Patient Comments: Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

Comment from: betsy , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

After taking a hike through the woods I began excessive scratching, especially in hairy areas like my head, my eyebrows and my bikini cut, where they did my hysterectomy, sometimes so extreme it's embarrassing. I also use Rogaine and Retin A on my head for thinning hair My head sometimes feels like a small snake or worm in crawling through my scalp - Please help me.

Comment from: PFH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

Five of us went for a dip in a stream. The following morning, I had over a dozen tiny, fluid-filled bumps scattered all over each leg. Among the five of us, only I got them. Itching was intense and did not subside at all when left alone for a couple of days, unlike mosquito bites which subside on their own in an hour or so. The number of bites did not seem to increase. If I popped any of them, it would result in dark, red, itchy welt.

Comment from: Butter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I think I have Chigger bites, the worst itch I have ever had. The only thing that helped was to take Benadryl twice a day for the itching. Most of the bites were around my ankles and a few scatter on the rest of my body. This is the third week and it still itches but not like the first week and a half.

Comment from: Lady D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

The chigger bites I got really burned. It was a quick, hot sensation and then itching.

Comment from: Macadoo, 45-54 Male Published: July 27

After swimming in a lake, 2 days later and after several showers, the chigger bites appeared on my feet, and ankles. Little red bumps, itching like crazy.

Comment from: Tenn Gardener, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am very careful to dress protectively when working outside in the garden. However, I have many bites on my thighs.

Chiggers - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.