Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: DB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I had real problems sleeping last night, the itching was so bad. After reading the posts I took a hot bath in our garden tube with epsom salt mixed in. Then, because epsom salt tends to dry the skin, I took a hot shower using a good body wash with skin moisturizer. After that I used a spray lotion I purchased from CVS. Just awoke from a really nice nap and although I don't know how long the relief will last, I feel great at this moment. These little bugs are bad news!

Comment from: It's a dry heat, 35-44 Male Published: August 27

I went hiking in the mountains and got chiggers bad. I searched all over and itched all over with no relief. I thought it may be a larve, so I headed to store and bought some Rid-X and it worked great. Now even if I mow the grass, I go take a shower and use the Rid-X if I have one itch.

Comment from: Margie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had always heard to put clear nail polish on the bitten area, but it didn't work for me. Then I read that the chiggers don't burrow in the skin as I had heard, so don't they don't need to be smothered. I am currently suffering from chiggers and have found that soaking in a tub of warm water with baking soda and salt helps. I even rubbed sea salt directly into the affected areas and so far it's working.

Comment from: Bruno, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

Heat, Heat, and more Heat. Take a scalding hot shower twice a day. That is the secret to happiness.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My first and worst case of chigger bites was over a hundred of them on my upper thigh area. I tried tape, nail polish, baking soda and more, but the only thing that helped was Chigarid!

Comment from: Scott, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I never had these before. They got to be real itchy. I found a great remedy. I took a hot shower and used seacret salt and oil salt scrub. I also put on hand sanitizer with aloe, and the itching stopped immediately and lasted all day. I reapplied at bed time, great remedy.

Comment from: J.M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

When I was a child, my siblings and I used to get chigger bites from playing in our yard (we lived near a wooded area). Our grandmother used to save bacon-grease and occasionally gave mom a jar. Mom would put a dab of bacon-grease on the spot and within an hour or so the itch was gone and the inflammation was disappearing.

Comment from: JadedX, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Currently using witch hazel, chilled in the fridge, on my chigger bites. I have had no pain or itching at all. I got a 6oz bottle at a local dollar store.

Comment from: weedsaltillo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

When as a child, we would go black berry picking. You would always get covered with chiggers if you did not soak in a salt bath that same day after your walk with nature. This is for those who know that chiggers will be on you. Just let the day go by without the table salt bath in cool water and you're covered with chiggers. On the other hand my pharmacist told me he used a solution of Pinesol in cool water and soaked for 10 to 20 minutes. His childhood experience was the sprinkling of sulfur dust on all lower clothing and lower body. This was mentioned above. I tried the Pinesol and it appears to have killed the majority. You'll have to estimate the amount of Pinesol, but I used about a cup to 10 to 15 gallons of water in the tub and soak 10 minutes. Unsure how it would affect my skin, I then showered in warm water. It was effective in killing most all areas. I also believe the nail polish works for the few bites.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.