Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Comment from: equitation, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had some "tearing and stabbing" in my left upper chest a few weeks ago after recovering from a cold/flu and couldn't breathe. I saw a doctor at a walk in clinic and she told me she thought I tore a muscle in my chest and to take it easy for a while. I work outdoors. Now, a few weeks later during rest in the evening it has come back very strong and I cannot breathe or exert much effort into anything without feeling severe pain. It is now over 2 days straight and it is not improving. I know I should go back to the doctor.

Comment from: E Cameron, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

My chest pain was caused, I'm certain, by excessive alcohol abuse. I had short stabbing pains for most of the following afternoon. Call it the hangover from hell if you like. I went to the hospital and received excellent care. It was decided after two blood tests, 4 EGCs, a chest x ray and 3 blood pressure tests that I did not suffer a heart attack. The pains were most likely nervous system induced but none the less frightening. Less than 48 hours later I have had no pain.

Comment from: pooja, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Hi. I got TB on 22 Feb., 2009. I have completed my course for 6 months and still have problems like cough and chest pain.

Comment from: almostdied2beperfect, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

Constant strain from purging when I had bulimia, it was horrible, somedays. It just went through my whole body and I couldn't even get out of bed.

Comment from: Bobbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been experiencing pain in the upper chest and rapid heart beat. I have had this happen to me three times in the last week. I also feel like I am going to pass out. I also have been having pain in my right shoulder blade. I spent in the night in the hospital, and they had me on a heart monitor, along with running an EKG, echo, blood, and stress tests. They have not found anything. They said that I have scarring on my lungs and that I have an abnormal heart beat. I have been having night sweats and shortness of breath. They are putting an event monitor on me, but I feel as if I need to have a CT scan on my lungs and heart. I am usually very active, and I have no energy.

Comment from: LWells0402, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I have a severe chest pain when I first wake up. It decreases slightly as I move about. Also, I have shortness of breath and a lot of burping. My blood pressure is nearly perfect. My EKG was fine, and my doctor said everything sounded good. The pain stays with me all day but lessens later in the day and early evening. I took the seven-day methylprednisolone, and it did not seem to help.

Comment from: Earle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 19

From time to time, I have a fast heartbeat, at which time my chest hurts. That is the way I know my heart is beating fast. Today, it was 126, later 132, then 143 and about eight hours later, it was back to 73. I was not doing anything that would make my heart do that. I have worn a monitor for 24 hours and then 30 days. I have also had an echocardiogram. The doctors do not know what causes it, but it is scary.

Comment from: concerned, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I been having a pinching pain in my left side of my chest that only last a few seconds. Mostly when I change my posture. This has been going on for about a week along with heartburn an indigestion.

Chest Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your chest pain?
Chest Pain - Broken or Bruised Ribs Question: Was the cause of your chest pain broken or bruised ribs? Please share your story.
Chest Pain - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams you received for your chest pain? What was the diagnosis?
Chest Pain - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chest pain.
Chest Pain - Angina and Heart Attack Question: Was angina the reason for your chest pain ? Please share your experience.