Patient Comments: Chickenpox - Adult Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with being infected with chickenpox as an adult.

Comment from: Rennie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Two or three weeks ago my 8 year old son developed shingles (rarely seen in children). I was worried as I myself and his younger sibling haven"t had chicken pox. Four days ago the younger child too started with spots. No fever, their few spots have all but cleared. I on the other hand, suffered a day and a half with the flu like symptoms, and my whole scalp was itchy. The next day I got some red spots, and the base of my hairline had bumps and were itchy. Now to today, I am covered in over 250 spots (yes, I just about counted them all, but keeping track was making me upset). Around 50 of those are now blistering. The worst affected area is my "lady region". I have several painful pox around the delicate areas. Every few minutes I weep in uncontrollable bursts of moaning, squeals and tears. Last night I was awake for 4 hours with "her" pain. I have several in my mouth; under my tongue, inside of my cheek, back of my mouth and in my throat. My glands behind my ears and down my throat are swollen, and I just want it to end. I am so happy my kids didn"t get this bad.

Comment from: Ad, 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 27

I've had chicken pox for just over 2 weeks now (31 years old), all spots now scabbed up and slowly clearing. At the start of it I suffered headaches and aches and pains, couple days later couple of spots on the stomach, then a day or so after that I was covered (I mean covered) all over stomach, chest, back, face, arms, thighs hands and feet. I went back to the doctor as I could hardly keep myself awake, I was so lethargic and weak. The doctor said it was the worst case he had seen on an adult (spot wise). He gave me acyclovir and the spots stopped appearing a day after that and now they are dried up and slowly flaking away. Over the 2 and a bit weeks of having it, there were 3 consecutive days when I was really bad with symptoms of being tired, weak, sick feeling, fever, sore throat, severe headache and eye ache; I was itchy, irritable, confused and fuzzy. It's not a nice thing to have but hopefully just a case of waiting for spots to go now, hopefully my face clears up soon, I look a mess.

Comment from: Rgallagher80, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I contracted chickenpox on thanksgiving morning 1 month before my 30th birthday. I was vaccinated young so I couldn't believe that I had it. I went through 14 days of staying in bed, on prednisone, acyclovir, and Keflex. It's been 3 years since that experience and I have developed rheumatoid arthritis, celiac, and most recently Crohn's. Before this, I was a healthy woman, a runner and full of energy. Now during a flare up I am exhausted, can't get my weight above 106 (used to be 134 5'2). I am being treated by amazing physicians.

Comment from: mukesh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I want to share my experience and highlight a few things as precaution in order to have early healing. 1. Don't eat salt for a week, it will help in reducing the itching sensation. 2. Avoid oily stuff and have more milk products. 3. Change your bed-sheet on a daily basis and not take bath for at least first five days. It helps reduce the probability of spreading the pox. Over and above these take doctor prescribed medicine.

Comment from: vaithianathan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 46 years old and my family members experienced chicken pox during the last few days and now I am suffering with this. I had little bumps only but headache is severe and fever is also severe.

Comment from: kunhippa, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

unfortunately i am also experienced this miserable disease i am in late 40 age the sad thing is isolation and extreme pain in whole body and headache.

Comment from: Yellowsun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

My adult chicken pox experience has been a bit out of the norm. One night, without any symptoms, bumps developed on my abdomen and upper thighs. Then my stomach. A few days later, I had another wave of bumps appear on my neck, face and one side on the back of my head (very painful and itchy). While this was occurring, I was getting tiny red spots on my arms and legs. After about two days of getting no new bumps, another wave came and I got more on my lower legs, ankles and back. Not that itchy overall. My concern is this has been going on for 26 days.

Comment from: Yashaswini, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I am 21 years old and am suffering from chicken pox. I'm very miserable and really itchy, especially on my neck and head. I hope I recover soon.

Chickenpox (Varicella) - Side Effects Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the chickenpox vaccine?
Chickenpox - symptoms Question: How did you first notice you or your child was infected with chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Treatment Question: What did your doctor recommend to treat chickenpox?
Chickenpox - complications Question: Did you or your child experience complications from chickenpox? What happened?
Chickenpox - prevention Question: Were you or your child vaccinated against chickenpox? Why or why not did you decide to get the vaccine?