Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Comment from: Lena, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am a senior woman, but have low cholesterol and normal blood pressure. My blood tests show a high HDL Count. I take a Pepcid A/C at bedtime because sometimes I awake with heartburn. I am prescribed meds for low thyroid which is now at a normal range. Last night I awoke with a pain in my chest. A tight heavy pain. I lay still and in about 1 0r 2 minutes it went away. I lay on my side then and dozed but was awakened with a pain in my right arm. When I moved the pain went immediately away.

Comment from: Gerri, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

Had sharp chest pain that lasted for 30 min. ECG was normal. Had scope done. Found bleeding ulcers. 3% was anemic. If 4% would have needed a blood transfusion. Had no problems with my stomach. Was eating ice all day long. Very important clue. That was a sign of anemia. Look up PICA. I am taking Nexium and Iron pills. Dr. said it may take a year for my blood to be normal. I'm 73 years old. I have no heart problems in family and pretty healthy otherwise.

Comment from: Taryth, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

My chest pain occurs on an abnormal basis, at seemingly random times. I am a 20 year old male, 5 10 130 lbs. I consider myself to be reasonably fit; I bicycle regularly. The thing is, my heart, for no reason, sometimes will begin beating either erratically, or very forcefully (by erratically I mean I can put my hand on my chest and FEEL it beating out of order and very fast). This happens throughout the day, and seems to have gotten worse this past year specifically. I don't remember this really being a noticeable, daily thing from before 19ish. The pain associated this is almost as if someone is grabbing my heart/the area around it. The pain persists for long periods of time.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I recently had a heart attack. Only symptom was burning in both lungs like when you go jogging on a cold day. This only happened when I had modest elevated activity. It went away if I closed my mouth and added moisture to my mouth. I thought I had bronchitis. I had the symptoms for a month. I went to the doctors, they took a blood test and found a miniscule amount of the blood "marker" (0.08 troponin). Stress test and echocardiogram were negative. An experienced cardiologist said "pain during activity is cardio. " 1-1/2 hours later I had a stint in place of a 95% heart artery blockage. No heart damage, in fact I regained 30% more heart muscle than I have had in years. Back at work the next day.

Comment from: Bridget, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am a 32 year old black female who has been having severe mid-chest pains on a regular monthly basis for the last two to three years. I have seen internists, gynecologists and cardiologists, none of whom have been able to explain the cause of these pains. The time of month when the pains occur are approximately midway between my periods.

Comment from: need to know, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was recently hospitalized for severe chest pain with shortness of breath (like something was sitting on my chest then acute pain from left breast bone through shoulder blade), also heart cath was done. At first the doctor thought it was a blockage during the procedure gave the nurse to inject the medicine into IV. Nitro solution did dilate my artery. I haven't got any clear answers. I have had all studies done such as stress test, 2d echo, heart cath, egd, gallbladder studies and esophogram. Everything was fine. I am not depressed nor stress out. On my Echo report it did indicate mild Mitral regurgitation.

Comment from: diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

i had surgery in february for ductal carcinoma in situ (pre cancerous cells in milk ducts) followed by a course of radiotherapy. the past few days i have been getting a sharp pain in the chest area on the side of the breast which was operated on. the pain feels as though it is inside my chest rather than in the breast, do you have any idea what could be causing it.

Chest Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your chest pain?
Chest Pain - Broken or Bruised Ribs Question: Was the cause of your chest pain broken or bruised ribs? Please share your story.
Chest Pain - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams you received for your chest pain? What was the diagnosis?
Chest Pain - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chest pain.
Chest Pain - Angina and Heart Attack Question: Was angina the reason for your chest pain ? Please share your experience.