Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Karl, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 24

When I was a child (40's-50's) my parents would dust our ankles with a slight bit of sulphur powder to avoid chiggers. We never had bites. Recently my family went camping near Richmond and got lots of bites and continued to get them at home. Upon return I dusted my legs and further bites ceased.

Published: August 06

I get attacked by chiggers at least once a year no matter how careful I am! This week, I got nearly 100 chigger bites, but I survived because I've discovered lye soap. Lye soap (despite what you may think) is so gentle it will not dry or burn your skin. I wet the bar, make a paste on my hands, and rub it on like lotion. I let it dry and it deadens the itch for three to six hours.

Comment from: ghcowboy, 65-74 Male Published: August 28

I had a bad case of chigger bites from mowing the pasture in shorts. Best thing I have found is called Zilactin B from the pharmacy. It costs about eight bucks but stops the itching dead in its tracks. It hardens once applied and you reapply twice a day for about three days.

Comment from: JenBon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have over 1,500 bites from the middle of my legs down on my feet. It has been miserable and caused me to run high fever, because of the inflammation that was caused. I have been bathing twice a day in Aveeno Oatmel Bath. I also have rubbed my legs down with green alcohol (to dry them out) and then put cortisone cream on my legs at least three times a day. I'm on day 4 and they have shrunk more than 50%.

Comment from: Phil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

First, take a warm shower ensuring the affected chigger area is thoroughly scrubbed. Second, after drying gently prick the 'bite' with a sterile needle. Third, put a single drop of iodine on it. After the burning stops, the itch should be gone.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.