GENERIC NAME: vitexagnus castus
BRAND NAME: Chaste Tree, Chaste Berry, Vitex, Monk's Pepper
DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Chaste tree is shrub. The dried ripe fruit is used as a natural herbal supplement. Although exact mechanism is not known, Chaste tree presumably works by decreasing follicle-stimulating hormone release. Lowering of follicle-stimulating hormones increases progesterone-to-estrogen ratio, giving relief from menstrual and menopausal symptoms.
SIDE EFFECTS:Common side effects of Chaste tree are:
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
PREPARATIONS: Chaste tree is available in crude herb extract capsules, fluid extract, dried fruit extract, and tincture forms.
STORAGE: Due to many manufacturers producing each formulation, storage requirements may vary based individual product.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS): Take 4-20mg by mouth per day.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD): Take 20-40mg by mouth per day.
- Crude herb extract: Take 20-240mg by mouth per day, divided in 2 to 3 doses.
- Fluid extract: Take up to 40 drops by mouth per day.
- Dried fruit extract: Take 1.6-3ml by mouth up to two times a day.
- Tincture: Take 35-45 drops by mouth up to three times a day.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.