Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Published: September 25

I had four little bites right where the waistband of my jean skirt met my waist and after three days of horrible itching from such little bites my cousin said they looked like chigger bites and that I should put nail polish on it. I had been using OTC cortisone cream, neosporin, taken a benadryl, a bath in epsom salt all within the last three days and nothing was making the itch go away. I decided to give the nail polish a try, worked excellent. The blisters are gone and they don't itch at all after only an hour or so after trying it.

Comment from: teezerisme, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I do not agree that nail polish is not an effective treatment. I have had chigger bites on my legs for 3 weeks now. I did not realize they were chigger bites (I thought they were mosquito or bed bug bites) so I left them alone and cleaned my apartment, bedding, and clothing multiple times with no different results. Each morning I would wake up with another bite. When a friend suggested it might be chigger bites I cover all off my spots with nail polish. The next morning I have 10 new red bumps (where the chiggers all shifted to). I covered those and the surrounding tissue in nail polish. The itching stopped that day and I have had no more bites. Nail polish works!

Comment from: btoussa, 45-54 Female Published: July 27

My feet had many chigger bites, and I soaked them in Epsom salts. The Epsom salts help to remove the toxins and speed the healing. Tea tree oil also is a great natural remedy to help itching and swelling. Benadryl and ibuprofen help reduce the inflammation. I had a really tough attack. Now, it's almost two weeks later and they are still healing.

Comment from: hillbilly, 35-44 Male Published: August 23

When I was a kid roaming the wilds of Southeastern Oklahoma with my hound dog, we would both bath in a tub of water with Pine Sol mixed in. It always cured both of us. In hind sight, I am not sure if we just washed before they bit us or what. However, the Pine Sol bath was also an effective flea dip for the hounds. (kids too!! ha ha)

Comment from: HUNTER, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

Apply ice as soon as possible, and continue first thing in morning and before bed. Immediately stops the itching and reduces the swelling to almost nothing. The 5% steroid creams (cortisone) have helped in between. I have been bitten many times thru the years; and none of the other numerous remedies has done anything.

Published: August 16

Ok i think I have seen and heard it all the most effective thing I have found to relieve the itch is oral gel yes you heard me right it also works great on mosquito bites and to keep you cat from scratching your favorite chair.hey don't knock it till you try it!

Comment from: Kiki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Tea Tree Oil. I'm fighting them now it seems to work well.

Comment from: nascar7139, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Just had my first encounter with chiggers. Found local remedy for itching worked just as well as anything else I have read, Benadryl was good. Wondering how long they last? It has been almost 2 weeks since my exposure and some them still itch and some are still red. I am thinking I may have had an allergic reaction to the bites, but not sure since never experienced them before. Will be seeing my doctor on another matter in a few days and will see what she has to say. Thought they would be gone by now.

Comment from: JoCo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

Just tried the vicks vapo rub on my chiggers and it seems to be quieting the itch. I don't get mosquito bites, (they bite me but I don't get the itchy bumps from them-lucky me!!) but if they itch anything as insanely as chiggers, I feel sorry for the people who have to deal with them AND chiggers too!! The itch is maddening!!!

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.