Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

A pharmacist told me that using "After Bite" will neutralize the toxin of most insect bites and I've found that to be true. It is 3% ammonia, I believe. In just a few minutes, all itching is gone and I never think about the bites again. I carry it with me all the time. Works on mosquito bites also.

Comment from: Cajun Girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

It is said that bleach doesn't help. I found adding a small amount of bleach to bath water does help. I follow with either hydrocortisone or Benadryl cream. This seems to shorten the time that the bite itches.

Comment from: b.kohl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I picked up 9 chiggers in Virginia this summer, and two of the bites are still somewhat irritating this is seven weeks now. I'm angry about this. I have been good about not scratching, but they just won't go away. I will soon will dig a hole in my ankle and use antibiotic cream.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

We have always used nail polish and have relief from chiggers.

Comment from: conniecoolest, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

My family learned about using meat tenderizer. It breaks down the tube faster and alleviates the pain and itching.

Comment from: Red Smith, 75 or over Female Published: August 06

I had a half dozen chiggers very recently; I was more quickly relieved/they seemed to clear up in less than a week. I applied Benadryl cream because it was handy, and I have tried other methods over the years, and this was easy. The first time I experienced chiggers was at before age 10, and I've had them occasionally over 70 years.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 24

Fingernail polish directly on the bite, when it first appears, stops the itching within 2 minutes. It may take 2-3 applications of polish depending on how vigorously you bathe. The bite disappears in a couple of days.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have found Absorbine JR. to help with the itching of chigger bites, it seems to shorten the length of time that itching is present also. Careful where you apply it of course as it dose burn some. The sponge applicator is handy too.

Comment from: hillcountrycache, 55-64 Female Published: June 29

I never get more than a few chigger bites at a time and nail polish has always worked for me within a matter of a minute or two. Of course, it would not be practical for dozens of bites, but for only a few it is ideal. It only needs to be applied once the itching is over.

Published: June 19

For chigger bites, nail polish works great every time for me. I was happy to learn about the Chigarid too. Hot showers are the worst, once the bites are established. It just heats up the process and intensifies itching.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.