Patient Comments: Chickenpox - Adult Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with being infected with chickenpox as an adult.

Comment from: Rgallagher80, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I contracted chickenpox on thanksgiving morning 1 month before my 30th birthday. I was vaccinated young so I couldn't believe that I had it. I went through 14 days of staying in bed, on prednisone, acyclovir, and Keflex. It's been 3 years since that experience and I have developed rheumatoid arthritis, celiac, and most recently Crohn's. Before this, I was a healthy woman, a runner and full of energy. Now during a flare up I am exhausted, can't get my weight above 106 (used to be 134 5'2). I am being treated by amazing physicians.

Comment from: vaithianathan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 46 years old and my family members experienced chicken pox during the last few days and now I am suffering with this. I had little bumps only but headache is severe and fever is also severe.

Comment from: kunhippa, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

unfortunately i am also experienced this miserable disease i am in late 40 age the sad thing is isolation and extreme pain in whole body and headache.

Comment from: Yellowsun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

My adult chicken pox experience has been a bit out of the norm. One night, without any symptoms, bumps developed on my abdomen and upper thighs. Then my stomach. A few days later, I had another wave of bumps appear on my neck, face and one side on the back of my head (very painful and itchy). While this was occurring, I was getting tiny red spots on my arms and legs. After about two days of getting no new bumps, another wave came and I got more on my lower legs, ankles and back. Not that itchy overall. My concern is this has been going on for 26 days.

Comment from: Yashaswini, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I am 21 years old and am suffering from chicken pox. I'm very miserable and really itchy, especially on my neck and head. I hope I recover soon.

Comment from: ~anna~, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am 60 years old, had chicken pox as a child and shingles on one section of my chest/back 40 years ago. Three weeks ago my husband had a very mild case of shingles, and yesterday I felt a mild itch on my abdomen. When I looked, I was surprised to see that my entire trunk, front and back had broke out. I had a mild sore throat the day before, and didn't notice it yesterday. Now this morning it's irritated again. No fever that I've noticed. I woke up this morning to just a few more spots but I started on Acyclovir last night within an hour of finding the spots. Mild itching so far.

Comment from: KL, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm 36 and was just diagnosed with chickenpox. Symptoms almost exactly as described on websites -- 2 days of fever/flu-like symptoms followed by red spots on face/scalp, followed by blisters centered on torso and head and then appearing on back. My fever has been around 101-102 for the full time, though it seems to be easing off now and bigger problem is aches/itching and minor headache/eye strain.

Comment from: Hema, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

In my early 30s I had chickenpox. Although I was told I was infected by it when I was little, it repeated. Since it was the second time, I did not have high fever. But, I had severe headache, body pain, mild fever, sore throat, and lower back pain for two days after which blisters appeared on my face and chest. Then it started to appear in my upper front body, then the back, and later on spread to arms and feet, and pretty much everywhere including my mouth. The third night of the blisters were the worst due to severe itching. I tried to cool it off with wearing a wet towel, oat bath, running neem leaf strands on the body, aloe lotion, and ended up with tablets for it. It has scabbed now and the itch has started again although it's not severe as earlier.

Comment from: chippa, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

when I had chickenpox, it was so severe that I nearly lost my sight, but I'm recovering.

Comment from: Egirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had already had chicken pox as a child but much later caught it again from my 14 month old grandaughter. First 2 days extreme tiredness and aches and shivers. Thought I had the flu. Then spots appeared face hands feet being most affected. Feet extremely sore on soles. Definitely not s bad as when I was a kid but still a week or so of illness.

Chickenpox (Varicella) - Side Effects Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the chickenpox vaccine?
Chickenpox - symptoms Question: How did you first notice you or your child was infected with chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Treatment Question: What did your doctor recommend to treat chickenpox?
Chickenpox - complications Question: Did you or your child experience complications from chickenpox? What happened?
Chickenpox - prevention Question: Were you or your child vaccinated against chickenpox? Why or why not did you decide to get the vaccine?