- Antiaging Tips & Secrets Slideshow Pictures
- Cosmetic Surgery Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Skin Quiz
- Patient Comments: Chemical Peel - Side Effects
- Find a local Dermatologist in your town
- Chemical peel facts
- What is a chemical peel?
- What are the different types of chemical peels?
- Are at-home or over-the-counter chemical peels as effective as professional chemical peels?
- Who is a good candidate for a chemical peel?
- Who should not get a chemical peel?
- What are the benefits of chemical peels?
- What are risks, side effects, and dangers of chemical peels?
- How are chemical peels performed?
- How does one prepare for a chemical peel?
- What sort of follow-up care is needed after a chemical peel?
Quick GuideCosmetic Procedures: Botox, Laser, Peels Before and After Photos
What sort of follow-up care is needed after a chemical peel?
The skin is especially sensitive after a chemical peel. It is essential to practice strict sun avoidance during and after the healing process. The skin may remain sun sensitive for some time after the peel. The frequency of post-op physician visits will depend upon the depth of the peel and the preferences of the physician.
Medically reviewed by Norman Levine, MD; American Board of Dermatology
Fischer, T.C., E. Perosino, F. Poli, M.S. Viera, and B. Dreno. "Chemical Peels in Aesthetic Dermatology: An Updated 2009." Journal of European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology 24 (2010): 281-292.