Patient Comments: Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

Comment from: thundergroundranch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

More than 25 years ago, my child's pediatrician gave us a prescription for Eurax after it was determined that Benadryl and corticosteroids didn't help us much. It usually eliminated the itching in one application; sometimes it took two. We have used it ever since – even though it is sometimes hard to get the prescription filled. I have had many grateful friends buy me lunch after they learned about it from me.

Comment from: StokedLove, 25-34 Female Published: May 20

Because my hubby and I just went through this bug battle (and it is a battle/war – to say the least), that besides bathing, vacuuming, and regularly cleaning your house and/or pets: permethrin. It kills on contact – end of story. Get your nightmare over with, ASAP. If you continue to suffer, you will be the only one to blame for not using this.

Comment from: MAH60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

After a Saturday night camping trip, Sunday morning I woke up with a rash all over my face, arms, back of my hands and lower legs; I thought they were mosquito bites. By Monday morning I was miserable. I went to the doctor and he gave me a steroid shot, a pill to take for five days that kills internal parasites and a prescription strength cortisone creme. The itching is not as intense and the small bumpy rash is slowly healing. It is a long process, but each day is a little better.

Comment from: Anna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

For a week I thought I was the victim of bed bug bites because I had the classic three bites in a row. Then after a day or so, the bites started to crisscross and I had numerous bites on my left leg and right arm. After much investigation, there was absolutely no indication of bed bugs, however, I was camping out at a lakeside cabin for a week in NC, which may have been a wonderful breeding ground for chiggers. After another week, the itching was so intense, even Benadryl didn't do the trick. Big red welts began to develop at the site of the bites. I am now on week three of intense itching (mostly at night) and ugly red welts with no sign of dissipating. I have applied Witch Hazel, Calamine lotion, and antibiotic ointment. I soaked in the Atlantic Ocean for two days and a highly-chlorinated swimming pool for another two days. I found temporary relief from the itching, but like a bad dream, it returns nightly. Starting today, I started having a bad headache and a low grade fever. I am not sure these symptoms are related to the chigger bites, but you never know.

Comment from: Shine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I've used Vet's Best Hot Spot Spray for dogs and on myself. I've recommended it to friends and have found it to be very effective on mosquito bites, as well.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: December 24

I got numerous chigger bites when I travelled in Nicaragua in November. I've been back for 5 weeks now and some of the bites still itch like crazy if I absent-mindedly scratch them.

Comment from: bri628, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My chigger bites really hurt. I mowed the lawn and the next day I couldn't stop itching my ankles. We went and got over the counter chigger cream. I do have to admit it took a few days to get rid of. Make sure that you have shoes and socks and pants on when you are in the grass.

Comment from: CntryHrt4Ever, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

It felt like something kept biting my ankles off and on for three days after I had been in the woods. It itched if I touched the bite area (like slapping at something biting my ankle), but not so bad if I left them alone. By the way, I wore tall boots (well above the ankle) and thick socks that day in order to not get chiggers and ticks, but ended up with chigger bites around my ankle anyway. So the boots and socks theory doesn't work.

Chiggers - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.