Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Rose Campion, Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have used used scalding hot water for many kinds of bites. I put a damp paper towel in the microwave for 10 or 20 seconds, then carefully apply to the bite for just a few seconds, once or twice. The hot water temporarily desensitizes the skin, stopping the itch scratch cycle for several hours. It's like when you drink a hot liquid and burn your tongue and cannot taste anything. You have to be very carefull, and it only works if you don't have too many bites, but if you are sensitive to bites, it is a lifesaver. I have used this for poisen oak and mosquito bites as well

Comment from: Jnjhowell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

Use alcohol on a cotton ball to bring chigger to skin, remove with tweezers and apply Gold Bond for relief. Seems to be working tonight! Used this on a friend 25 years ago And now on myself!

Comment from: pcolalgal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I found out that kerosene works also and also bleach baths.

Comment from: Pixie, Female (Caregiver) Published: June 17

I like to use essential oils of peppermint and lime mixed with witch hazel. The peppermint cools and dries and the lime cools and smells fantastic. Witch hazel is mildly drying and keeps the welt clean. I put the mixture in a small spray bottle so I don't have to touch the hot, itchy spot. It's inexpensive too. Never put poisons of any kind directly on your skin.

Comment from: Betsy, 45-54 Female Published: June 13

For many of the last 12 years I've camped in summer in an area of South Dakota which is very chigger-infested. I've been told that this is because cattle sometimes roam there. Chiggers love me and I've had dozens or hundreds of bites over the years. First, unless you're itching around your waistline, groin or bra-line, you probably don't have chiggers. Sometimes you'll be lucky to catch them at your ankles, but not usually, as they will not bite until they've found a dark, humid, soft area. Once you have them, you can try putting Vick's or Vaseline on the bites to smother them (watch for red dots, because sometimes they just move a few inches over!) Some people just don't get chiggers; I guess they're picky eaters. HERE'S HOW YOU PREVENT THEM: every day, apply Avon's Skin-so-soft lotion to your ankles and outside of your socks. If it's too hot for socks, generously apply to feet, even the bottom of your feet! do this before you even get out of your tent. Then re-apply every few hours. If you're as vulnerable as I am, diligent use of Skin-so-Soft means maybe you'll only have 4 or 6 chigger bites by the end of the camping trip, instead of 75 or so! Another tip: stay out of the tall grass!!

Comment from: Marcie4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I used my Roseaca medicine, Metrogel on them. First application, no more itching. It was like magic!

Comment from: Ken, 55-64 Male Published: June 12

I work on cell towers in the mountains of Tn. and chiggers are a daily experience. I have found that using Deep Woods OFF, sprayed on my shoes, pant legs, my socks and my calves this prevents the little buggers from biting and keeps them off of me and my clothes. I ran out of it the other day and went to a cell site to work, I now have over 300 bites and itch and burning is intense, my own fault but I'll not be without OFF again.

Comment from: mamasue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I work outside a lot and get chigger bites. The only thing that reduces the itching and treats them effectively is nail polish. Corticosteroid cream does not help.

Comment from: Alan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I've been applying an OTC product called After Bite Itch Eraser. It's basically Ammonia 3.5% with some "natural" oil – I suspect olive or mineral oil. It burns a bit if you've been scratching, but relieves the itch in about 20-30 minutes. So far, (48 hours later), a single application on each bite has been effective.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.