Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Comment from: brennie12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I suffer from shortness of breath and chest pain when I walk up a hill or stairs. I went to the doctor, and he found I had an enlarged liver. The enlargement could have caused pressure and caused the chest pain, he said.

Comment from: Christine M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

My chest pain was caused by Takotsubo cardiomyopathy brought on by severe stress. Because I have a history of psychiatric problems, the pain was assumed to be a result of anxiety, and I was not assessed or given an ECG for three hours. Within minutes of having the ECG done, I was moved to Cardiac Care where I stayed for three days. I suffered a great deal of physical pain and discomfort and emotional trauma due to this lack of compassionate care.

Comment from: Cuthcavs79, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I wrestle, and the weird thing is that after practice I was fine. A few hours later, after doing work I guess with a bad posture, I started experience sharp chest pain and had a difficult time breathing and getting up and sitting down. I went to the doctor the next day, and they said it was costochondritis.

Comment from: reebok85, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 12

Well my husband who will be 40 this year fell over on a dirt bike which he has been riding since he was 5. Fell right over and landed on his elbow which naturally crushed into his left ribs. We figured broken ribs; no big deal. The pain was so unbearable he broke down and went to the doctor two days later. They said no broken or fractured ribs and sent him to the ER for ruptured spleen. Got CT scan and they said he was all fine just bruised. Well that was over a week ago and he feels just as bad as the first day. He said something was wrong. He has moving pain all the time, hard time breathing so he's back at the same ER for a second round. My only advice as a nurse to be: you know your body better than anyone else if you feel something's wrong trust that instinct. It could be the difference between life and death, and don't be afraid of a second opinion or third for that matter.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I already have a plate 2 rods and 8 screws in my L-4 and 5 where I fell off of our deck. Now I fell off my horse cart when the horse got scared, broke loose from the cart and took off. I in return fell off the right side, my right foot stuck in the spokes of the wheel and I twisted and hit the ground. My whole left arm and ribs hurt from breast to waist and it hurts to breathe deeply. I have had so many X-rays from my injury and kidney stones I am afraid to go to the doctor or hospital.

Comment from: Simon B, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have a serious chest pain. I developed it around June 2009 when i was doing a job of offloading and loading heavy materials from trucks. I did not do proper treatment at first because it was not severe, and i was also a smoker of cigarettes and marijuana and gomba (some type of leaves (drug) chewed with bubble gum). My situation worsened and i had to quit smoking, but up to now i still fill severe pain even when i just sit near someone smoking, carry something too heavy, or even run some distance etc. Please your help will be highly appreciated.

Comment from: bmrav71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I went to the emergency room with severe left chest and left back pain. I had many test preformed including a stress test. The stress test came out negative and my medical doctor seems as if he's not concerned.

Chest Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your chest pain?
Chest Pain - Broken or Bruised Ribs Question: Was the cause of your chest pain broken or bruised ribs? Please share your story.
Chest Pain - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams you received for your chest pain? What was the diagnosis?
Chest Pain - Pneumothorax Question: If the cause of your chest pain was pneumothorax, please discuss the tests, diagnosis and treatment.
Chest Pain - Angina and Heart Attack Question: Was angina the reason for your chest pain ? Please share your experience.