Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Comment from: concerned, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I been having a pinching pain in my left side of my chest that only last a few seconds. Mostly when I change my posture. This has been going on for about a week along with heartburn an indigestion.

Comment from: Cupcake, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

Too hard of a massage in prone position. The massage therapist pressed too hard over the lateral posterior ribcage. I felt a sharp pinch and twist. It has been sore for 5 days.

Comment from: Lena, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am a senior woman, but have low cholesterol and normal blood pressure. My blood tests show a high HDL Count. I take a Pepcid A/C at bedtime because sometimes I awake with heartburn. I am prescribed meds for low thyroid which is now at a normal range. Last night I awoke with a pain in my chest. A tight heavy pain. I lay still and in about 1 0r 2 minutes it went away. I lay on my side then and dozed but was awakened with a pain in my right arm. When I moved the pain went immediately away.

Comment from: Russ, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a heart attack, followed immediately with quintuple by-pass surgery. Due to complications identified as a stroke I required two and a half months of rehab. The wires holding my sternum together were in constant pain. A year after the surgery six of the wires were removed under general anesthesia. The keloid that has developed is painful to the touch. Additional pain radiates across both sides of my chest and is frequently accompanied by shortness of breath. My most recent EKG / stress test showed some irregularity. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms from surgery? My cardiologist simply says it is the result of the keloid and nothing can be done about it. My "Decision Coach" says it might be Angina.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I was in a head-on collision during a soccer game for our high school, and the opposition's shoulder ran into my ribs. It hurt like crazy, and I couldn't breathe. I thought I'd broken my ribs, but after a hospital visit the next day, I was told it was only a bruised chest wall. PS: on an unrelated note, I did NOT do the exercises prescribed (deep breathing, coughing, etc.) and developed pneumonia. I fully suggest listening to your doctor (I wish I had).

Comment from: Rod, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 01

My chest pain occurs in an area no larger than a marble and is located approximately three inches left of the center of my chest and at least 1 or 2 inches inward. It lasts sometimes only two or three minutes and other times as long as two or three days. I was discharged from the government in 1980 because of it. I have had angiograms, EKGs, echocardiograms, and stress tests both chemical and physical since that time and as recent as three or four months ago. I have been hospitalized with it on three occasions and the results are always that nothing is wrong. I don't want any more hospital false alarms, but I am concerned that a more serious problem with my heart may occur. At this date, the pain has been off an on for the last three days, but with a new twist: The pain travels a thin route from the source to the left underarm and downward on the inside of arm as though following a vein.

Comment from: pooja, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Hi. I got TB on 22 Feb., 2009. I have completed my course for 6 months and still have problems like cough and chest pain.

Chest Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your chest pain?
Chest Pain - Broken or Bruised Ribs Question: Was the cause of your chest pain broken or bruised ribs? Please share your story.
Chest Pain - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams you received for your chest pain? What was the diagnosis?
Chest Pain - Pneumothorax Question: If the cause of your chest pain was pneumothorax, please discuss the tests, diagnosis and treatment.
Chest Pain - Angina and Heart Attack Question: Was angina the reason for your chest pain ? Please share your experience.