Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had pain in the left side of my chest near the center. I went to the ER, turned out to be costochondritis, an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs. Thought I was having a heart attack, so glad it's not my heart.

Comment from: happy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I had surgery recently and now I have quite a bit of swelling. My doctor is worried about blood clots.

Comment from: reebok85, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 12

Well my husband who will be 40 this year fell over on a dirt bike which he has been riding since he was 5. Fell right over and landed on his elbow which naturally crushed into his left ribs. We figured broken ribs; no big deal. The pain was so unbearable he broke down and went to the doctor two days later. They said no broken or fractured ribs and sent him to the ER for ruptured spleen. Got CT scan and they said he was all fine just bruised. Well that was over a week ago and he feels just as bad as the first day. He said something was wrong. He has moving pain all the time, hard time breathing so he's back at the same ER for a second round. My only advice as a nurse to be: you know your body better than anyone else if you feel something's wrong trust that instinct. It could be the difference between life and death, and don't be afraid of a second opinion or third for that matter.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I already have a plate 2 rods and 8 screws in my L-4 and 5 where I fell off of our deck. Now I fell off my horse cart when the horse got scared, broke loose from the cart and took off. I in return fell off the right side, my right foot stuck in the spokes of the wheel and I twisted and hit the ground. My whole left arm and ribs hurt from breast to waist and it hurts to breathe deeply. I have had so many X-rays from my injury and kidney stones I am afraid to go to the doctor or hospital.

Comment from: Russ, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a heart attack, followed immediately with quintuple by-pass surgery. Due to complications identified as a stroke I required two and a half months of rehab. The wires holding my sternum together were in constant pain. A year after the surgery six of the wires were removed under general anesthesia. The keloid that has developed is painful to the touch. Additional pain radiates across both sides of my chest and is frequently accompanied by shortness of breath. My most recent EKG / stress test showed some irregularity. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms from surgery? My cardiologist simply says it is the result of the keloid and nothing can be done about it. My "Decision Coach" says it might be Angina.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I was in a head-on collision during a soccer game for our high school, and the opposition's shoulder ran into my ribs. It hurt like crazy, and I couldn't breathe. I thought I'd broken my ribs, but after a hospital visit the next day, I was told it was only a bruised chest wall. PS: on an unrelated note, I did NOT do the exercises prescribed (deep breathing, coughing, etc.) and developed pneumonia. I fully suggest listening to your doctor (I wish I had).

Comment from: Rod, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 01

My chest pain occurs in an area no larger than a marble and is located approximately three inches left of the center of my chest and at least 1 or 2 inches inward. It lasts sometimes only two or three minutes and other times as long as two or three days. I was discharged from the government in 1980 because of it. I have had angiograms, EKGs, echocardiograms, and stress tests both chemical and physical since that time and as recent as three or four months ago. I have been hospitalized with it on three occasions and the results are always that nothing is wrong. I don't want any more hospital false alarms, but I am concerned that a more serious problem with my heart may occur. At this date, the pain has been off an on for the last three days, but with a new twist: The pain travels a thin route from the source to the left underarm and downward on the inside of arm as though following a vein.

Chest Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your chest pain?
Chest Pain - Broken or Bruised Ribs Question: Was the cause of your chest pain broken or bruised ribs? Please share your story.
Chest Pain - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests and exams you received for your chest pain? What was the diagnosis?
Chest Pain - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chest pain.
Chest Pain - Angina and Heart Attack Question: Was angina the reason for your chest pain ? Please share your experience.