an abundance of chiggers and seed ticks.

Comment from: Rebecca, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

After possible exposure (nature hike in GA) I scrubbed firmly with a washrag using pure beef tallow soap. This soap really sucks dirt out of pores, and helped keep the bites small and tolerable. I treated the bigger bites from the day before by wetting the soap and rubbing it on the effective area. It took the itch out for a few hours, then I retreated. We washed all hair, affected clothes, bedding and pets, too. Good luck. Thanks for information on this site!

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.