Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Kiki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Tea Tree Oil. I'm fighting them now it seems to work well.

Comment from: nascar7139, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Just had my first encounter with chiggers. Found local remedy for itching worked just as well as anything else I have read, Benadryl was good. Wondering how long they last? It has been almost 2 weeks since my exposure and some them still itch and some are still red. I am thinking I may have had an allergic reaction to the bites, but not sure since never experienced them before. Will be seeing my doctor on another matter in a few days and will see what she has to say. Thought they would be gone by now.

Comment from: JoCo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

Just tried the vicks vapo rub on my chiggers and it seems to be quieting the itch. I don't get mosquito bites, (they bite me but I don't get the itchy bumps from them-lucky me!!) but if they itch anything as insanely as chiggers, I feel sorry for the people who have to deal with them AND chiggers too!! The itch is maddening!!!

Comment from: 51Harlee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I tried [3] given methods, results were: 1- vicks didn't work well, it was temporary but left me itching more. 2- aspirin provided immediate relief BUT 3- baking soda burned a little, but provided the Best at Long time non-itch. I had a couple places I had scratched already and they took longer, BUT I found washing with soap & water each evening and reapplying was Necessary - I washed the lower and not the upper leg areas only to find the washed area healed faster. Finally, I kept powder baking soda with me and applied it as necessary because some areas continued to leak - the continual application helped form a good cover - scab. I cannot use deet and chemicals, I used Skin So Soft OIL- obviously didn't have it on the day I went in to the farm field. However, my lawn maintenance friend said he uses diesel fuel on the bottoms of his jeans and has no problems with chiggers, and he cuts all over Kansas and Montana.

Published: July 26

I had went to a friends house who has horses oustide basically in their front yard. They also have cats and dogs inside. When i got home i noticed all these tiny bugs all over my and my 3 month old daughter. my first thought was bed bugs. My fiance was convinced that they were ticks but i don't think that was possible because they were all the same size and so small. His dad then suggested that they could possibly be chiggers. After doing some research I think his dad is right. I had probably a 100 on me. As soon as i noticed them on me and my daughter we got in the bath. They were mainly on my left thigh and my groin, but every where there was a bug there is now a bite mark that itches uncontrollably. It itches so bad in my sleep i wake up and have to rub germ-x on my legs to make it stop.

Comment from: m.j., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

After 2 days of NO RELIEF. I've used vaporub and aerosol hair spray. Slept like a baby and quick itch relief

Comment from: Howdy, 25-34 Male Published: July 17

I have found that a good long swim in a regular chlorinated pool helps.

Comment from: Nette97, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I use this Amish gel called Unkers and it takes the itch right out of them !

Comment from: barrygood, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

i have found that a hand held hair dryer works in relieving the pain for hours and helps dry the sore up faster. just put the dryer on medium heat and direct the air at the sore. keep the air on as long as you can bear( it hurts) take the air off the sore. when the skin cools a little repeat a few more times.the pain goes away for hours.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.