Patient Comments: Chickenpox - Adult Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with being infected with chickenpox as an adult.

Comment from: Yashaswini, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I am 21 years old and am suffering from chicken pox. I'm very miserable and really itchy, especially on my neck and head. I hope I recover soon.

Comment from: ~anna~, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am 60 years old, had chicken pox as a child and shingles on one section of my chest/back 40 years ago. Three weeks ago my husband had a very mild case of shingles, and yesterday I felt a mild itch on my abdomen. When I looked, I was surprised to see that my entire trunk, front and back had broke out. I had a mild sore throat the day before, and didn't notice it yesterday. Now this morning it's irritated again. No fever that I've noticed. I woke up this morning to just a few more spots but I started on Acyclovir last night within an hour of finding the spots. Mild itching so far.

Comment from: KL, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm 36 and was just diagnosed with chickenpox. Symptoms almost exactly as described on websites -- 2 days of fever/flu-like symptoms followed by red spots on face/scalp, followed by blisters centered on torso and head and then appearing on back. My fever has been around 101-102 for the full time, though it seems to be easing off now and bigger problem is aches/itching and minor headache/eye strain.

Comment from: Hema, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

In my early 30s I had chickenpox. Although I was told I was infected by it when I was little, it repeated. Since it was the second time, I did not have high fever. But, I had severe headache, body pain, mild fever, sore throat, and lower back pain for two days after which blisters appeared on my face and chest. Then it started to appear in my upper front body, then the back, and later on spread to arms and feet, and pretty much everywhere including my mouth. The third night of the blisters were the worst due to severe itching. I tried to cool it off with wearing a wet towel, oat bath, running neem leaf strands on the body, aloe lotion, and ended up with tablets for it. It has scabbed now and the itch has started again although it's not severe as earlier.

Comment from: chippa, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

when I had chickenpox, it was so severe that I nearly lost my sight, but I'm recovering.

Comment from: Egirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had already had chicken pox as a child but much later caught it again from my 14 month old grandaughter. First 2 days extreme tiredness and aches and shivers. Thought I had the flu. Then spots appeared face hands feet being most affected. Feet extremely sore on soles. Definitely not s bad as when I was a kid but still a week or so of illness.

Comment from: miserable, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I am in my late 30s and have just developed chicken pox. I have had very high fevers and lots of aches mostly in the back of my head and neck. My eyes have constantly ached. As for spots, they have managed to develop on every part of my body as pus blisters.

Comment from: gregsqueen, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 09

My husband is 37 years old, and a week ago he started getting a few bumps which at first we thought were bug bites. It then spread a little bit so we said maybe it was poison ivy since he works outdoors. We finally made an appointment for the next morning. It was confirmed he has chicken pox. I'm glad to say that it isn't as bad as the Internet makes it sound. It has been a week today since we first saw spots and there has been no fever, no oozing and some are already shrinking. Other than feeling a little icky, his experience hasn't been awful. I'm hoping that our five children do not get the virus. Good luck to you all>

Comment from: Odd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I'm 43 and had six chicken pox when I was 13. I only knew so, because my brother and sister had them at the time. Now I have a couple of dozen and my 10 year old has a mild case with only 5 or 6--she had been vaccinated. I'd been in denial, thinking it may be bug bites, but when I found one on the inside of my upper lip, I have accepted it. She ran a 101.4 temp before the bumps appeared, but my only symptoms were fatigue, irritability, dizziness and headache.

Chickenpox (Varicella) - Side Effects Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the chickenpox vaccine?
Chickenpox - symptoms Question: How did you first notice you or your child was infected with chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Treatment Question: What did your doctor recommend to treat chickenpox?
Chickenpox - complications Question: Did you or your child experience complications from chickenpox? What happened?
Chickenpox - prevention Question: Were you or your child vaccinated against chickenpox? Why or why not did you decide to get the vaccine?