Patient Comments: Chiggers - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?

Comment from: genesisjenna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Obviously, the best thing to do is spray with a good insect repellant before going into the woods, this definitely works. You know, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I have tried everything from fingernail polish, bleach, alcohol, and kerosene with very little relief. Then one day I was in such misery that I tried anything I could find. I used Ivarest that day and discovered that Ivarest (for relief of poison ivy) gave relief for quite a few hours, and the chiggers didn't last as many days as usual. I live in the wilderness where there is an abundance of chiggers and seed ticks.

Comment from: Rebecca, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

After possible exposure (nature hike in GA) I scrubbed firmly with a washrag using pure beef tallow soap. This soap really sucks dirt out of pores, and helped keep the bites small and tolerable. I treated the bigger bites from the day before by wetting the soap and rubbing it on the effective area. It took the itch out for a few hours, then I retreated. We washed all hair, affected clothes, bedding and pets, too. Good luck. Thanks for information on this site!

Comment from: bellaco98, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

Chiggers were especially bad this year. My remedy for relief of bites when they occur is to scrub them with Dawn dish soap using the scratchy side of a kitchen sponge. This gives about 10 hours of relief from itching, so twice a day for a couple of days does the trick for me.

Comment from: asiebels, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

Benadryl no, Chiggarid no, clear nail polish no. I ended up getting Prednisone from my doctor. I got my chiggers from my garden and they have been hanging around for a week, a few have been there for about four weeks.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 06

I put benadryl and other calamine type lotions on my daughters legs and benadryl was the best of those options, but I finally put the cold aloe gel you keep in the fridge on her legs and she was asleep within 10 minutes. The others had her up all through the night digging and in agony.

Comment from: DB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I had real problems sleeping last night, the itching was so bad. After reading the posts I took a hot bath in our garden tube with epsom salt mixed in. Then, because epsom salt tends to dry the skin, I took a hot shower using a good body wash with skin moisturizer. After that I used a spray lotion I purchased from CVS. Just awoke from a really nice nap and although I don't know how long the relief will last, I feel great at this moment. These little bugs are bad news!

Comment from: It's a dry heat, 35-44 Male Published: August 27

I went hiking in the mountains and got chiggers bad. I searched all over and itched all over with no relief. I thought it may be a larve, so I headed to store and bought some Rid-X and it worked great. Now even if I mow the grass, I go take a shower and use the Rid-X if I have one itch.

Comment from: Margie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had always heard to put clear nail polish on the bitten area, but it didn't work for me. Then I read that the chiggers don't burrow in the skin as I had heard, so don't they don't need to be smothered. I am currently suffering from chiggers and have found that soaking in a tub of warm water with baking soda and salt helps. I even rubbed sea salt directly into the affected areas and so far it's working.

Comment from: Bruno, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

Heat, Heat, and more Heat. Take a scalding hot shower twice a day. That is the secret to happiness.

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.