Patient Comments: Chickenpox - Side Effects From Vaccine

Did your child experience any side effects from the chickenpox vaccine?

Comment from: Karabear81, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 20

Yes, I'm a mom of three and my youngest, the only one to get this chickenpox vaccine, has two of the side effects. My 1 year old experienced fever the next morning for 3 days as well as a rash on her cheek.

Comment from: Gremlin, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

I had pain so severe I could not stand or walk 50 meters even with a walking stick. I was misdiagnosed by my first general physician (GP) and went through 10 months of pain while having physiotherapy and acupuncture to no avail. Second GP said it was pinched nerve, and CT scan, MRI and operation found cyst at L4, L5. No pain after the lumbar laminectomy and I was walking same day. Now it is 18 days after operation and it is going well.

Comment from: KW, 35-44 (Patient) Published: October 02

I am 35 and got the varicella (chickenpox) vaccination yesterday. About 2 hours later I got a sore throat. During the evening I began to feel like I have a sinus infection or some sort of virus. I feel achy, tired, and had thick yellow mucus upon waking this morning. My throat is still sore and I hope this passes soon. My 18 month old son got his varicella vaccination last week and I saw no symptoms afterwards.

Comment from: Concerned momma, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

About 12 days after the chicken pox vaccine my 15 month old developed a full body rash (lasted 3 days), and a fever of 103.5 that lasted 7 days. Of course I brought him into the doctor, who just brushed it off. I have always planned to vaccinate my child but after this and the doctor not acknowledging anything wrong I will certainly reconsider having unnecessary vaccines done in the future. This is his first sickness ever so at least he's a very health boy.

Comment from: Bridget23, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am 21 years old (female), even though I have received the varicella vaccination a couple of years ago, I have developed chickenpox. It started off as a slight headache and feeling of tiredness then I noticed about 5 to 10 spots on my back and bottom. I assumed they were hives or some kind of an allergic reaction and went to bed. When I woke the next morning I had a horribly dry and sore throat and proceeded to blow my nose only to find dried blood in clots in my tissue. I went to the doctors and chickenpox was confirmed. It's been four/five days and my sore throat seems to be getting worse and effecting my ears, but my spots are not itchy, nor do I have any more than about 25.

Comment from: grannyrn, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

All my three children were vaccinated for chickenpox and did not experience any side effects. I had a greater concern were they not vaccinated. I am a registered nurse.

Chickenpox - Adult Experience Question: Please describe your experience with being infected with chickenpox as an adult.
Chickenpox - Symptoms and Signs Question: How did you first notice you or your child was infected with chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Treatment Question: What did your doctor recommend to treat chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Complications Question: Did you or your child experience complications from chickenpox? If so, what happened?