Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Laughingfalcon, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 09

Get a magnifying glass. If you have a chigger, you will see a tiny red dot, which looks like a teeny drop of blood. You might also need good lighting – use a flashlight. Once you see the red dot, scrape it away with your fingernail. The bite will still itch a little but will go away sooner. If you get it soon enough it can go away immediately.

Comment from: Capt. Tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I have read numerous articles for treatment and have tried everything from Epsom salts to hand sanitizer, but the only thing that has relieved the itching is Absorbine Jr. Read the label, it states: "It is also an effective first aid antiseptic for relief of non-poisonous insect bites." What a relief!

Comment from: In florida, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Cover the bites with vaseline. It stops the itching immediately. I don't know if the little guys are suffocated or it just relieves the itching, but it works.

Comment from: Gin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Using various ointments to stop the chigger bite itching didn't seem to do the job, but I did find something that helps for bug bites as well as poison ivy. Hot water. As hot as you can stand, right on the spot. Do this for as long as you can bear it. It seems to break up the histamine responsible for the itch, and for me, works up to 8 hours at a time. While you are applying the hot water though, be prepared for intense itching while using the water. That lets you know that the histamine is breaking up.

Comment from: genesisjenna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Obviously, the best thing to do is spray with a good insect repellant before going into the woods, this definitely works. You know, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I have tried everything from fingernail polish, bleach, alcohol, and kerosene with very little relief. Then one day I was in such misery that I tried anything I could find. I used Ivarest that day and discovered that Ivarest (for relief of poison ivy) gave relief for quite a few hours, and the chiggers didn't last as many days as usual. I live in the wilderness where there is an abundance of chiggers and seed ticks.

Comment from: Rebecca, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

After possible exposure (nature hike in GA) I scrubbed firmly with a washrag using pure beef tallow soap. This soap really sucks dirt out of pores, and helped keep the bites small and tolerable. I treated the bigger bites from the day before by wetting the soap and rubbing it on the effective area. It took the itch out for a few hours, then I retreated. We washed all hair, affected clothes, bedding and pets, too. Good luck. Thanks for information on this site!

Comment from: bellaco98, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

Chiggers were especially bad this year. My remedy for relief of bites when they occur is to scrub them with Dawn dish soap using the scratchy side of a kitchen sponge. This gives about 10 hours of relief from itching, so twice a day for a couple of days does the trick for me.

Comment from: asiebels, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

Benadryl no, Chiggarid no, clear nail polish no. I ended up getting Prednisone from my doctor. I got my chiggers from my garden and they have been hanging around for a week, a few have been there for about four weeks.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 06

I put benadryl and other calamine type lotions on my daughters legs and benadryl was the best of those options, but I finally put the cold aloe gel you keep in the fridge on her legs and she was asleep within 10 minutes. The others had her up all through the night digging and in agony.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.