Patient Comments: Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

Comment from: JG0121, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

One evening I had a long sleeve shirt on and it kept itching in my forearm. It felt like a plastic tag would feel if it were still in the shirt. It irritated me so much I changed my shirt. But I also noticed when the shirt rolled over the skin it tingled. The next morning I woke to a single jolt in my forearm. My shoulder blade started having tingly skin with random nerve jolts. For 2 or 3 days I didn't say a thing but I had a good idea what was going on. My shoulder is now a 4 inch patch and I have 3 small patches down my arm. I had to remove my wedding ring because my finger has a spot too. I have not suffered any other symptoms except a headache the night before all this started. I am not in any pain yet. Skin feels very different along the nerve path of the lesions but so far so good. I was put on acyclovir 5 times/day for 10 days. I was absolutely not surprised I got shingles. I have asked my primary care doctor about the shot for years now. He's awesome but he would chuckle and say I am too young for the shot and ask me what makes me think I will get shingles. I have suffered with cold sores on my left lip since I was 4. I'm good for 3 plus nasty ones a year. These shingles are also on my left side. Coincidence! I don't know what path these will take, 10 to 14 days of pain and then gone, or months of agony; but I wish anyone who gets them wellness. Take care of yourself and know your body. If something doesn't feel right and you can't explain why see the doctor fast.

Comment from: rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I broke my index finger 2 months ago at work. I was thinking it was only a bruise but it never would heal and was always sensitive to touch. I was thinking I was hitting it and reinjuring it. I finally went to the doctor and it was a minor fracture in the farthest bone in my index finger. I am in a small aluminum cast to protect it and will see him again in three weeks. Hopefully it will not be irritated and will heal.

Comment from: LT3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have tiny bites on my feet. I went shopping at a questionable store. I should not have removed my shoes! The discount was not worth the price I am paying now! The chigger bites are starting to spread. The itching is intense. Since I am a 'picker', I cannot leave them alone. Must go to the drugstore and get relief! I have heard Iodine works for these bites. Will try anything.

Comment from: kjkrunner, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I had intense itching like nothing I've ever experienced. It was 35 days ago that I got the chigger bites and I still have noticeable red welts on my leg that itch occasionally. I am not sure where I got them, but the itching started a day after I was fishing at a lake, so that must have been it. I can't believe how long it is taking them to clear up.

Comment from: suef, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was recently bitten by about 50 chiggers when I was knocked over onto the ground by my dog. I was not able to get up due to a broken arm when that happened. I was trapped on the ground for about 2 hours before my neighbors heard my cries for help. The chigger bites itched like crazy. It is now 5 months and I still have chigger bite scars on my legs and arms. Also some of them still itch like crazy, especially at night. I have found alcohol the best for relieving itch after it is open. I don't wish this on anyone.

Comment from: Loweern, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I have been tortured by these little monsters. I finally found something that works for chiggers; Chiggerex. Amazing. The minute you dab it on the itch goes away and the hard boil like lesion heals much quicker.

Comment from: sweet pea, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have a lot of Spanish moss in my yard and constantly have chigger bites and scars. I found the best way to help with itch is to scratch the top off the welt and squeeze the clear liquid out. I may have to do it a couple times but it works for me.

Chiggers - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.