Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Janice, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

I and a friend had been out walking around my new yard. I had bites that I thought were dear flies. My friend had many bites that we thought were fleas because I had treated my cats. By day two we figured out it was chiggers. The itching is unbearable. The new neosporin that works on eczema works for the itch. also if you can resist the urge to scratch it seems to help.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female Published: October 18

My doctor prescribed a high potent Cortizone cream halobetasol 0.05% cream. Cleared up the itching right away. I should have visited him immediately instead of trying different remedies I was seeing on the internet.

Comment from: Reetie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I never had chigger bites in my life! I didn't even know these were chigger bites until yesterday when a friend told me they were not mosquito bites. He suggested the nail polish trick but I have sensitive skin. He said you basically need to "suffocate" the bites. I once heard Scotch magic tape stops the itch, so last night I went to bed looking like an office supply store, but I did not itch all night! I also got some relief from Biofreeze, available from chiropractors or hospital physical therapy units. Thanks to everyone who submitted their relief stories! When you're that intensely itchy, you'll try anything!

Comment from: Jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

For my chigger bites I used Betamethasone Dipropionate ointment USP (augmented) .05%. It stops the itching, redness, and swelling. A prescription is required from a medical professional.

Comment from: DR. Frank, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

The most effective, immediate remedy for the itching of a chigger bite is Vicks Vapor Rub. Just rub it onto the bite area, and they are gone!

Comment from: Vicki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have a terrible case of chiggers and my husband is suffering also. In desperation one night, he scratched his bites and then applied Listerine! I thought it was a little crazy, but last night I was suffering and did the same thing and I felt quick relief! I showered this morning and reapplied before going to work. It has been 3 hours now and still no itching. Hoping it will last all day! I don't know if it's killing the little buggers, though I'm sure they have fresh breath!

Comment from: bliss, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

The best product I have found for the relief of chigger bites is Chiggerex Plus! It's an OTC medicated ointment containing 5% benzocaine, aloe, chamomile, and several natural oils.

Published: September 25

After taking a walk with a friend in the Southeastern Virginia woods, I woke up in the middle of the night itching terribly. I am covered with chigger bites. It's been 6 days now. Benadryl helps and also hot showers and something I picked up from the pharmacy, an OTC solution called "Chigarid". That helps. If I've been scratching too much the Chigarid will burn but it does give relief. I have close to two hundred bites, mostly on my thighs, ankles and crotch areas. I have a few bites in the armpit area. A friend gave my a Chinese herbal that's used to treat poison ivy and it has been helpful. It is called "Hua She Jie Yang Wan". My friend did not get bit; and he was wearing shorts!

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

After reading a few remedies regarding vinegar, I remembered another Caribbean trick for alleviating jelly fish stings. It sounds a little crazy, but I basically coated my feet - the affected area - in Windex, and the itching almost immediately stopped. Instead of wiping it off, I put on slipper socks to heat them up. Next time, I'll remember the bug spray.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.