Patient Comments: Chickenpox - Adult Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with being infected with chickenpox as an adult.

Comment from: Jay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am a 46 year old female. A few days ago I felt so unwell but did know why. I got up two days ago, put myself in the shower and found spots, lots of spots. Off to the doctors, and I was diagnosed with adult chickenpox. The spots are everywhere now, on scalp and I have very long hair I can't ever brush because it is just too painful. They are in my ears and all over my body. I have mouth ulcers making it hard to eat. I just hope the medication and time will heal all.

Comment from: Vicki, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I'm 19 and currently going through the worst experience of my life, I have chicken pox. I had it as a child but unfortunately I have got it again, I have spots literally everywhere (back, front, buttocks, front private parts, my head, face, and ears). It all started about 4 or 5 days ago. Some spots have scabbed now and I'm not so itchy now, but what is really making me not sleep or eat is the chicken pox in my mouth, they are currently red with white heads on them. I can barely drink and I can't eat anything, it's too painful especially when I swallow. I don't think I can take this any longer. I'm currently taking ibuprofen, paracetamol, Piriton, and drinking as much water as I can.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I was diagnosed with chicken pox last week at the age of 53. I had no symptoms beforehand apart from feeling a little low and weepy. The spots appeared on my torso on Thursday night and I went to see the doctor Friday morning where I was given anti-viral tablets acyclovir. Apart from more spots developing on my back and arms which are itchy I feel fine. It has been six days now and I have stayed indoors but apart from making sure I drink regularly and rest now and again I have no other symptoms.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I am 50 years old. I was diagnosed with chicken pox 4 weeks ago after already having them two weeks prior. No fever, or chills, some body aches, but 6 weeks I into this, I am still breaking out. I have kept constant contact with my doctor. I haven't been to work for 4 out of the last 6 weeks. Today, they took more blood, and are contacting the center for infectious diseases to see if this is normal for me to be taking so long for the virus to run its course. Overall, I feel fine with the exception of the itching.

Comment from: The Black Plague, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am 24 and on day five of having chicken pox. One of the most unpleasant experiences of my life so far. I woke up with a serious fever originally, and headaches and general unwell-ness but worked through it. This happened again the following day, however by the end of the day my scalp was covered in bumps. I thought I'd been bitten by an angry bug. The morning following this, I woke up gasping for breath, barely able to move. I got taken to hospital where I was immediately admitted and put on a drip. Originally they thought I had chickenpox pneumonia but thankfully they ruled it out after 24 hours, so I am now home in bed. I still feel rather unwell, get headaches, keep randomly falling asleep and have a terribly sore throat. I also look like a bubonic plague victim, I'd be a perfect Game of Thrones extra right now. It's a horrible experience.

Comment from: indianmale, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I am 26 year old male from India. I contracted chicken pox from my nephew who had it. The symptoms started on a Sunday night when I had mild fever. On Monday morning, I could see rashes on my trunk area. I visited the doctor who prescribed acyclovir, Dolo, Cifran, Sompraz and Deslor. I had mild fever on Monday night as well and the number of rashes increased on Tuesday. Same pattern followed on Tuesday night as well. I observed a pattern of fever followed by appearance of rashes. For me none of the rashes itch except that I feel a pulling sensation on my skin, especially the face. Note that I am also following traditional Indian cures for curing chicken pox. Some of them are, eat only bland/sweet/sour food. Don't eat salty, spicy, oily food which increases itching. I ate rice, bread, fruits, dry fruits like almonds, and drank lots of coconuts water. While taking bath I use neem leaf extract to disinfect the water. I sit near the window to reduce sweating, which increases itching.

Comment from: David M., Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I have chicken pox right now. I did not feel like I could eat for first 2 days. Then the bumps came and it is the 3rd day of bumps so far, and more every day from the first. Now I have at least 1 in my mouth. They gave me a prescription of acyclovir 800 mg 5 times a day. I hope the rash worked its course by now. I am a 48 year old 145 pounds male.

Chickenpox (Varicella) - Side Effects Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the chickenpox vaccine?
Chickenpox - symptoms Question: How did you first notice you or your child was infected with chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Treatment Question: What did your doctor recommend to treat chickenpox?
Chickenpox - complications Question: Did you or your child experience complications from chickenpox? What happened?
Chickenpox - prevention Question: Were you or your child vaccinated against chickenpox? Why or why not did you decide to get the vaccine?