Patient Comments: Chickenpox - Adult Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with being infected with chickenpox as an adult.

Comment from: alfred, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

Sunday night I got fever, Monday I saw a few small red rashes. Tuesday, the rash increased, so Wednesday I went to the doctor and confirmed that it is chicken pox and I was given acyclovir. Rashes appeared everywhere and multiplied very fast and it went full blown blisters by night. I got a lot in the body and face (looks hideous). For these days, I had to control my fever by taking paracetamol. Thursday night all the rashes had maximized. Now it is my 5th day and it is Friday, I think it has stopped from spreading. Some started to dry up. My throat also hurts, difficult to swallow even liquids, but have to endure since I need to drink and eat. Also I was advised to bathe with boiled guava leaves in water which I think is also effective in healing. It was also advised to me by my doctor. Guava Leaves are used in herbal medicine as antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, antioxidant and they are good for drying and cleaning up wounds.

Comment from: Cant Stop Scratching, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I'm 39. Today is my 5th day with chicken pox. On the first day, it felt like 2 insect bites on my right shoulder. The next day, I started developing fever and got a few more red dots on my abdomen and left thigh. I went to see the doctor but was told to wait another day to confirm! On the 3rd day more red dots popped up on my abdomen, neck, and back; not good so I went to another doctor and was prescribed acyclovir. Fever was terrible but there was no itch. Oh my, on the 4th day the red dots erupted everywhere on my body and I started getting this bad sore throat. The worst was the scalp (at least 20 big ones). There were probably several hundred if not thousands all over my body. One huge gigantic one on my eyebrow. So today the 5th day is the day the itch started. Unbearable, starting from the scalp, neck to the back. The fever is gone but replaced with a blistering headache. I can't wait to get to the 14th day!

Comment from: K, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am a 48 year old male. My wife had shingles and within 14 days I developed flu-like symptoms, i.e. fever, shivering, body ache, fatigue, and sore throat. Within 48 hours, a red blister appeared on my torso which was obviously chickenpox. I went to the immediate care center and obtained prescription for acyclovir. The blisters continued to spread on days 4 and 5 (scalp, face, torso, arms and legs). The worst area is around my forehead, chin and lower cheeks. On day 5, the itching was intense. Now, on day 6, no new blisters, and they are all scabbing. Crossing my fingers that the medication shortened the breakout which it appears to have done. Wish I had taken chickenpox vaccine since I never had chickenpox as a child. They are no fun but it could have been worse.

Comment from: 2clickswest, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

It is rather morally depressing and disgusting to have a chickenpox. Being all ugly and itchy. But what concerns me most is that weird headache which is sort of stingy or like cold. Weird, but I have got to see a doctor anyway.

Comment from: Anghellika, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I am a 26 year old health care worker on a wellness clinic. I am on my 4th day encounter with chicken pox. It spread rapidly on my face and scalp on 3rd day. I was prescribed with acyclovir which I am currently taking. It has been tough being isolated, knowing you'll be alone on Christmas and New Year.

Comment from: Health Online Group, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am a patient of chicken pox and I am in high school. I'm so worried because I really need to cure it as soon as possible because I have a party to attend. I am so happy that I found a natural remedies and treatments to cure chicken pox in just 3 days or less. I am just sharing my experience.

Comment from: AJ, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm 30, and it is my 3rd or 4th day into my first ever chicken pox attack (VZV). It started on Tuesday with one or two spots on my torso. It was not itching. But by Wednesday, it had spread all over my upper trunk. It continued spreading through Thursday. I went to a doctor on Thursday, which was thanksgiving. He prescribed some steroids (prednisone 10 mg) and hydroxyzine pamoate 50 mg for the itching (which is basically a heavyweight Benadryl). It is Friday now and the rash has covered all over my body. There are more and new ones appearing today than ever before. I really hope it stops. By far the worst experience of my life.

Chickenpox (Varicella) - Side Effects Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the chickenpox vaccine?
Chickenpox - symptoms Question: How did you first notice you or your child was infected with chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Treatment Question: What did your doctor recommend to treat chickenpox?
Chickenpox - complications Question: Did you or your child experience complications from chickenpox? What happened?
Chickenpox - prevention Question: Were you or your child vaccinated against chickenpox? Why or why not did you decide to get the vaccine?