Patient Comments: Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

Comment from: usangelicstar, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My boyfriend was injected with enzymes from these chiggers and what we used was tea tree oil to calm down the itching and relieve the pain. We also used Ledum (homeopathic remedy) for bites and stings.

Comment from: Driver8, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I too was baffled about the many bites that I had developed mostly on my legs with a few on my back and arms. I thought I had picked up bed bugs from a stay at a college dorm a week earlier. After searching fruitlessly for telltale signs of bed bugs. I finally checked with my friend that had gone with me to look at some wood in a barn in rural Virginia a few days before and he had the same symptoms.

Comment from: Shnna T, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am in agony right now. Yesterday, my son and I decided to go on nature hike. We live in the north Georgia mountains. Never in my life have I ever had a chigger bite. I doused myself with Off before we left for our journey. When I got home, I started itching like something fierce. When I stripped down, my legs had spot all over them in patches, especially around my hips and the creases of my knees. It looks like mosquito bites. I tried witch hazel and Neosporin with no relief. My legs are clawed up from all of the scratching.

Comment from: Martha, 75 or over Female Published: July 31

I have a fever when I have lots of chigger bites. My doctor had me get nit and lice treatment and put on the bites wait 15 min then shower. I tried hydrogen peroxide and it helped some. I am highly allergic to them.

Comment from: Barbara, Female Published: July 10

My favorite treatment? NOXEMA! Though it helps with the itching, the bites still end up looking like weird cigarette burns.

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

After years of suffering with chigger bites, someone told me a simple treatment - one you always have with you. Spit on your finger and rub the bite area. When itching returns, repeat. Avoid scratching. I had tried everything on the market and would still have welts that took 3 or more weeks to heal. Now my bites heal in days.

Comment from: dressKR, 35-44 Female Published: June 18

I was bitten by chiggers on a trip to the beach. I have never felt such intense itching before in my entire life. I couldn't sleep at night and everything I tried to do I was interrupted by all the intense itching. I tried every over-the-counter treatment possible including topical hydrocortisone and other anti-itch creams. I would wake up at night crying because I could not get any relief.

Comment from: wewlicu48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had chigger bites from cutting down some brush. So what I did was soak in Bleach water for about 15 minutes and it does stop the itching for hours.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female Published: May 29

I wore long pants, socks, shoes, a long-sleeved shirt, gloves, and a hat. Only my face and neck were uncovered (no bites there). I still got approximately 50 bites, from my armpits to my feet. My groin area is especially affected. I am on day 3, and the itching is unbearable. Caladryl clear lotion works quickly, but needs to be applied often. I used poison ivy soap to make a paste after taking an oatmeal bath and things are calm for the moment. I've been taking Benadryl at night.

Chiggers - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.