Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Comment from: Rod, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 01

My chest pain occurs in an area no larger than a marble and is located approximately three inches left of the center of my chest and at least 1 or 2 inches inward. It lasts sometimes only two or three minutes and other times as long as two or three days. I was discharged from the government in 1980 because of it. I have had angiograms, EKGs, echocardiograms, and stress tests both chemical and physical since that time and as recent as three or four months ago. I have been hospitalized with it on three occasions and the results are always that nothing is wrong. I don't want any more hospital false alarms, but I am concerned that a more serious problem with my heart may occur. At this date, the pain has been off an on for the last three days, but with a new twist: The pain travels a thin route from the source to the left underarm and downward on the inside of arm as though following a vein.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had pain in the left side of my chest near the center. I went to the ER, turned out to be costochondritis, an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs. Thought I was having a heart attack, so glad it's not my heart.

Comment from: happy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I had surgery recently and now I have quite a bit of swelling. My doctor is worried about blood clots.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have a lot of chest tightness and pain due to asthma. I am short I breath and cough from asthma. My doctor told me today it is from asthma but on the other hand, I do not ignore the pains in my chest.

Comment from: bmrav71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I went to the emergency room with severe left chest and left back pain. I had many test preformed including a stress test. The stress test came out negative and my medical doctor seems as if he's not concerned.

Published: March 04

Thank you very much for giving such valuable information in the service of humanity. Mahesh Kumar Sharma, MD

Comment from: Babu, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

2 weeks before I was having a severe chest pain. I just Googled “chest pain” and it came to your site where it clearly mentioned about the symptoms which I had. Immediately, I went to hospital and was admitted in hospital emergency ward. It was myocardial infarction. I was under treatment for 2 weeks. Now, I am back at home and I am resting. Thanks a lot, it saved my life!

Comment from: Mary, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 30

The cause of my chest pain was a heart attack. I am a 77 years old, and when I was 75, I suffered two heart attacks. The pain was below my sternum, radiating to my back. Soon it was all over my chest. I never sweated or had jaw pain or arm pain. My son and grandson who live with me rushed me to the hospital. I was having a heart attack and the cardiologist did an angioplasty and opened the left main artery which was 80 percent blocked. I go for stress tests and am very thankful that my children insisted that I go to the hospital.

Comment from: duncs, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

So I have angina, but I usually have a bad day when the temperature changes rapidly. Now I have had chest pain for 2 days and all the symptoms of angina, for which the doctors have been treating me for 13 years.

Chest Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your chest pain?
Chest Pain - Broken or Bruised Ribs Question: Was the cause of your chest pain broken or bruised ribs? Please share your story.
Chest Pain - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams you received for your chest pain? What was the diagnosis?
Chest Pain - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chest pain.
Chest Pain - Angina and Heart Attack Question: Was angina the reason for your chest pain ? Please share your experience.