Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: sam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

This is my first time with chiggers. After two days I decided to try something radical. I scrape off the scab with my fingernail, which takes the dead skin off and leaves a dot of blood. No more itch but it needs to be done early when the bump is small or it gets too sore. I rub with aloe when done and no more itch. Those i removed two days ago have a red scab but have not itched since then. Aloe also helps for the itch if you don't want to scrape the bumps, but it sounds like these take a long time to heal and I'm impatient.

Comment from: JM, 55-64 Female Published: July 10

The best way to get rid of chiggers immediately is to use a fingernail brush and soapy water in the shower to try to get them off of your skin. Then apply "Rid" head lice lotion which is available OTC at any pharmacy to the affected area. Let sit for 15 minutes and then wash off in the shower with hot soapy water and a wash cloth. The itch will stop and the next day the bites will already be healing.

Comment from: Rose Campion, Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have used used scalding hot water for many kinds of bites. I put a damp paper towel in the microwave for 10 or 20 seconds, then carefully apply to the bite for just a few seconds, once or twice. The hot water temporarily desensitizes the skin, stopping the itch scratch cycle for several hours. It's like when you drink a hot liquid and burn your tongue and cannot taste anything. You have to be very carefull, and it only works if you don't have too many bites, but if you are sensitive to bites, it is a lifesaver. I have used this for poisen oak and mosquito bites as well

Comment from: Jnjhowell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

Use alcohol on a cotton ball to bring chigger to skin, remove with tweezers and apply Gold Bond for relief. Seems to be working tonight! Used this on a friend 25 years ago And now on myself!

Comment from: pcolalgal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I found out that kerosene works also and also bleach baths.

Comment from: Pixie, Female (Caregiver) Published: June 17

I like to use essential oils of peppermint and lime mixed with witch hazel. The peppermint cools and dries and the lime cools and smells fantastic. Witch hazel is mildly drying and keeps the welt clean. I put the mixture in a small spray bottle so I don't have to touch the hot, itchy spot. It's inexpensive too. Never put poisons of any kind directly on your skin.

Comment from: Betsy, 45-54 Female Published: June 13

For many of the last 12 years I've camped in summer in an area of South Dakota which is very chigger-infested. I've been told that this is because cattle sometimes roam there. Chiggers love me and I've had dozens or hundreds of bites over the years. First, unless you're itching around your waistline, groin or bra-line, you probably don't have chiggers. Sometimes you'll be lucky to catch them at your ankles, but not usually, as they will not bite until they've found a dark, humid, soft area. Once you have them, you can try putting Vick's or Vaseline on the bites to smother them (watch for red dots, because sometimes they just move a few inches over!) Some people just don't get chiggers; I guess they're picky eaters. HERE'S HOW YOU PREVENT THEM: every day, apply Avon's Skin-so-soft lotion to your ankles and outside of your socks. If it's too hot for socks, generously apply to feet, even the bottom of your feet! do this before you even get out of your tent. Then re-apply every few hours. If you're as vulnerable as I am, diligent use of Skin-so-Soft means maybe you'll only have 4 or 6 chigger bites by the end of the camping trip, instead of 75 or so! Another tip: stay out of the tall grass!!

Comment from: Marcie4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I used my Roseaca medicine, Metrogel on them. First application, no more itching. It was like magic!

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.