Patient Comments: Chickenpox (Varicella) - Side Effects

Question:Did your child experience any side effects from the chickenpox vaccine?

Comment from: Bridget23, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am 21 years old (female), even though I have received the varicella vaccination a couple of years ago, I have developed chickenpox. It started off as a slight headache and feeling of tiredness then I noticed about 5 to 10 spots on my back and bottom. I assumed they were hives or some kind of an allergic reaction and went to bed. When I woke the next morning I had a horribly dry and sore throat and proceeded to blow my nose only to find dried blood in clots in my tissue. I went to the doctors and chickenpox was confirmed. It's been four/five days and my sore throat seems to be getting worse and effecting my ears, but my spots are not itchy, nor do I have any more than about 25.

Comment from: grannyrn, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

All my three children were vaccinated for chickenpox and did not experience any side effects. I had a greater concern were they not vaccinated. I am a registered nurse.

Comment from: Katwoman11, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 11

Two weeks after My 1 year old son received his varicella immunization a papular rash that I assumed were mosquito bites began on his legs. Then Weeks 3-4 the rash spread to his back and arms. I brought him to a dermatologist who Inspected with a dermascope and said it was probably a reaction to immunization. The rash got worse so I went to the pediatrician who then referred me to a pediatric dermatologist. My baby was subjected to a punch biopsy. The results said it could be bites and scabies could not be ruled out. After 2 courses of promethrin, treating the furniture, fumigating the house the rash is worse. P.S. 2 other children and 4 adults in house have no bites or rash throughout this experience and the baby has slept with his brother and in parent's bed.

Published: August 30

My daughter experienced a slight temp on day 7 after the vaccine and then on day 9 started with a rash. The rash started on her face and then by day 11 had the rash from head to toe. She was sleepy and had lost her appetite. Incredible though was that on the day that the rash was most noticeable and wide spread by the evening it was nearly gone. Quick and efficient immune system our children have thankfully. :)

Comment from: Kelly, Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

Six days after my vaccine my son had a rash form on his upper inner thigh. I thought it was a reaction to nappies. The next morning when I changed his nappy, spots had formed all over his legs, feet, genital area, lifted his shirt and yes tummy and back and also on his chin. They are blistering and irritating him as he keeps scratching.

Comment from: Tifdotcom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 26

My daughter got a rash with about 7 blisters at the vaccine site after about 2 weeks. A high fever (104) that lasted 3+ days came around a week after the vaccine. May or may not be related (fever) but no other symptoms besides fever and rash immediately after.

Chickenpox - Adult Experience Question: Please describe your experience with being infected with chickenpox as an adult.
Chickenpox - symptoms Question: How did you first notice you or your child was infected with chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Treatment Question: What did your doctor recommend to treat chickenpox?
Chickenpox - complications Question: Did you or your child experience complications from chickenpox? What happened?
Chickenpox - prevention Question: Were you or your child vaccinated against chickenpox? Why or why not did you decide to get the vaccine?