Patient Comments: Chigger Bites - Prevention

Please share tips for preventing chigger infestations and bites.

Comment from: maggie, 75 or over Female Published: July 23

One time everyone in the party got chigger bites but one. After going over many things, we found the only difference was he was wearing Old Spice Classic stick deodorant. Don't know the science behind it, but chiggers don't like it--if I and my husband plan an outdoor adventure where we might encounter them, we rub the deodorant stick on the skin around our ankles and above our knees and never have a problem.

Comment from: Barbara, Female Published: July 10

I work on a berry farm, so prevention has always been lots of bug spray, two pair of socks with pants tucked in, and leather boots. This year, I worked in the currant patch, where the lowest branches were on the ground, and so was I. [Now, I spray my entire pants legs, crotch and waist when picking currants.]

Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?
Chiggers - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your chigger bites?