Patient Comments: Chemotherapy - Experiences

What was your experience with chemotherapy?

Comment from: Roberta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a mastectomy on December 10th with 17 lymph nodes removed. Eight of those were also cancerous. I started my first chemotherapy on January 14 and now have developed the mouth sores, and extreme joint pain plus a sore throat. I was wondering if these symptoms will continue through my future chemotherapy treatments or if they will lessen or go away. The joint pain is really bad and though I'm not nauseous or anything like that, the mouth sores do prevent me from eating very large meals. I'm taking the pain medications given after surgery and also some Ibuprofen.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: June 09

It has been almost 5 years since I went through chemo treatments. It was a terrible time but I always tried to pick 1 good thing out with all the bad things that were happening. I lost my hair so I save money on shampoo. Nothing tasted good except chocolate, so I ate a lot of it! I spent a lot of my time away from work with my kids, grandchildren and family. I wrote a little book for my grandchildren called “What Happened to Grandma's Hair?” This experience has taught me and my family a lot about living each day and staying positive through it all. When you wake up each day, smile and give someone a hug.

Comment from: breat cancer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, aged 42, had 6 rounds of chemotherapy and 15 days of radiotherapy. Had every symptom you could think of and now left with damaged veins in left arm and lymphodema in right arm, also blurry vision, lack of energy and white tongue which causes me to feel sick and feel dehydrated all the time, would never go through the chemo again

Comment from: Lakshmi, 45-54 Female Published: January 27

I was diagnosed of breast cancer First stage in Sep, 09. Underwent lumpectomy and was advised of 4 cycles of chemotherapy. I was so annoyed of the side effects, but I have to face this as I desire to live long. Hair loss was very demotivating, nausea, tasteless tongue, blotting stomach, gastric, weakness are the side effects, but my Hb, Wbc and platelets used to improve very well after each cycle. Doctors said my body was able to tolerate the treatment well. I used to eat fruits like pomegranate, apple, banana, oranges, and tender coconut daily. I think that took care of constipation well after the first cycle. Wheat grass juice helps in improving the immunity, which I was taking. The worst days are over; now I am undergoing radiation therapy, hope to live a healthy life. Slowly my hair starts to grow now.

Comment from: Alac, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have had surgery, double mastectomy. Only one breast dx with cancer but wanted the other for done because of prophylactic reasons. Prior to the cancer dx I had multiple biopsies with out local anesthesia because I 'm allergic. That alone has been so painful. After surgery, immediately I hemorrhaged in the affected breast and had to go back in emergency for additional surgery. Then 1 week later my 3 year old hit me in my chest area unintentionally and I hemorrhaged in the unaffected side. I was left with a painful hematoma that no one wanted to touch and doctors insisted it would absorb on it's own. It has but was painful for a while. Now I am past my 2 chemo treatment with AC. I shaved my head which helped because I could not bear pulling my hair out. I' m losing hair elsewhere now, which is unnerving. I am tired a lot of the time but force myself to go to the gym and do whatever I can to maintain my emotional state and physical state. I can' t help but think positive and fight through all of the side effects chemo has. This soon will pass has been my motto as of lately. Going through this journey is not easy but what God has bestowed on those of us chosen. Be strong, head up and stand tall and walk proud, and appreciate the blessings of everyday life. I know I do now like I never have before.

Comment from: spartygirl121, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with stage II breast cancer in December. I'm currently receiving chemo (AC) and so far my side effects include extreme fatigue and loss of appetite for a few days, followed by being ravenously hungry. Thanks, steroids! Luckily, I haven't been too nauseated, but the Neulasta injection did make me pretty achy the first time I had it.

Chemotherapy - Coping With Side Effects Question: What chemotherapy side effects have you experienced? How do you cope with the side effects?
Cancer - Patient Experience Question: How was your chemotherapy administered? Were there any complications that resulted from the delivery method?