Patient Comments: Cancer - Patient Experience

How was your chemotherapy administered? Were there any complications that resulted from the delivery method?

Comment from: Twanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have stage 4 colon cancer and currently undergoing chemotherapy treatments. I underwent surgery to insert a portal. It has been nothing but pain; at the time of surgery I weighed 95 pounds and they advised me that it could rub on my bone. Because of the location of the device, my bra and certain clothing pinches the sensitive area. Wearing a seat beat is impossible without a pillow or washcloth. After my treatments, I was given a pump to wear for two days. The only two issues with the pump is having to carry it around and answer well-meaning questions from strangers and when the alarm goes off it scares my dog.

Comment from: CANCER_GONE, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

I was diagnosed in January 2013 with stage 3 N1 colorectal cancer. I had a port installed in my chest and received 35 days chemotherapy (5 FU), and 28 radiation treatments by the end of April. I then had a mid-lap surgery with an ileostomy over the Memorial Day weekend. I carried that for 2 1/2 months and had it 'taken-down' first week of August. By Labor Day weekend I had started round 2 of chemotherapy. This time I had treatments at 2 week intervals with 3 drugs (oxaliplatin, leucovorin and 5FU SP). This went on for 6 months at 2 week intervals. The first round of chemotherapy I had minimal effects from the chemotherapy but during the second round, I have had neuropathy in my feet/hands and a total of 40 lb. weight loss.

Comment from: Kathleen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had breast cancer three years ago In June. I"m still in and out of bed because I have so much pain in my lower back, hips, legs and feet. I feel like I"m walking on my bones with no padding. I have no energy and hot sweats that drain my energy. I didn"t know about this when I was told to have chemotherapy. I relate to you all in pain and feel for you. People say you look good but if only they knew how I felt.

Chemotherapy - Coping With Side Effects Question: What chemotherapy side effects have you experienced? How do you cope with the side effects?
Chemotherapy - Experiences Question: What was your experience with chemotherapy?