Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Salvaje, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I spent 20 years in the military, and 85% of that time was Central and South America. The army gave us little green bottles that said 'itch relief' and a list of ingredients. It is available over-the-counter, it's called Chigg Away, it uses benzocaine and sulfur as the active ingredients. I swear by this stuff. It repels chiggers too. So before I go out to the yard, I slather up a good amount on my feet and ankles.

Comment from: Angie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Baking soda baths help neutralize the sting of the chigger bites. I took 4 tablespoons of baking soda and 4 tablespoons cornstarch and whisked it into coconut oil (in its liquid state - warm), then put it in fridge a while to turn solid. Rub that on bites and it works! Great relief. I later added a drop of tea tree oil -- even better! Use powdered sulfur from a garden center dusted on your shoes and socks to prevent them.

Comment from: Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

After dealing with chigger bites since moving to the Midwest, I have found that as soon as you find a chigger bite, get a cotton ball and saturate it with Hydrogen peroxide and hold it on the chigger bite for about a minute. I also rub it a little to make sure I got the whole area. Do not scratch it if it begins to itch, just repeat the hydrogen peroxide again. I have tried every known product for chiggers and none of them work. I am very sensitive to their bites, and they always turned into welts - but last year was the first time I tried this method, and I feel it really helps get rid of the infection much faster and the itching won't be intense as it normally would be. I apply the hydrogen peroxide after showers, before bed and first in the morning and any time I might feel like it's itching at all. The first time I found out about these horrible insects, I had over 50 bites around my torso which welted up to the size of golf balls. I went to my physician - who didn't really have any solution so he sent me to a dermatologist who also didn't know what to do.

Comment from: Janice, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

I and a friend had been out walking around my new yard. I had bites that I thought were dear flies. My friend had many bites that we thought were fleas because I had treated my cats. By day two we figured out it was chiggers. The itching is unbearable. The new neosporin that works on eczema works for the itch. also if you can resist the urge to scratch it seems to help.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female Published: October 18

My doctor prescribed a high potent Cortizone cream halobetasol 0.05% cream. Cleared up the itching right away. I should have visited him immediately instead of trying different remedies I was seeing on the internet.

Comment from: Reetie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I never had chigger bites in my life! I didn't even know these were chigger bites until yesterday when a friend told me they were not mosquito bites. He suggested the nail polish trick but I have sensitive skin. He said you basically need to "suffocate" the bites. I once heard Scotch magic tape stops the itch, so last night I went to bed looking like an office supply store, but I did not itch all night! I also got some relief from Biofreeze, available from chiropractors or hospital physical therapy units. Thanks to everyone who submitted their relief stories! When you're that intensely itchy, you'll try anything!

Comment from: fourteenwest, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

Windex was effective for chigger bites! It's amazing, and readily available under your sink!

Comment from: guest, (Patient) Published: August 07

Pouring hot water, as hot as you can handle without scalding yourself, provides relief from the intense itching of chigger bites but has to be repeated after a few hours. This is what allowed me to sleep after I got 30 or so bites on both legs up to my knees.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.