Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Reetie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I never had chigger bites in my life! I didn't even know these were chigger bites until yesterday when a friend told me they were not mosquito bites. He suggested the nail polish trick but I have sensitive skin. He said you basically need to "suffocate" the bites. I once heard Scotch magic tape stops the itch, so last night I went to bed looking like an office supply store, but I did not itch all night! I also got some relief from Biofreeze, available from chiropractors or hospital physical therapy units. Thanks to everyone who submitted their relief stories! When you're that intensely itchy, you'll try anything!

Comment from: fourteenwest, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

Windex was effective for chigger bites! It's amazing, and readily available under your sink!

Comment from: guest, (Patient) Published: August 07

Pouring hot water, as hot as you can handle without scalding yourself, provides relief from the intense itching of chigger bites but has to be repeated after a few hours. This is what allowed me to sleep after I got 30 or so bites on both legs up to my knees.

Comment from: Heyjules, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I went camping a couple weeks ago and the next day I had chigger bites all over. I know tanning beds are a no-no, but a couple of days later I went to a tanning bed and noted that night/early next day that the bites were starting to scab over. Good ever since!

Comment from: Farm Boy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I remember getting chiggers as a kid when we baled straw on the farm. We would get a few bites on our arms and legs. Nail polish was our treatment. We thought they burrowed into the skin, not so. I have not had chiggers for 40 years, until this year! First round, 50-75 bites, are almost healed. Second round about 50 more bites after weeding a flower bed that I had dirt hauled in for. The chiggers or eggs were in that dirt! Today they get a taste of insecticide!

Comment from: perserverence, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

Useful aroma oils for chigger bites and other bites as well include tea tree oil, lavender oil, and peppermint oil. In addition, aloe vera gel and alcohol are helpful. See which one is best for you.

Comment from: Skinny Chef, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I work as a chef, so I can withstand a little heat than most people. I have found open flames to be very effective. Basically I put the affected area to an open flame, for as long as I can stand, pull it away and let it cool a little and do it again.

Comment from: Jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

For my chigger bites I used Betamethasone Dipropionate ointment USP (augmented) .05%. It stops the itching, redness, and swelling. A prescription is required from a medical professional.

Comment from: DR. Frank, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

The most effective, immediate remedy for the itching of a chigger bite is Vicks Vapor Rub. Just rub it onto the bite area, and they are gone!

Comment from: Vicki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have a terrible case of chiggers and my husband is suffering also. In desperation one night, he scratched his bites and then applied Listerine! I thought it was a little crazy, but last night I was suffering and did the same thing and I felt quick relief! I showered this morning and reapplied before going to work. It has been 3 hours now and still no itching. Hoping it will last all day! I don't know if it's killing the little buggers, though I'm sure they have fresh breath!

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.