Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: bellaco98, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

Chiggers were especially bad this year. My remedy for relief of bites when they occur is to scrub them with Dawn dish soap using the scratchy side of a kitchen sponge. This gives about 10 hours of relief from itching, so twice a day for a couple of days does the trick for me.

Comment from: asiebels, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

Benadryl no, Chiggarid no, clear nail polish no. I ended up getting Prednisone from my doctor. I got my chiggers from my garden and they have been hanging around for a week, a few have been there for about four weeks.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 06

I put benadryl and other calamine type lotions on my daughters legs and benadryl was the best of those options, but I finally put the cold aloe gel you keep in the fridge on her legs and she was asleep within 10 minutes. The others had her up all through the night digging and in agony.

Comment from: DB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I had real problems sleeping last night, the itching was so bad. After reading the posts I took a hot bath in our garden tube with epsom salt mixed in. Then, because epsom salt tends to dry the skin, I took a hot shower using a good body wash with skin moisturizer. After that I used a spray lotion I purchased from CVS. Just awoke from a really nice nap and although I don't know how long the relief will last, I feel great at this moment. These little bugs are bad news!

Comment from: It's a dry heat, 35-44 Male Published: August 27

I went hiking in the mountains and got chiggers bad. I searched all over and itched all over with no relief. I thought it may be a larve, so I headed to store and bought some Rid-X and it worked great. Now even if I mow the grass, I go take a shower and use the Rid-X if I have one itch.

Comment from: Margie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had always heard to put clear nail polish on the bitten area, but it didn't work for me. Then I read that the chiggers don't burrow in the skin as I had heard, so don't they don't need to be smothered. I am currently suffering from chiggers and have found that soaking in a tub of warm water with baking soda and salt helps. I even rubbed sea salt directly into the affected areas and so far it's working.

Comment from: Bruno, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

Heat, Heat, and more Heat. Take a scalding hot shower twice a day. That is the secret to happiness.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: August 15

My first and worst case of chigger bites was over a hundred of them on my upper thigh area. I tried tape, nail polish, baking soda and more, but the only thing that helped was Chigarid!

Comment from: Scott, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I never had these before. They got to be real itchy. I found a great remedy. I took a hot shower and used seacret salt and oil salt scrub. I also put on hand sanitizer with aloe, and the itching stopped immediately and lasted all day. I reapplied at bed time, great remedy.

Comment from: J.M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

When I was a child, my siblings and I used to get chigger bites from playing in our yard (we lived near a wooded area). Our grandmother used to save bacon-grease and occasionally gave mom a jar. Mom would put a dab of bacon-grease on the spot and within an hour or so the itch was gone and the inflammation was disappearing.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.