Patient Comments: Chemotherapy - Coping With Side Effects

What chemotherapy side effects have you experienced? How do you cope with the side effects?

Comment from: Rln, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I just finished my second round of port delivered chemo and my side effects have been quite minimal. I am losing my hair and fatigued but really has not been too bad. I have small cell lung cancer, stage 2 B.

Comment from: S VanHorn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I will be taking my 5th chemotherapy treatment for stage 2 breast cancer. I've had few side effects, except for extreme tenderness on the bottom of my feet, which turned to blisters, and my hands and feet both peeled, the feet being much worse. I've just noticed some discoloration under my fingernails, and it is consistent on each nail as far as coloring. I hope it will go away once I'm done with chemotherapy.

Comment from: Scott, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I'm on my 10th chemotherapy tomorrow, I have bowel and secondary liver cancer at stage 4. I have a wife and two small boys under 10 years of age, it's been a living nightmare, a real rollercoaster. After chemotherapy I'm always spaced out. I have memory loss, clumsiness, tiredness and I don't want to socialize, just want to be with family, so I just relax at home after chemotherapy. I am too tired to do much. I just have to keep going. It's not been nice though, I had an acne like rash over my face and neck for three weeks. Now it's on my chest and back; a side effect. My fingers have open sores which hurt, another side effect. And I have itchy skin.

Comment from: Ziggy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last September and I had 6 rounds of chemotherapy. I had an allergic reaction to the taxol on the 2nd round, I actually thought I was going to die then. Next round it happened again so they stopped it and just gave me the carboplatin. I would say I had all the side effects. I was told they wouldn't be so bad with just the carboplatin. Well, I'd hate to imagine what it would have been like if I was having both. My last chemotherapy was on the 12th February. I was starting to get back on my feet. Last week I started getting terrible pain in my arms and legs; I really did not expect this. Oh, says the oncologist, it's a side effect of your chemotherapy. I feel I'm now back to square one, I can't really go out unless there is someone with me. It seemed to her as if I'd cut my finger. This is my life that's gone back to being awful. I wouldn't have chemotherapy again, it keeps you alive. In my case it won't cure me I'm happy to let nature take its course.

Comment from: Darien2620, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I turned 73 on June 16th this year. I had some shoulder pain which started a whole range of tests and I was finally diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Before I started any treatments a lump in the groin area in the crease of my leg popped up; skin cancer. I took 10 radiation treatments in both my shoulder and leg. My 1st chemotherapy was 2 weeks ago and my only side effect was the bones in my feet and legs felt like they were crushed and left me barely able to walk for 2 days before easing up. I get tired easier but a nice nap takes care of that. Second chemotherapy was the day before Thanksgiving. Water is the only thing that didn't taste right to me. I am going to get 10 more radiation treatments on the leg/groin area as it's not doing as well. The bend in the leg keeps it sore and it is hard to get up and down. I should be better soon.

Chemotherapy - Experiences Question: What was your experience with chemotherapy?
Cancer - Patient Experience Question: How was your chemotherapy administered? Were there any complications that resulted from the delivery method?