Patient Comments: Chickenpox - Adult Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with being infected with chickenpox as an adult.

Comment from: indianmale, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I am 26 year old male from India. I contracted chicken pox from my nephew who had it. The symptoms started on a Sunday night when I had mild fever. On Monday morning, I could see rashes on my trunk area. I visited the doctor who prescribed acyclovir, Dolo, Cifran, Sompraz and Deslor. I had mild fever on Monday night as well and the number of rashes increased on Tuesday. Same pattern followed on Tuesday night as well. I observed a pattern of fever followed by appearance of rashes. For me none of the rashes itch except that I feel a pulling sensation on my skin, especially the face. Note that I am also following traditional Indian cures for curing chicken pox. Some of them are, eat only bland/sweet/sour food. Don't eat salty, spicy, oily food which increases itching. I ate rice, bread, fruits, dry fruits like almonds, and drank lots of coconuts water. While taking bath I use neem leaf extract to disinfect the water. I sit near the window to reduce sweating, which increases itching.

Comment from: David M., Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I have chicken pox right now. I did not feel like I could eat for first 2 days. Then the bumps came and it is the 3rd day of bumps so far, and more every day from the first. Now I have at least 1 in my mouth. They gave me a prescription of acyclovir 800 mg 5 times a day. I hope the rash worked its course by now. I am a 48 year old 145 pounds male.

Comment from: aashish, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I had headache, body pain, and fever like feeling (but actually hadn't when I checked with thermometer). Next day small pimples appears in my scalp. I thought it was small sand particles (sand particles which generally stick to your head/scalp when you move across any construction site). I ignored that. Then on the very same day small pimple like thing appeared in my back near waist and in the toe. Again I ignored thinking that they were pimples due to summer heat. But it started again in my neck and upper arm and then I realized it must be something wrong. I consulted a doctor confirming chicken pox. Next day more bumps on my back. Expected some more in next few days.

Comment from: Megadon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I'm a 46 year old male. I'm getting another degree and decided to go to a BSN program (Bachelor of Science in Nursing). So I had to get all my immunizations up to date to work in a clinical setting. I got the varicella vaccine on 10/24/2014 and exactly 2 weeks later I broke out with the chickenpox. It really was mild, only a little pox on mostly my trunk, very few on my head, face, arms, and legs. I'm in day 5, and most are dried up and scabbed. But now I have a killer headache. I had body aches and pains the first 2 days, really no fever at all. I was lucky I guess to get it from the vaccine since they call that a breakthrough chickenpox. Now I hear that there are many cases of people getting the chickenpox after receiving the vaccine. So just a bit of warning. If you get the vaccine, you just might get the chicken pox.

Comment from: OzoneO, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was about 19 when I contracted chickenpox. The worst of it lasted about 3 weeks where I couldn't get out of bed due aches in the muscles/joints and nausea. Severe and constant headaches for the first few days were exacerbated by a body wracking cough that would in turn cause my whole body to hurt, from my head, to my aching throat, to all the joints. The blisters were mostly over my face, arms and upper chest, years later I still have some of the scars. The deep, painful cough lasted a few months after I'd recovered from everything else.

Comment from: Angie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I caught chicken pox from my elderly mother who recently had shingles. I am 48 years old. My chicken pox started with apparent neck/shoulder ache followed by severe yet periodic back pain. On day 4, shivers started. On day 6, I found one spot on my abdomen and 2 spots on my scalp. The next morning (day 7) I had several more spots which gradually increased in number. Then I realized that I had contracted chicken pox!! The fever actually lasted for 9 days in total! This has all happened just 3 months before my wedding, so I have been quite depressed to see my body covered with blisters, scabs and now a few scars. Anyhow, it certainly could have been a lot worse, so I am grateful for small mercies!

Comment from: BurbankCA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

First my 6 year old got chickenpox, then the next day my 8 year old woke up with it, then the 3rd day my 3 year old woke up with it. He was in bed with us and cried and was burning up. On the 4th day, I woke up and couldn't move, I had it. I was 32. My husband freaked and called doctor, the pediatrician put all 4 of us in hospital in our own room since I was in no shape to take care of anybody. The next day I had them in my lungs, hair, and every part of my skin. I ran a fever of 105 and they put me in ICU because I couldn't breathe. My kids got better after 5 days but I was in hospital for 2 weeks. I had to have something where they 'washed my lungs'. I don't know, it was weird and I don't remember much thank goodness!

Chickenpox (Varicella) - Side Effects Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the chickenpox vaccine?
Chickenpox - symptoms Question: How did you first notice you or your child was infected with chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Treatment Question: What did your doctor recommend to treat chickenpox?
Chickenpox - complications Question: Did you or your child experience complications from chickenpox? What happened?
Chickenpox - prevention Question: Were you or your child vaccinated against chickenpox? Why or why not did you decide to get the vaccine?