Patient Comments: Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

Comment from: rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I broke my index finger 2 months ago at work. I was thinking it was only a bruise but it never would heal and was always sensitive to touch. I was thinking I was hitting it and reinjuring it. I finally went to the doctor and it was a minor fracture in the farthest bone in my index finger. I am in a small aluminum cast to protect it and will see him again in three weeks. Hopefully it will not be irritated and will heal.

Comment from: LT3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have tiny bites on my feet. I went shopping at a questionable store. I should not have removed my shoes! The discount was not worth the price I am paying now! The chigger bites are starting to spread. The itching is intense. Since I am a 'picker', I cannot leave them alone. Must go to the drugstore and get relief! I have heard Iodine works for these bites. Will try anything.

Comment from: kjkrunner, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I had intense itching like nothing I've ever experienced. It was 35 days ago that I got the chigger bites and I still have noticeable red welts on my leg that itch occasionally. I am not sure where I got them, but the itching started a day after I was fishing at a lake, so that must have been it. I can't believe how long it is taking them to clear up.

Comment from: suef, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was recently bitten by about 50 chiggers when I was knocked over onto the ground by my dog. I was not able to get up due to a broken arm when that happened. I was trapped on the ground for about 2 hours before my neighbors heard my cries for help. The chigger bites itched like crazy. It is now 5 months and I still have chigger bite scars on my legs and arms. Also some of them still itch like crazy, especially at night. I have found alcohol the best for relieving itch after it is open. I don't wish this on anyone.

Comment from: Garett, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I got chiggers on my right ankle while pushing my way through a thicket to clear it for deer season. This was about 2 months ago maybe a little longer. At first they were just on my right ankle then on my left ankle and after that I had them everywhere but the unmentionables. They itched like fire, I tried everything but nothing worked. Eventually they all went away but not from my right ankle. The initial swelled up bites went down but left little scars but now every couple days, sometimes every couple hours, the first infected spot still itches so much it's like having them over again every time. Nothing makes this go away at all. Every time I scratch them they raise back up and leave more scars; how do you make these go away!

Comment from: sweet pea, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have a lot of Spanish moss in my yard and constantly have chigger bites and scars. I found the best way to help with itch is to scratch the top off the welt and squeeze the clear liquid out. I may have to do it a couple times but it works for me.

Comment from: Deborah, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have had chigger bites for the past 2 years. This is from working around the lawn, pulling weeds etc. I am currently having the best itch treatment with Aveeno.

Comment from: dustin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

To start with I am 19 years old. I started having symptoms of atrial fibrillation even though I did not know what I had at the time. I went to the emergency room (ER) and needless to say, what a night! I started with an EKG that showed I had atrial fibrillation that worried me a little bit. They ran an IV and put some diltiazem in me which regulated my heart beat until the male nurse and I got into an argument. At that point my heart rate went to 150 which is borderline as they put it. Well, I did end up leaving the hospital on 12/18/15 at 2:15 against medical advice. If it starts to get worse I will go back to the hospital. I do plan to follow up with a heart doctor as soon as I can. I will keep posting as this goes on.

Chiggers - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.