Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Comment from: almostdied2beperfect, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

Constant strain from purging when I had bulimia, it was horrible, somedays. It just went through my whole body and I couldn't even get out of bed.

Comment from: Bobbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been experiencing pain in the upper chest and rapid heart beat. I have had this happen to me three times in the last week. I also feel like I am going to pass out. I also have been having pain in my right shoulder blade. I spent in the night in the hospital, and they had me on a heart monitor, along with running an EKG, echo, blood, and stress tests. They have not found anything. They said that I have scarring on my lungs and that I have an abnormal heart beat. I have been having night sweats and shortness of breath. They are putting an event monitor on me, but I feel as if I need to have a CT scan on my lungs and heart. I am usually very active, and I have no energy.

Comment from: LWells0402, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I have a severe chest pain when I first wake up. It decreases slightly as I move about. Also, I have shortness of breath and a lot of burping. My blood pressure is nearly perfect. My EKG was fine, and my doctor said everything sounded good. The pain stays with me all day but lessens later in the day and early evening. I took the seven-day methylprednisolone, and it did not seem to help.

Comment from: Earle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 19

From time to time, I have a fast heartbeat, at which time my chest hurts. That is the way I know my heart is beating fast. Today, it was 126, later 132, then 143 and about eight hours later, it was back to 73. I was not doing anything that would make my heart do that. I have worn a monitor for 24 hours and then 30 days. I have also had an echocardiogram. The doctors do not know what causes it, but it is scary.

Comment from: concerned, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I been having a pinching pain in my left side of my chest that only last a few seconds. Mostly when I change my posture. This has been going on for about a week along with heartburn an indigestion.

Comment from: Lena, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am a senior woman, but have low cholesterol and normal blood pressure. My blood tests show a high HDL Count. I take a Pepcid A/C at bedtime because sometimes I awake with heartburn. I am prescribed meds for low thyroid which is now at a normal range. Last night I awoke with a pain in my chest. A tight heavy pain. I lay still and in about 1 0r 2 minutes it went away. I lay on my side then and dozed but was awakened with a pain in my right arm. When I moved the pain went immediately away.

Comment from: Gerri, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

Had sharp chest pain that lasted for 30 min. ECG was normal. Had scope done. Found bleeding ulcers. 3% was anemic. If 4% would have needed a blood transfusion. Had no problems with my stomach. Was eating ice all day long. Very important clue. That was a sign of anemia. Look up PICA. I am taking Nexium and Iron pills. Dr. said it may take a year for my blood to be normal. I'm 73 years old. I have no heart problems in family and pretty healthy otherwise.

Comment from: Taryth, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

My chest pain occurs on an abnormal basis, at seemingly random times. I am a 20 year old male, 5 10 130 lbs. I consider myself to be reasonably fit; I bicycle regularly. The thing is, my heart, for no reason, sometimes will begin beating either erratically, or very forcefully (by erratically I mean I can put my hand on my chest and FEEL it beating out of order and very fast). This happens throughout the day, and seems to have gotten worse this past year specifically. I don't remember this really being a noticeable, daily thing from before 19ish. The pain associated this is almost as if someone is grabbing my heart/the area around it. The pain persists for long periods of time.

Chest Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your chest pain?
Chest Pain - Broken or Bruised Ribs Question: Was the cause of your chest pain broken or bruised ribs? Please share your story.
Chest Pain - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams you received for your chest pain? What was the diagnosis?
Chest Pain - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chest pain.
Chest Pain - Angina and Heart Attack Question: Was angina the reason for your chest pain ? Please share your experience.