Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Dick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

Years ago we went and camped in an area in small cabins and got chiggers and the older lady we knew told us to mix ammonia and alcohol or bleach and rub with it wherever the bites were and it worked well! I took a bottle and mixed ammonia and alcohol and it did a good job! So whenever I have an itch the ammonia and alcohol mix is what I use!

Comment from: Jackie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 20

I used Clorox for chigger bites; take a cotton ball, dip a little Clorox and apply to the area. Very effective!

Comment from: brad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I have tried just about everything. I usually get them once a year from working outside and in the woods. The best way that I have found is a two part step. First step is to take a hot bath with rubbing alcohol {just a cap full}. Next, after bath is over and you are dried off, then apply clear finger nail polish to the bitten areas. You will need to repeat the steps for about two to three days.

Comment from: Mack1, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

My father told me this remedy for chigger bites when I was a child, and it works every time (I'm 72 now). Fill a bath tub with about an inch of warm water and using a rough dish washing pad or a wash cloth, rub table salt into the affected areas as hard as you can stand it. Dry yourself off gently and let the salt dry on the affected area. I am not sure if it is the salt or the Iodine in the salt (or both) that makes it work so well. I used non-iodized salt two days ago on some bites and it did not work as well. It may be due to just more chigger bites as I have been doing a lot of yard and garden work all week.

Comment from: Kende, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 18

I am very allergic to chigger bites. My remedy is to cover bite with clear fingernail polish, let it dry and then cover bite with a 50/50 mixture of lavender and tea tree essential oils. The oils stop the itching and begin to heal the bite. The oil mixture is fantastic for mosquito bites.

Comment from: florida gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I swear by an Over The Counter medicine called Chigarid. It's like nail polish, with medicated stuff to prevent infection. I just got dozens of bites on an 11.5 mile hike in the woods, they got through my shoes and socks despite the DEET. Calamine lotion and cortisone cream didn't work for me, but Chigarid gave me instant relief. You have to reapply it a few times a day.

Comment from: silver fox, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have chigger bites around my ankles, behind knees and groin. I use a product called Chiggerex 2x power with 10% benzocaine. This really calms down the itching, at least for me. It still takes a couple of weeks before the itching goes away.

Comment from: Salvaje, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I spent 20 years in the military, and 85% of that time was Central and South America. The army gave us little green bottles that said 'itch relief' and a list of ingredients. It is available over-the-counter, it's called Chigg Away, it uses benzocaine and sulfur as the active ingredients. I swear by this stuff. It repels chiggers too. So before I go out to the yard, I slather up a good amount on my feet and ankles.

Comment from: Angie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Baking soda baths help neutralize the sting of the chigger bites. I took 4 tablespoons of baking soda and 4 tablespoons cornstarch and whisked it into coconut oil (in its liquid state - warm), then put it in fridge a while to turn solid. Rub that on bites and it works! Great relief. I later added a drop of tea tree oil -- even better! Use powdered sulfur from a garden center dusted on your shoes and socks to prevent them.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.