Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My first and worst case of chigger bites was over a hundred of them on my upper thigh area. I tried tape, nail polish, baking soda and more, but the only thing that helped was Chigarid!

Comment from: Scott, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I never had these before. They got to be real itchy. I found a great remedy. I took a hot shower and used seacret salt and oil salt scrub. I also put on hand sanitizer with aloe, and the itching stopped immediately and lasted all day. I reapplied at bed time, great remedy.

Comment from: J.M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

When I was a child, my siblings and I used to get chigger bites from playing in our yard (we lived near a wooded area). Our grandmother used to save bacon-grease and occasionally gave mom a jar. Mom would put a dab of bacon-grease on the spot and within an hour or so the itch was gone and the inflammation was disappearing.

Comment from: JadedX, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Currently using witch hazel, chilled in the fridge, on my chigger bites. I have had no pain or itching at all. I got a 6oz bottle at a local dollar store.

Comment from: weedsaltillo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

When as a child, we would go black berry picking. You would always get covered with chiggers if you did not soak in a salt bath that same day after your walk with nature. This is for those who know that chiggers will be on you. Just let the day go by without the table salt bath in cool water and you're covered with chiggers. On the other hand my pharmacist told me he used a solution of Pinesol in cool water and soaked for 10 to 20 minutes. His childhood experience was the sprinkling of sulfur dust on all lower clothing and lower body. This was mentioned above. I tried the Pinesol and it appears to have killed the majority. You'll have to estimate the amount of Pinesol, but I used about a cup to 10 to 15 gallons of water in the tub and soak 10 minutes. Unsure how it would affect my skin, I then showered in warm water. It was effective in killing most all areas. I also believe the nail polish works for the few bites.

Comment from: Texas Gal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I'm in real estate and two days after showing some acreage my legs and other unmentionable areas erupted in chigger bites not good. After many years camping and hiking in chigger infested areas and trying every remedy known to mankind, Sulfa powder, nail polish, glue, soaking in a hot tub, etc., I decided to try a mixture. I mixed Aveeno bug bite lotion, Benadryl bug bite lotion, a teaspoon of bleach, and several teaspoons of baking soda. The concoction was lumpy and smelled fairly toxic. My teenager convinced me to throw it away and start over. This time I mixed the Aveeno lotion with the Benadryl lotion, baking soda, and Vicks VapoRub. Amazingly this produced a decent paste. I put it on the chigger bites and put on my tightest fitting yoga pants to limit air circulation. I'm not itchy, I think I discovered something!

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: May 03

I have tried everything for treating chigger bites, but the only thing I find that works is painting each chigger bite with NewSkin Liquid Bandage.

Comment from: jnbw, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 09

We used aloe gel to stop the itching. It really worked.

Comment from: scooby, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a chigger magnet and have gotten bites every August for years. Nail polish is good, and you can get it at the dollar store, but "chigger rid" works faster and has additives to soothe the itch.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.