Patient Comments: Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

Comment from: Deborah, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have had chigger bites for the past 2 years. This is from working around the lawn, pulling weeds etc. I am currently having the best itch treatment with Aveeno.

Comment from: Garett, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I got chiggers on my right ankle while pushing my way through a thicket to clear it for deer season. This was about 2 months ago maybe a little longer. At first they were just on my right ankle then on my left ankle and after that I had them everywhere but the unmentionables. They itched like fire, I tried everything but nothing worked. Eventually they all went away but not from my right ankle. The initial swelled up bites went down but left little scars but now every couple days, sometimes every couple hours, the first infected spot still itches so much it's like having them over again every time. Nothing makes this go away at all. Every time I scratch them they raise back up and leave more scars; how do you make these go away!

Comment from: CD, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I did some work in my yard on Saturday. It was Monday while I was at work that I started itching a lot and all over. Tuesday I woke up itching and with bumps so at first I assumed I had poison ivy (which I have had several times in my life). But by Wednesday spots were still popping up and was extremely itchy. The calamine and hydrocortisone was only slight relief. By Thursday it still had not started drying up and got worse. So today, (Friday) still thinking poison ivy I went to the doctor who immediately told me it was not poison Ivy and sent me straight to the dermatologist who confirmed chiggers. He prescribed me prednisone (a steroid). He said that over the counter hydrocortisone cream is for things like ant and mosquito bites and is not sufficient for chiggers or even any of the poison leaves such as Ivy, oak, or sumac, and calamine lotion is a drying medication that is pretty much just for oozing blister such as poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac that you just want to dry up and not let the oozing spread. All that being said, from now on I will skip the lotions and crèmes and the doctor and go straight to the dermatologist.

Comment from: KT, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I had no clue why I was itching unbearably, I couldn't sleep! I had welts all over my body, mostly concentrated on my feet, legs and groin area, with a few on my arms and armpits. Some became pus filled and crusty. Nasty enough for me to check in to the local dermatologist, who prescribed clobetasol and an antihistamine to help me sleep. An hour after applying clobetasol, I don't really feel like it's helped much, but it's not worse, perhaps a little better. Prior to the medicine, I was using over the counter cortisone cream which worked ok, as well as aloe gel, which worked pretty well (maybe because it had alcohol in it). I'm glad it's just chiggers, but yow, this itching is horrible!

Comment from: dustin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

To start with I am 19 years old. I started having symptoms of atrial fibrillation even though I did not know what I had at the time. I went to the emergency room (ER) and needless to say, what a night! I started with an EKG that showed I had atrial fibrillation that worried me a little bit. They ran an IV and put some diltiazem in me which regulated my heart beat until the male nurse and I got into an argument. At that point my heart rate went to 150 which is borderline as they put it. Well, I did end up leaving the hospital on 12/18/15 at 2:15 against medical advice. If it starts to get worse I will go back to the hospital. I do plan to follow up with a heart doctor as soon as I can. I will keep posting as this goes on.

Comment from: Chuck, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

The extreme itch and the boils and pus filled bites were so insanely annoying and painful. The cream Chiggerex is what I used for the most part, Benadryl was also helpful. I flushed out my infected parts with cold ice water at least twice a day. I don't know if that helped it at all but it numbed the pain and relieved the itch for a short amount of time.

Comment from: Nadine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

When doing some backpacking in the Alps, I had a severe case of chigger bites. Being from the west of the US, I had no idea what I was dealing with. I suffered tremendous itching the last 4 days of my trip. When I got to Chamonix in France, the doctor took a look at me and told me I had a bad case of "aoutas" or chiggers in English. In France they treat it with a liquid called "Ascabiol". It is for scabies, but works very wells for chiggers.

Chiggers - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?
Chigger Bites - Prevention Question: Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.