Patient Comments: Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

Comment from: LT3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have tiny bites on my feet. I went shopping at a questionable store. I should not have removed my shoes! The discount was not worth the price I am paying now! The chigger bites are starting to spread. The itching is intense. Since I am a 'picker', I cannot leave them alone. Must go to the drugstore and get relief! I have heard Iodine works for these bites. Will try anything.

Comment from: kjkrunner, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I had intense itching like nothing I've ever experienced. It was 35 days ago that I got the chigger bites and I still have noticeable red welts on my leg that itch occasionally. I am not sure where I got them, but the itching started a day after I was fishing at a lake, so that must have been it. I can't believe how long it is taking them to clear up.

Comment from: suef, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was recently bitten by about 50 chiggers when I was knocked over onto the ground by my dog. I was not able to get up due to a broken arm when that happened. I was trapped on the ground for about 2 hours before my neighbors heard my cries for help. The chigger bites itched like crazy. It is now 5 months and I still have chigger bite scars on my legs and arms. Also some of them still itch like crazy, especially at night. I have found alcohol the best for relieving itch after it is open. I don't wish this on anyone.

Comment from: Garett, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I got chiggers on my right ankle while pushing my way through a thicket to clear it for deer season. This was about 2 months ago maybe a little longer. At first they were just on my right ankle then on my left ankle and after that I had them everywhere but the unmentionables. They itched like fire, I tried everything but nothing worked. Eventually they all went away but not from my right ankle. The initial swelled up bites went down but left little scars but now every couple days, sometimes every couple hours, the first infected spot still itches so much it's like having them over again every time. Nothing makes this go away at all. Every time I scratch them they raise back up and leave more scars; how do you make these go away!

Comment from: CD, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I did some work in my yard on Saturday. It was Monday while I was at work that I started itching a lot and all over. Tuesday I woke up itching and with bumps so at first I assumed I had poison ivy (which I have had several times in my life). But by Wednesday spots were still popping up and was extremely itchy. The calamine and hydrocortisone was only slight relief. By Thursday it still had not started drying up and got worse. So today, (Friday) still thinking poison ivy I went to the doctor who immediately told me it was not poison Ivy and sent me straight to the dermatologist who confirmed chiggers. He prescribed me prednisone (a steroid). He said that over the counter hydrocortisone cream is for things like ant and mosquito bites and is not sufficient for chiggers or even any of the poison leaves such as Ivy, oak, or sumac, and calamine lotion is a drying medication that is pretty much just for oozing blister such as poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac that you just want to dry up and not let the oozing spread. All that being said, from now on I will skip the lotions and crèmes and the doctor and go straight to the dermatologist.

Comment from: vicky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

My chigger bites itch so much.

Comment from: KT, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I had no clue why I was itching unbearably, I couldn't sleep! I had welts all over my body, mostly concentrated on my feet, legs and groin area, with a few on my arms and armpits. Some became pus filled and crusty. Nasty enough for me to check in to the local dermatologist, who prescribed clobetasol and an antihistamine to help me sleep. An hour after applying clobetasol, I don't really feel like it's helped much, but it's not worse, perhaps a little better. Prior to the medicine, I was using over the counter cortisone cream which worked ok, as well as aloe gel, which worked pretty well (maybe because it had alcohol in it). I'm glad it's just chiggers, but yow, this itching is horrible!

Chiggers - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.