Patient Comments: Chemotherapy - Experiences

What was your experience with chemotherapy?

Comment from: Lakshmi, 45-54 Female Published: January 27

I was diagnosed of breast cancer First stage in Sep, 09. Underwent lumpectomy and was advised of 4 cycles of chemotherapy. I was so annoyed of the side effects, but I have to face this as I desire to live long. Hair loss was very demotivating, nausea, tasteless tongue, blotting stomach, gastric, weakness are the side effects, but my Hb, Wbc and platelets used to improve very well after each cycle. Doctors said my body was able to tolerate the treatment well. I used to eat fruits like pomegranate, apple, banana, oranges, and tender coconut daily. I think that took care of constipation well after the first cycle. Wheat grass juice helps in improving the immunity, which I was taking. The worst days are over; now I am undergoing radiation therapy, hope to live a healthy life. Slowly my hair starts to grow now.

Comment from: spartygirl121, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with stage II breast cancer in December. I'm currently receiving chemo (AC) and so far my side effects include extreme fatigue and loss of appetite for a few days, followed by being ravenously hungry. Thanks, steroids! Luckily, I haven't been too nauseated, but the Neulasta injection did make me pretty achy the first time I had it.

Comment from: musiclover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had acute myeloid leukemia and I had chemotherapy (3 drugs). One drug affected my heart and I couldn't have that again. Another drug affected my brain, and I had to learn to walk, talk, and write again. I have balance and speaking problems, but the chemotherapy killed the cancer. I wasn't able to have the full treatment, but I am still alive 3 years later. I was allergic to the chemotherapy drugs, and will never work again.

Comment from: Rosie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with HER-2 breast cancer and received Taxotere carboplatin and Herceptin. I had five rounds of chemo and a year of Herceptin, last one on May 7th. I had side effects from the chemo, flu symptoms, loss of hair, loss of taste and smell, blurry vision. I finished chemo 8 months ago and feel fine, I am not 100% but getting there. I am not on Tamoxifen and I think it is slowing the growth of my hair, and having hard time keeping my weight down. Has anyone experienced soreness on the scalp....kind of like having ingrowing hair, but there is not redness or any signs of.

Comment from: Cancer fighter, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I had tongue cancer and took 36 sessions of radiation and three sessions of Chem (Cysblatin) at the same time. I was sick to my stomach for 6 weeks, throwing up every morning at the least usually more and that was with Zofran. Didn't touch the cancer so I have now had surgery on my neck and I am learning to eat again. Lost 30 pounds and now I have anoprothy in my feet and hands and have to go on anti-seizer medicine to control it. Wish I had known of all the side effects before taking Chemo.

Chemotherapy - Coping With Side Effects Question: What chemotherapy side effects have you experienced? How do you cope with the side effects?
Cancer - Patient Experience Question: How was your chemotherapy administered? Were there any complications that resulted from the delivery method?