Table of Contents
Quick GuideBad Bugs: Identify Bug Bites From Mosquitos, Spiders and More
What are the symptoms of chigger bites?
A chigger bite itself is not noticeable. After the chigger has begun to inject digestive enzymes into the skin (usually after about 1-3 hours), symptoms and signs typically begin.
- Pronounced itching is the most common symptom.
- The area of the bite may be reddened, flat, or raised; sometimes it resembles a pustule or blister.
- The itch is due to the presence of the stylostome and usually is most intense within 1-2 days after the bite.
- The itching persists for several days, and complete resolution of the skin lesions can take up to two weeks.
- If multiple bites are present, the condition may be mistaken for eczema or allergic contact dermatitis. A history of outdoor activity can suggest that chigger bites are the cause of itching and characteristic skin changes. Continue Reading
2. Luc Viatour / www.Lucnix.be (Wikipedia)
5. WebMD - Steve Pomberg
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter