Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

After dealing with chigger bites since moving to the Midwest, I have found that as soon as you find a chigger bite, get a cotton ball and saturate it with Hydrogen peroxide and hold it on the chigger bite for about a minute. I also rub it a little to make sure I got the whole area. Do not scratch it if it begins to itch, just repeat the hydrogen peroxide again. I have tried every known product for chiggers and none of them work. I am very sensitive to their bites, and they always turned into welts - but last year was the first time I tried this method, and I feel it really helps get rid of the infection much faster and the itching won't be intense as it normally would be. I apply the hydrogen peroxide after showers, before bed and first in the morning and any time I might feel like it's itching at all. The first time I found out about these horrible insects, I had over 50 bites around my torso which welted up to the size of golf balls. I went to my physician - who didn't really have any solution so he sent me to a dermatologist who also didn't know what to do.

Comment from: Janice, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

I and a friend had been out walking around my new yard. I had bites that I thought were dear flies. My friend had many bites that we thought were fleas because I had treated my cats. By day two we figured out it was chiggers. The itching is unbearable. The new neosporin that works on eczema works for the itch. also if you can resist the urge to scratch it seems to help.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female Published: October 18

My doctor prescribed a high potent Cortizone cream halobetasol 0.05% cream. Cleared up the itching right away. I should have visited him immediately instead of trying different remedies I was seeing on the internet.

Comment from: Reetie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I never had chigger bites in my life! I didn't even know these were chigger bites until yesterday when a friend told me they were not mosquito bites. He suggested the nail polish trick but I have sensitive skin. He said you basically need to "suffocate" the bites. I once heard Scotch magic tape stops the itch, so last night I went to bed looking like an office supply store, but I did not itch all night! I also got some relief from Biofreeze, available from chiropractors or hospital physical therapy units. Thanks to everyone who submitted their relief stories! When you're that intensely itchy, you'll try anything!

Comment from: fourteenwest, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

Windex was effective for chigger bites! It's amazing, and readily available under your sink!

Comment from: guest, (Patient) Published: August 07

Pouring hot water, as hot as you can handle without scalding yourself, provides relief from the intense itching of chigger bites but has to be repeated after a few hours. This is what allowed me to sleep after I got 30 or so bites on both legs up to my knees.

Comment from: Heyjules, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I went camping a couple weeks ago and the next day I had chigger bites all over. I know tanning beds are a no-no, but a couple of days later I went to a tanning bed and noted that night/early next day that the bites were starting to scab over. Good ever since!

Comment from: Farm Boy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I remember getting chiggers as a kid when we baled straw on the farm. We would get a few bites on our arms and legs. Nail polish was our treatment. We thought they burrowed into the skin, not so. I have not had chiggers for 40 years, until this year! First round, 50-75 bites, are almost healed. Second round about 50 more bites after weeding a flower bed that I had dirt hauled in for. The chiggers or eggs were in that dirt! Today they get a taste of insecticide!

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.