Patient Comments: Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 01

Have sympathy for all these people, because I have never felt such intense itching in my life. I should've scratched my skin off by now. After over a month, I am still using Benadryl cream which works pretty good, but have used Absorbine Jr. also off and on, which also takes the itching away immediately and feels nice an cool. Will try the Vicks VapoRub thing! Next time I clean up my garden, I'll do it with long sleeves and pants!

Comment from: Ginny, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My friend and I went on a walk in the woods. The next day she called. She had bites all the way from her waist down. Luckily I just had intense itching on my legs ankles, and feet. She had already gone the nail polish, and bleach route. The article was right it did not help. We are both now trying the Benadryl route. If it doesn't help at least we will sleep.

Comment from: vicky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

My chigger bites itch so much.

Comment from: TexasPerry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

For some reason when I get chigger bites they do not itch and I don't know why.

Comment from: usangelicstar, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My boyfriend was injected with enzymes from these chiggers and what we used was tea tree oil to calm down the itching and relieve the pain. We also used Ledum (homeopathic remedy) for bites and stings.

Comment from: KristyM123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I came into contact with chiggers a few days ago cutting through some woods when out walking the dog. Several spots on my ankle were itching like absolute mad. I was not able to sleep, going crazy.

Comment from: Driver8, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I too was baffled about the many bites that I had developed mostly on my legs with a few on my back and arms. I thought I had picked up bed bugs from a stay at a college dorm a week earlier. After searching fruitlessly for telltale signs of bed bugs. I finally checked with my friend that had gone with me to look at some wood in a barn in rural Virginia a few days before and he had the same symptoms.

Comment from: Shnna T, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am in agony right now. Yesterday, my son and I decided to go on nature hike. We live in the north Georgia mountains. Never in my life have I ever had a chigger bite. I doused myself with Off before we left for our journey. When I got home, I started itching like something fierce. When I stripped down, my legs had spot all over them in patches, especially around my hips and the creases of my knees. It looks like mosquito bites. I tried witch hazel and Neosporin with no relief. My legs are clawed up from all of the scratching.

Comment from: Martha, 75 or over Female Published: July 31

I have a fever when I have lots of chigger bites. My doctor had me get nit and lice treatment and put on the bites wait 15 min then shower. I tried hydrogen peroxide and it helped some. I am highly allergic to them.

Chiggers - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.