Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Comment from: Laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I woke up one morning and suddenly had pretty severe fatigue and tight squeezing in my chest. I went to the emergency room (ER) and test showed I had a heart attack. Angiogram showed arteries were perfect, low cholesterol, great blood pressure. They said it is a spasm of the artery in the heart. Don't know the cause. They put me on a drug to control it but I had a bad reaction to it and ended up back in the ER, now just have to carry the nitro with me until they find a drug that might work. I couldn't get a follow up appointment for 6 weeks. I am still having mild problems which I now realize I was having for about a year. I am very fit and never thought just fatigue was heart problem.

Comment from: GD, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I was blowing my nose while bathing, pressure was so intense that it caused sudden back pain, and I was immovable for minutes and then the pain was unbearable. I visited the doctor and took medicines, back pain is reduced but chest pain is still there. It is 15 days from that, and chest pain occurs while waking up from sleep.

Comment from: Christine M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My chest pain was caused by Takotsubo cardiomyopathy brought on by severe stress. Because I have a history of psychiatric problems, the pain was assumed to be a result of anxiety, and I was not assessed or given an ECG for three hours. Within minutes of having the ECG done, I was moved to Cardiac Care where I stayed for three days. I suffered a great deal of physical pain and discomfort and emotional trauma due to this lack of compassionate care.

Comment from: brennie12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I suffer from shortness of breath and chest pain when I walk up a hill or stairs. I went to the doctor, and he found I had an enlarged liver. The enlargement could have caused pressure and caused the chest pain, he said.

Comment from: brennie12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 07

When I go to sleep, after some time chest pain starts and I also have problem with breathing that time.

Comment from: ABS, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

My chest pain is caused through inflammation of chest due to pleurisy.

Comment from: Simon B, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have a serious chest pain. I developed it around June 2009 when i was doing a job of offloading and loading heavy materials from trucks. I did not do proper treatment at first because it was not severe, and i was also a smoker of cigarettes and marijuana and gomba (some type of leaves (drug) chewed with bubble gum). My situation worsened and i had to quit smoking, but up to now i still fill severe pain even when i just sit near someone smoking, carry something too heavy, or even run some distance etc. Please your help will be highly appreciated.

Chest Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your chest pain?
Chest Pain - Broken or Bruised Ribs Question: Was the cause of your chest pain broken or bruised ribs? Please share your story.
Chest Pain - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams you received for your chest pain? What was the diagnosis?
Chest Pain - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chest pain.
Chest Pain - Angina and Heart Attack Question: Was angina the reason for your chest pain ? Please share your experience.