Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: perserverence, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

Useful aroma oils for chigger bites and other bites as well include tea tree oil, lavender oil, and peppermint oil. In addition, aloe vera gel and alcohol are helpful. See which one is best for you.

Comment from: Skinny Chef, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I work as a chef, so I can withstand a little heat than most people. I have found open flames to be very effective. Basically I put the affected area to an open flame, for as long as I can stand, pull it away and let it cool a little and do it again.

Comment from: Jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

For my chigger bites I used Betamethasone Dipropionate ointment USP (augmented) .05%. It stops the itching, redness, and swelling. A prescription is required from a medical professional.

Comment from: DR. Frank, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

The most effective, immediate remedy for the itching of a chigger bite is Vicks Vapor Rub. Just rub it onto the bite area, and they are gone!

Comment from: Vicki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have a terrible case of chiggers and my husband is suffering also. In desperation one night, he scratched his bites and then applied Listerine! I thought it was a little crazy, but last night I was suffering and did the same thing and I felt quick relief! I showered this morning and reapplied before going to work. It has been 3 hours now and still no itching. Hoping it will last all day! I don't know if it's killing the little buggers, though I'm sure they have fresh breath!

Comment from: bliss, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

The best product I have found for the relief of chigger bites is Chiggerex Plus! It's an OTC medicated ointment containing 5% benzocaine, aloe, chamomile, and several natural oils.

Published: September 25

After taking a walk with a friend in the Southeastern Virginia woods, I woke up in the middle of the night itching terribly. I am covered with chigger bites. It's been 6 days now. Benadryl helps and also hot showers and something I picked up from the pharmacy, an OTC solution called "Chigarid". That helps. If I've been scratching too much the Chigarid will burn but it does give relief. I have close to two hundred bites, mostly on my thighs, ankles and crotch areas. I have a few bites in the armpit area. A friend gave my a Chinese herbal that's used to treat poison ivy and it has been helpful. It is called "Hua She Jie Yang Wan". My friend did not get bit; and he was wearing shorts!

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

After reading a few remedies regarding vinegar, I remembered another Caribbean trick for alleviating jelly fish stings. It sounds a little crazy, but I basically coated my feet - the affected area - in Windex, and the itching almost immediately stopped. Instead of wiping it off, I put on slipper socks to heat them up. Next time, I'll remember the bug spray.

Published: September 25

I had four little bites right where the waistband of my jean skirt met my waist and after three days of horrible itching from such little bites my cousin said they looked like chigger bites and that I should put nail polish on it. I had been using OTC cortisone cream, neosporin, taken a benadryl, a bath in epsom salt all within the last three days and nothing was making the itch go away. I decided to give the nail polish a try, worked excellent. The blisters are gone and they don't itch at all after only an hour or so after trying it.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.