Patient Comments: Chigger Bites - Prevention

Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.

Comment from: rocket88coupe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

Adding bleach to a very hot water bath, then rubbing alcohol rub down, helps a lot. Absorbing Junior seems to work for me too, I'm now loaded with the little pests will try Listerine or Campho. Next best advice for chigger relief is to stay out of pastures or grass or use Vicks VapoRub.

Comment from: Joel, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 30

The sulfur powder mentioned before is the most effective method for treating a whole yard. Just buy a 10 or 20 pound bag and use a mixer sprayer and spray your yard preferably a day or two before a rain. We live in Tennessee and used this on our yard after years of chigger infestation. Solved the problem in a day. Treatment lasts 1-2 years. For $20 and the absence of deadly chemicals, it"s worth it.

Comment from: outdoor experience f, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I found years ago that a good preventative for chigger bites is to dust the likely infestation area of your skin with Sulfur dust. This is an age old preventative and really works. Powdered sulfur can usually be purchased from your local pharmacy.

Comment from: Midwest Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I got 19 chigger bites just from a short time pulling weeds in my garden. After going through the routines that I grew up with...Chigger X, Benadryl, finger nail polish, I was getting minimal relief. Then I thought about what I'm really trying to do - remove the feeding tube! I filled a bath with water and added 2 1/2 cups of Epsom salt. I proceeded to soak in the bath for about 10-15 minutes and I haven't itched since!

Comment from: eagergardener, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

Once bitten by chigger I use wart remover pads (40 percent salicylic acid). Cut them into small squares and cover bite area. The quicker they are discovered and covered, the less itching there will be.

Comment from: Rita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have to disagree with the nail polish not providing a remedy for chigger bites, it does work and I guess it blocks off the stylostome feeding tube. I used Merthiolate on my bites only once and it gave me instant relief. I had them on my neck and lower arm that were constantly itching.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 22

I have been raised to believe that finger nail polish applied to the chigger bite will help kill the bug. I"ve been told it smothers the chigger, have no idea if this is true but am now using it on my granddaughter as she is covered with the darn things and it seems to be easing the itch also.

Comment from: Hayseedim, 75 or over Male Published: September 06

I use talcum powder on your body and no chigger bites.

Comment from: don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I am a retired conservation officer, so I have spent my entire life in the outdoors and have suffered my share of chigger bites. I tried every over the counter remedy and found no relief. Than a fellow Biologist told me to try (You are going to laugh. Preparation H., And it works. I put it on at the first sign of itching and then twice a day until it goes away and Preparation H, also shortens the time of itching. Sometimes as little as two days where before it was always 4 or 5 days. This summer is south central New England they seemed to be worse than in many years and we had new next door neighbors who dearly loved their new country acreage and then the chiggers struck with a vengeance. I told them of the P.H. remedy and they were very grateful. Hope this helps

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chiggers - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?