Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Comment from: Bobbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been experiencing pain in the upper chest and rapid heart beat. I have had this happen to me three times in the last week. I also feel like I am going to pass out. I also have been having pain in my right shoulder blade. I spent in the night in the hospital, and they had me on a heart monitor, along with running an EKG, echo, blood, and stress tests. They have not found anything. They said that I have scarring on my lungs and that I have an abnormal heart beat. I have been having night sweats and shortness of breath. They are putting an event monitor on me, but I feel as if I need to have a CT scan on my lungs and heart. I am usually very active, and I have no energy.

Comment from: LWells0402, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I have a severe chest pain when I first wake up. It decreases slightly as I move about. Also, I have shortness of breath and a lot of burping. My blood pressure is nearly perfect. My EKG was fine, and my doctor said everything sounded good. The pain stays with me all day but lessens later in the day and early evening. I took the seven-day methylprednisolone, and it did not seem to help.

Comment from: Earle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 19

From time to time, I have a fast heartbeat, at which time my chest hurts. That is the way I know my heart is beating fast. Today, it was 126, later 132, then 143 and about eight hours later, it was back to 73. I was not doing anything that would make my heart do that. I have worn a monitor for 24 hours and then 30 days. I have also had an echocardiogram. The doctors do not know what causes it, but it is scary.

Comment from: Taryth, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

My chest pain occurs on an abnormal basis, at seemingly random times. I am a 20 year old male, 5 10 130 lbs. I consider myself to be reasonably fit; I bicycle regularly. The thing is, my heart, for no reason, sometimes will begin beating either erratically, or very forcefully (by erratically I mean I can put my hand on my chest and FEEL it beating out of order and very fast). This happens throughout the day, and seems to have gotten worse this past year specifically. I don't remember this really being a noticeable, daily thing from before 19ish. The pain associated this is almost as if someone is grabbing my heart/the area around it. The pain persists for long periods of time.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I recently had a heart attack. Only symptom was burning in both lungs like when you go jogging on a cold day. This only happened when I had modest elevated activity. It went away if I closed my mouth and added moisture to my mouth. I thought I had bronchitis. I had the symptoms for a month. I went to the doctors, they took a blood test and found a miniscule amount of the blood "marker" (0.08 troponin). Stress test and echocardiogram were negative. An experienced cardiologist said "pain during activity is cardio. " 1-1/2 hours later I had a stint in place of a 95% heart artery blockage. No heart damage, in fact I regained 30% more heart muscle than I have had in years. Back at work the next day.

Comment from: Bridget, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am a 32 year old black female who has been having severe mid-chest pains on a regular monthly basis for the last two to three years. I have seen internists, gynecologists and cardiologists, none of whom have been able to explain the cause of these pains. The time of month when the pains occur are approximately midway between my periods.

Comment from: need to know, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was recently hospitalized for severe chest pain with shortness of breath (like something was sitting on my chest then acute pain from left breast bone through shoulder blade), also heart cath was done. At first the doctor thought it was a blockage during the procedure gave the nurse to inject the medicine into IV. Nitro solution did dilate my artery. I haven't got any clear answers. I have had all studies done such as stress test, 2d echo, heart cath, egd, gallbladder studies and esophogram. Everything was fine. I am not depressed nor stress out. On my Echo report it did indicate mild Mitral regurgitation.

Chest Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your chest pain?
Chest Pain - Broken or Bruised Ribs Question: Was the cause of your chest pain broken or bruised ribs? Please share your story.
Chest Pain - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams you received for your chest pain? What was the diagnosis?
Chest Pain - Pneumothorax Question: If the cause of your chest pain was pneumothorax, please discuss the tests, diagnosis and treatment.
Chest Pain - Angina and Heart Attack Question: Was angina the reason for your chest pain ? Please share your experience.