Patient Comments: Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease - Treatment

What types of treatment have you received for Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease?

Comment from: Nicho48, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) disease all my life. I have had surgery on my feet, claw toes triple arthrodesis at age 25. No one picked up on CMT despite the limp and foot drop, not until I was 50. I have been a chef all my working life, worst feet for worst job, fortunately my CMT is slow moving but am noticing effects at 65.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Crystal, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 28

I am a mother of 4. My 9 year old Troy was diagnosed with CMT (Charcot-Marie-Tooth) 6 months ago. He walks on his tip toes and has stabbing pains in his feet. He already has nerve damage in his hand and legs. He has to wear leg braces at night to stretch his muscles and every year he has to get casted for a mold to wear on his legs.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I was diagnosed with CMT 6 months ago. I have had increasing symptoms for years and finally foot deformities caused me to see a foot doctor, who referred me to a neurologist for a specific diagnosis. He put me on Gabepentin for the stabbing pain in my feet and calves.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease?
Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease - Type Question: What type of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease do you have, and how has it affected you?
Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease - Experience Question: Please share your experience with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors