Patient Comments: Cancer - Patient Experience

How was your chemotherapy administered? Were there any complications that resulted from the delivery method?

Comment from: Twanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have stage 4 colon cancer and currently undergoing chemotherapy treatments. I underwent surgery to insert a portal. It has been nothing but pain; at the time of surgery I weighed 95 pounds and they advised me that it could rub on my bone. Because of the location of the device, my bra and certain clothing pinches the sensitive area. Wearing a seat beat is impossible without a pillow or washcloth. After my treatments, I was given a pump to wear for two days. The only two issues with the pump is having to carry it around and answer well-meaning questions from strangers and when the alarm goes off it scares my dog.

Comment from: Cynthia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have breast cancer that has spread to some lymph nodes under my arm, and behind my liver. I have received three rounds of chemotherapy. Round one, I was sick for four days, terrible leg pain, no taste, no smell, no appetite, and total exhaustion. Round two I lost all of my hair, still very tired, finger nails discolored, I get tired walking short distance, and my red blood count is dropping. After a week I started to feel better. Round three yesterday; I will see how I feel.

Comment from: Kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

In May I had surgery for ovarian cancer, ovaries and 7 cm tumor removed, and also had 18 inches of my intestines removed because of an additional tumor. Before surgery I consulted with 2 doctors and chose the one that wanted to do surgery first. Now that I am two thirds of the way through chemotherapy I am very glad I made this decision as recovery from surgery would have been much harder now that I am weaker and have a depleted immune system. I now work only 2 days a week instead of three and when I need help I ask. I lost all the hair on my body and bought a wig. At least I no longer have to shave my legs. I do have side effects, nausea, fatigue and loss of taste, but nothing I can't deal with. One tip I had from a nurse before I started this journey was to have my teeth cleaned, even though I do that regularly. I believe this has helped prevent mouth problems.

Comment from: CANCER_GONE, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

I was diagnosed in January 2013 with stage 3 N1 colorectal cancer. I had a port installed in my chest and received 35 days chemotherapy (5 FU), and 28 radiation treatments by the end of April. I then had a mid-lap surgery with an ileostomy over the Memorial Day weekend. I carried that for 2 1/2 months and had it 'taken-down' first week of August. By Labor Day weekend I had started round 2 of chemotherapy. This time I had treatments at 2 week intervals with 3 drugs (oxaliplatin, leucovorin and 5FU SP). This went on for 6 months at 2 week intervals. The first round of chemotherapy I had minimal effects from the chemotherapy but during the second round, I have had neuropathy in my feet/hands and a total of 40 lb. weight loss.

Comment from: Kathleen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had breast cancer three years ago In June. I"m still in and out of bed because I have so much pain in my lower back, hips, legs and feet. I feel like I"m walking on my bones with no padding. I have no energy and hot sweats that drain my energy. I didn"t know about this when I was told to have chemotherapy. I relate to you all in pain and feel for you. People say you look good but if only they knew how I felt.

Chemotherapy - Coping With Side Effects Question: What chemotherapy side effects have you experienced? How do you cope with the side effects?
Chemotherapy - Experiences Question: What was your experience with chemotherapy?