Patient Comments: Chickenpox - Adult Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with being infected with chickenpox as an adult.

Comment from: OzoneO, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I was about 19 when I contracted chickenpox. The worst of it lasted about 3 weeks where I couldn't get out of bed due aches in the muscles/joints and nausea. Severe and constant headaches for the first few days were exacerbated by a body wracking cough that would in turn cause my whole body to hurt, from my head, to my aching throat, to all the joints. The blisters were mostly over my face, arms and upper chest, years later I still have some of the scars. The deep, painful cough lasted a few months after I'd recovered from everything else.

Comment from: Angie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I caught chicken pox from my elderly mother who recently had shingles. I am 48 years old. My chicken pox started with apparent neck/shoulder ache followed by severe yet periodic back pain. On day 4, shivers started. On day 6, I found one spot on my abdomen and 2 spots on my scalp. The next morning (day 7) I had several more spots which gradually increased in number. Then I realized that I had contracted chicken pox!! The fever actually lasted for 9 days in total! This has all happened just 3 months before my wedding, so I have been quite depressed to see my body covered with blisters, scabs and now a few scars. Anyhow, it certainly could have been a lot worse, so I am grateful for small mercies!

Comment from: BurbankCA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

First my 6 year old got chickenpox, then the next day my 8 year old woke up with it, then the 3rd day my 3 year old woke up with it. He was in bed with us and cried and was burning up. On the 4th day, I woke up and couldn't move, I had it. I was 32. My husband freaked and called doctor, the pediatrician put all 4 of us in hospital in our own room since I was in no shape to take care of anybody. The next day I had them in my lungs, hair, and every part of my skin. I ran a fever of 105 and they put me in ICU because I couldn't breathe. My kids got better after 5 days but I was in hospital for 2 weeks. I had to have something where they 'washed my lungs'. I don't know, it was weird and I don't remember much thank goodness!

Comment from: SpottySue87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I'm 27 years of age and am suffering from chicken pox at the moment and I don't think I have ever experience anything like it. Here is how it started: Day 1: feeling a bit queasy, loss of appetite and head ache. Day 2: nausea but no vomiting, awful headache, shivers and body aches (almost flu like). Day 3: big bumps on my face and they didn't itch but were bothering me as more and more developed while I was at work. In the evening I noticed some on my chest and my suspicions began. Day 4: my face and head (underneath my long hair) were awfully itchy, I had a sore throat, dry cough and a very itchy vagina. I went to the doctors and he told me it was chicken pox but said it seemed mild so I must have had it before... he was so wrong. Day 5: I had a terrible night with the urge to constantly scratch, it was hot too so had a fan on all night to avoid sweating. I felt flu like again and had a load more spots. My face was smothered and my back, tummy, ears, armpits, vagina, bottom, nose, throat and mouth. This was the peak for me with more spots developing on my legs. I didn't want to get out of bed and just generally felt weak with a fever, shivers and aching body. Day 6: again, a terrible night sleep and really felt sorry for myself. Itching eased and some started to scab. Day 7: only just starting to dry up and fall off and generally feeling weak, aching body and weak feeling. The doctor seemed to think I must have had chicken pox before but how wrong he must have been. He obviously believes you can get it twice though and my parents honestly couldn't remember if I had it as a child or not. My son had caught it from nursery and recovered 3 weeks ago. So it does take time to develop. I have been taking ibuprofen, paracetamol (which never works for me anyway), bicarbonate of soda baths or oatmeal in a sock in the bath, calamine lotion, and a fan.

Comment from: SJDawn0123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was 37 years old. First symptom was feeling queasy and unable to eat. When I tried to eat or drink anything, even a teaspoon of water, I dry heaved. Nothing could stay down. Constant headache 24-7 and 103 fever. This lasted for about 4 days when in my foggy state I realized I hadn"t eaten or drunk anything for 4 days and that wasn"t a good thing. I called the doctor who stated I must go to emergency room which I did. They thought I had meningitis. I got an MRI, spinal tap (ouch), etc., all negative. Mom says I had it as a child, which apparently I did not since you can"t get it twice. Finally, they diagnosed it as chicken pox. No itching and only four sores on my wrist. I was never so sick in my whole life. After that ordeal was over, I developed secondary arthritis for weeks. I couldn"t even wear shoes, only sandals due to severe swelling in feet and legs. Felt like I was 90 years old when I tried to get out of bed each morning. I don"t wish this on anyone. If you are an adult and haven"t had chicken pox, please get the shot!

Comment from: Spotty UK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I had chicken pox at age 41. Day 1, tiredness, aches in muscles and joints, and shivery that night. Day 2, I was weak and had fever all day, a few red marks on chest, that evening high fever 40.1C. Day 3, I had around 50 spots on trunk, face, scalp, and palm of hand, and a fever of 38.5C. Day 4 I was covered in spots, many blistered, some beginning to dry, I still have fever of 38.5C. I have been taking paracetamol for the fever and using Aveeno shower gel and calamine (which does help in my case). I am also wearing only light cotton and leaving skin open to air when possible to help the pox dry out. Miserable disease but could be much worse.

Chickenpox (Varicella) - Side Effects Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the chickenpox vaccine?
Chickenpox - symptoms Question: How did you first notice you or your child was infected with chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Treatment Question: What did your doctor recommend to treat chickenpox?
Chickenpox - complications Question: Did you or your child experience complications from chickenpox? What happened?
Chickenpox - prevention Question: Were you or your child vaccinated against chickenpox? Why or why not did you decide to get the vaccine?