Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Renee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

The only thing I have found that relieves the itching of chigger bites is plain meat tenderizer mixed with a small amount of water to make a paste. Rub it on, it will burn a little at first but will totally remove the itch.

Comment from: Penny G, (Patient) Published: September 04

I have been dealing with chiggers for 11 days now and have tried every suggestion I have read. My 2.5 years old grandson is covered in bites. It seems that Vicks VapoRub helped us quite a bit. After I left my grandsons home I decided to shower with lye soap I got from my Amish friends. For 11 hours I did not itch! I texted my daughter and she bathed him in it also. She said it helped a lot. This is the most relief I have gotten in 11 days. I'm sure if you don't know any Amish you can get it at a health food store or on line. Hope this helps those of you struggling for relief!

Comment from: ShowMetheCountry, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Just a dab of dish soap on a fresh chigger bite. It will relieve the itching almost instantly and will smother the chigger.

Comment from: Jacks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I live in the Caribbean and I squeeze the chiggers and then apply bay rum and petroleum jelly. It works fabulously. Also the petroleum jelly can be used to protect against bites. Apply in the groin and bra area.

Comment from: bob, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My dad always treated my chigger bites with grease and salt. Dip finger in grease (food grease, not car grease!) then dip in salt and rub it in. Just got a bunch of chiggers and tried it. The ones I rubbed with salt have not itched again.

Comment from: Asprin Relief, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I did not realize what I had until looked up the photos online and saw what chigger bites grow into. A quick search suggested crumbling an aspirin and making a paste with water. I applied this aspirin concoction to the itchy mini boils the chiggers were creating on my skin, and found relief. I may try to tape over the drying powder and hold it in place while I sleep.

Comment from: Scooter, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

I'm currently using extra strength Benadryl spray which seems to take the itch of chigger bite away. It feels like a spray glue, kind of sticky and my shirt sticks to it, but it is inexpensive and easy to apply by yourself. I also use my invisible solid antiperspirant. Mine is Secret. It takes the itch out right away and lasts all night. This seems to actually work better than the spray but I use both, alternately.

Comment from: luke, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I have been attacked by these critters many times. Since the bite is essentially a very small acid burn, I find that a mixture of tea tree oil and baking soda, rubbed into the bite will provide long term relief.

Comment from: Tessa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have very fair skin and when I got chigger bites I went to my family doctor and she wrote me out a prescription. I went to the pharmacist and he was out of that particular treatment. He said go buy a cheap bottle of clear fingernail polish and paint over each bite and boom they were all gone in 2 days and so was the itching.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.