Patient Comments: Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

Comment from: Chuck, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

The extreme itch and the boils and pus filled bites were so insanely annoying and painful. The cream Chiggerex is what I used for the most part, Benadryl was also helpful. I flushed out my infected parts with cold ice water at least twice a day. I don't know if that helped it at all but it numbed the pain and relieved the itch for a short amount of time.

Comment from: Nadine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

When doing some backpacking in the Alps, I had a severe case of chigger bites. Being from the west of the US, I had no idea what I was dealing with. I suffered tremendous itching the last 4 days of my trip. When I got to Chamonix in France, the doctor took a look at me and told me I had a bad case of "aoutas" or chiggers in English. In France they treat it with a liquid called "Ascabiol". It is for scabies, but works very wells for chiggers.

Comment from: Anita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have never experienced these types of bites before. It has been 37 days to the day of the first bite and I am still itching from them and with continued scratching they leave a purple scar.

Comment from: ALI, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have quite a reaction to chigger bites. The area is very large, red, swollen and hot with a white pustule type area in the middle and of course the most intense itch. Last time I had cotton balls soaked in vinegar taped to each area and it provided enough relief to allow me to sleep. This time around I am also trying Aveeno with Hydrocortisone and I'm just on day 2 but seems to be giving some relief. I also have a Benadryl salve to try.

Comment from: LiSA, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My daughter went on a float trip and found chigger bites on her feet, but did not scratch them. She went to the shower and poured hydrogen peroxide on her feet. Then black tiny bugs appeared, as they were dead. Symptoms included itching as well as serous drainage in a couple of the wounds. She tried Benadryl cream that stopped the itching for an hour. She then scratched them again and opened the wounds, applied Campho-Phenique, which burned, but she has been itch free for several days and the spots are pinpoint.

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 01

Have sympathy for all these people, because I have never felt such intense itching in my life. I should've scratched my skin off by now. After over a month, I am still using Benadryl cream which works pretty good, but have used Absorbine Jr. also off and on, which also takes the itching away immediately and feels nice an cool. Will try the Vicks VapoRub thing! Next time I clean up my garden, I'll do it with long sleeves and pants!

Comment from: Ginny, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My friend and I went on a walk in the woods. The next day she called. She had bites all the way from her waist down. Luckily I just had intense itching on my legs ankles, and feet. She had already gone the nail polish, and bleach route. The article was right it did not help. We are both now trying the Benadryl route. If it doesn't help at least we will sleep.

Comment from: KristyM123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I came into contact with chiggers a few days ago cutting through some woods when out walking the dog. Several spots on my ankle were itching like absolute mad. I was not able to sleep, going crazy.

Chiggers - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.