Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I recently had a heart attack. Only symptom was burning in both lungs like when you go jogging on a cold day. This only happened when I had modest elevated activity. It went away if I closed my mouth and added moisture to my mouth. I thought I had bronchitis. I had the symptoms for a month. I went to the doctors, they took a blood test and found a miniscule amount of the blood "marker" (0.08 troponin). Stress test and echocardiogram were negative. An experienced cardiologist said "pain during activity is cardio. " 1-1/2 hours later I had a stint in place of a 95% heart artery blockage. No heart damage, in fact I regained 30% more heart muscle than I have had in years. Back at work the next day.

Comment from: Bridget, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am a 32 year old black female who has been having severe mid-chest pains on a regular monthly basis for the last two to three years. I have seen internists, gynecologists and cardiologists, none of whom have been able to explain the cause of these pains. The time of month when the pains occur are approximately midway between my periods.

Comment from: need to know, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was recently hospitalized for severe chest pain with shortness of breath (like something was sitting on my chest then acute pain from left breast bone through shoulder blade), also heart cath was done. At first the doctor thought it was a blockage during the procedure gave the nurse to inject the medicine into IV. Nitro solution did dilate my artery. I haven't got any clear answers. I have had all studies done such as stress test, 2d echo, heart cath, egd, gallbladder studies and esophogram. Everything was fine. I am not depressed nor stress out. On my Echo report it did indicate mild Mitral regurgitation.

Comment from: diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

i had surgery in february for ductal carcinoma in situ (pre cancerous cells in milk ducts) followed by a course of radiotherapy. the past few days i have been getting a sharp pain in the chest area on the side of the breast which was operated on. the pain feels as though it is inside my chest rather than in the breast, do you have any idea what could be causing it.

Comment from: Bill, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I've been having a reoccurring chest pain on my left side by my heart for a long time now. I was checked by a specialist and even went to the ER, and they said I had digestive disorders. I'm not sure, but I think it's more serious than what they told me.

Comment from: ., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I feel pain in my left and right chest when I turn to the both sides. A scan has been done including X- ray, but nothing was found. I have taken drugs like Peflotab, Fleming, Vitamin tabs and muscular skeletal drugs, but the pain still persists.

Comment from: LPMT, 45-54 Female Published: January 22

My chest pain started when I began to have gum irritation. Both started this year when menopausal symptoms became severe. The chest pain comes and goes, is always on the left side 3-4 inches below shoulder and sometimes travels down upper left arm. I had preliminary tests by cardiologist which showed nothing. However MD wants to do more tests - just in case. Periodontist is at a loss. Says it could be estrogen fluctuations, etc. I am 49 - female.

Comment from: chunkyt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have sickle cell disease, and I've already had a stroke. Now, for the past two years, I have been having pain in my chest. It is located in the back right under my shoulder bone, and whenever I take a deep breath, it is met with a sharp stabbing pain, and I can't catch my breath. My heart rate is in the 100s when I am standing, and the oxygen level is in the 70s, but when I am sitting or lying on my right side, then it is at 100%. I have had the chest X-ray and blood test and they were abnormal. So the doctors did a CT scan, which didn't show anything.

Chest Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your chest pain?
Chest Pain - Broken or Bruised Ribs Question: Was the cause of your chest pain broken or bruised ribs? Please share your story.
Chest Pain - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams you received for your chest pain? What was the diagnosis?
Chest Pain - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chest pain.
Chest Pain - Angina and Heart Attack Question: Was angina the reason for your chest pain ? Please share your experience.