Patient Comments: TACE - Side Effects

Did you experience side effects from arterial chemotherapy? What were the side effects?

Comment from: bilmlbs, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I was diagnosed with hepatocellular carcinoma a few months ago. The tumor is now approximately 10 cm x 11 cm. I underwent my first TACE (transarterial chemoembolization) procedure on 8/11/2015 (300 microns injected into the breast). The first 4 or 5 days after the TACE I slept a lot; no nausea to speak of, but my thirst was almost overwhelming. Yes, I incurred a loss of appetite primarily because I was just too tired to eat, plus whatever I did attempt consuming just didn't taste good or right. It is now about 10 days after the procedure and I feel only 80 percent my normal self. I am still tired and lethargic, still sleep a lot. I did incur a low grade fever (99.2 to 100.9) for the 1st 5 days.

Comment from: fstones, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I had the arterial chemotherapy last Thursday and Friday. One day they implanted the chemotherapy wafer and the next day went in and burned the tumors with microwaves. I felt good on Saturday and they discharged me. By 6 p m that night I had a fever and had the pain shooting up into my shoulder. For the next two days I suffered so much. If I could have moved I might have jumped out the window. Monday they gave me different pain medications which helped a bit. Today is the first day I feel a bit better. Good luck to all of you out there going through this.

Comment from: Jeff, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 24

My husband had the chemoembolization done 6 days ago and continues to sleep 22 out of 24 hours. He did not drink more than a few sips for 2 days after and did not eat for 4 days. He lost 17 pounds in 4 days. He described searing, intense pain when the chemo was injected into the liver and contributed to his blood pressure going up to 210/146, and vomiting. He is improving each day and no longer has nausea or pain but continues to have extreme fatigue. They said he would have fatigue, pain and nausea a few days and would gradually get better so each day is improving for him.

Comment from: yelrose48, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My side effects from arterial chemotherapy are mild pain and nausea.

Arterial Chemotherapy Infusion & Chemoembolization of Liver Question: What was your cancer diagnosis that led doctors to chose chemoembolization of the liver as a chemotherapy method?