Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: littledaisy, Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was bitten all over by chiggers. I tried everything, including corticosteroid and Benadryl creams, calamine, etc. I still itched horribly. Then I tried pure tea tree oil. It worked! Itching is down 95% and bites are clearing up. It's miraculous. Do try it!

Comment from: tim, Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have tried everything and tonight I soaked my ankles in Epsom salt water and all the pain and itching was gone!

Comment from: w8n2fish, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I live in the mountains of Northeast Tennessee and not so pleasantly been introduced to chigger bites. Did not have this problem in the northeast. A friend turned me onto Jewelweed. It grows wild around moist areas and near poison ivy. At first poison ivy is what I used it for. It works unbelievable, stops the itch immediately and cures it faster than getting shots. Well, I figured I would try it on chigger bites and it has the same result. I have found the fastest method of ridding of chigger bites and the itch from them is to pinch the chigger bite and you will get a little red spot in the middle and clear fluid; then rub on jewelweed extract. I find Jewelweed plants easily in roadsides or near brooks or creeks where it's moist. Take the plant and cut it up into 2 to 3 inch sections, squeeze the fluid out (I use a vise) and collect it in a jar or pill bottle and keep it in the fridge. Believe me no better cure for chigger bites or poison ivy and zero cost.

Comment from: Renee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

The only thing I have found that relieves the itching of chigger bites is plain meat tenderizer mixed with a small amount of water to make a paste. Rub it on, it will burn a little at first but will totally remove the itch.

Comment from: Penny G, (Patient) Published: September 04

I have been dealing with chiggers for 11 days now and have tried every suggestion I have read. My 2.5 years old grandson is covered in bites. It seems that Vicks VapoRub helped us quite a bit. After I left my grandsons home I decided to shower with lye soap I got from my Amish friends. For 11 hours I did not itch! I texted my daughter and she bathed him in it also. She said it helped a lot. This is the most relief I have gotten in 11 days. I'm sure if you don't know any Amish you can get it at a health food store or on line. Hope this helps those of you struggling for relief!

Comment from: ShowMetheCountry, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Just a dab of dish soap on a fresh chigger bite. It will relieve the itching almost instantly and will smother the chigger.

Comment from: Jacks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I live in the Caribbean and I squeeze the chiggers and then apply bay rum and petroleum jelly. It works fabulously. Also the petroleum jelly can be used to protect against bites. Apply in the groin and bra area.

Comment from: bob, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My dad always treated my chigger bites with grease and salt. Dip finger in grease (food grease, not car grease!) then dip in salt and rub it in. Just got a bunch of chiggers and tried it. The ones I rubbed with salt have not itched again.

Comment from: Asprin Relief, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I did not realize what I had until looked up the photos online and saw what chigger bites grow into. A quick search suggested crumbling an aspirin and making a paste with water. I applied this aspirin concoction to the itchy mini boils the chiggers were creating on my skin, and found relief. I may try to tape over the drying powder and hold it in place while I sleep.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.