Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Comment from: John Keith, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Walking upstairs, the pain lasted 5 minutes.

Comment from: Christine M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

My chest pain was caused by Takotsubo cardiomyopathy brought on by severe stress. Because I have a history of psychiatric problems, the pain was assumed to be a result of anxiety, and I was not assessed or given an ECG for three hours. Within minutes of having the ECG done, I was moved to Cardiac Care where I stayed for three days. I suffered a great deal of physical pain and discomfort and emotional trauma due to this lack of compassionate care.

Comment from: Cuthcavs79, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I wrestle, and the weird thing is that after practice I was fine. A few hours later, after doing work I guess with a bad posture, I started experience sharp chest pain and had a difficult time breathing and getting up and sitting down. I went to the doctor the next day, and they said it was costochondritis.

Comment from: reebok85, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 12

Well my husband who will be 40 this year fell over on a dirt bike which he has been riding since he was 5. Fell right over and landed on his elbow which naturally crushed into his left ribs. We figured broken ribs; no big deal. The pain was so unbearable he broke down and went to the doctor two days later. They said no broken or fractured ribs and sent him to the ER for ruptured spleen. Got CT scan and they said he was all fine just bruised. Well that was over a week ago and he feels just as bad as the first day. He said something was wrong. He has moving pain all the time, hard time breathing so he's back at the same ER for a second round. My only advice as a nurse to be: you know your body better than anyone else if you feel something's wrong trust that instinct. It could be the difference between life and death, and don't be afraid of a second opinion or third for that matter.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I already have a plate 2 rods and 8 screws in my L-4 and 5 where I fell off of our deck. Now I fell off my horse cart when the horse got scared, broke loose from the cart and took off. I in return fell off the right side, my right foot stuck in the spokes of the wheel and I twisted and hit the ground. My whole left arm and ribs hurt from breast to waist and it hurts to breathe deeply. I have had so many X-rays from my injury and kidney stones I am afraid to go to the doctor or hospital.

Comment from: Russ, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a heart attack, followed immediately with quintuple by-pass surgery. Due to complications identified as a stroke I required two and a half months of rehab. The wires holding my sternum together were in constant pain. A year after the surgery six of the wires were removed under general anesthesia. The keloid that has developed is painful to the touch. Additional pain radiates across both sides of my chest and is frequently accompanied by shortness of breath. My most recent EKG / stress test showed some irregularity. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms from surgery? My cardiologist simply says it is the result of the keloid and nothing can be done about it. My "Decision Coach" says it might be Angina.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I was in a head-on collision during a soccer game for our high school, and the opposition's shoulder ran into my ribs. It hurt like crazy, and I couldn't breathe. I thought I'd broken my ribs, but after a hospital visit the next day, I was told it was only a bruised chest wall. PS: on an unrelated note, I did NOT do the exercises prescribed (deep breathing, coughing, etc.) and developed pneumonia. I fully suggest listening to your doctor (I wish I had).

Chest Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your chest pain?
Chest Pain - Broken or Bruised Ribs Question: Was the cause of your chest pain broken or bruised ribs? Please share your story.
Chest Pain - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams you received for your chest pain? What was the diagnosis?
Chest Pain - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chest pain.
Chest Pain - Angina and Heart Attack Question: Was angina the reason for your chest pain ? Please share your experience.