Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: Fishman0306, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

Take 1 25 mg of Benadryl every 4 to 6 hours. This has helped me a lot to cope with pain for itching so much.

Comment from: Gardenlady49, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

Nail polish worked when I was a kid, but this time it has not helped for my chigger bites. I am covered in all my cracks and crevices. I had sprayed Repel 100 with 93% Deet, so I really think I would get them. I am miserable and have been in my PJs all day.

Published: June 02

I have used Chigarid in the past, but have found Vaseline just as effective and much gentler on certain sensitive locations. Works best if applied as soon as a bite is discovered (when itching starts). After 24 hours OTC treatments for itch are effective.

Comment from: AW-NJ, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

My Husband is a hunter and chiggers are always a problem I tried everything and the one thing that did work within a few days is Camphor Nic not sure if spelling is correct but it comes in a green bottle Mom always used it for cold sores. It does work and fast especially for the itching too.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

Nail polish did not work for me. I ended up scratching right through it several times because I was so itchy. A combination of cleansing the area thoroughly, using several applications of anti-itch gel and taking Benadryl over a few days worked for me.

Comment from: CHUCKLEDYTE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I used some liquid bandage on the chigger bites and it worked immediately. It is very similar to nail polish, it is liquid and coats the bites with clear plastic when it drys.

Comment from: Lucky Ladonna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I got a VERY bad case of chiggers about 15 years old. I was cutting up a field and decided to take a break. No thinking about insects,etc., I leaned against a very old pine tree. The next day a used about 4 bottles of clear polish!! Good thing I am in pharmacy but I really got some funny looks when I was helping customers and couldn't stand still.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

I put some coconut oil mixed with either teatree oil or oil of oregano into a small container. It works great to stop the itching for hours and makes the swelling go down. Its also very good as a mosquito repellent also and its not toxic. Coconut oil not only is antifungal and antibacterial but your skin will be softer than ever.

Comment from: cuff, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

The itch was unbearable. Cortisone OTC cream made it worse. Antibacterial cream made it worse. After trying all treatments I could think of, I remembered that bacteria cannot live in apple cider vinegar. The vinegar stung terribly on application but was preferable to the itch, which disappeared immediately. The red spots became tiny 'roadmap' lines. I don't know for certain but assume the chiggers were moving. As with any experiment, I tried it on part of the chiggers area. The itch disappeared only on treated area. Then I applied the apple cider vinegar to the rest of the chiggers. After the itch was gone, I applied OTC 0.25% cortisone cream to finish the job. Thanks everyone for your input.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.