Patient Comments: Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease - Type

What type of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease do you have, and how has it affected you?

Comment from: Beating It Melissa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I was diagnosed finally at the age of 16. Charcot-Marie-Tooth was not a well-known disease for many years. I am now 48 and I have a 21 year old daughter who is also afflicted with it, and my oldest boy appears to have a few symptoms especially in the feet deformity, but not as obvious as my daughter and my symptoms. We work out, stretch, ride bikes and I wear braces for my foot drop, which I started wearing when I was 32 years old. I wear light weight shoes, with my braces; it must not have a heel. I walk better when my foot is flat on the floor (at least as flat as I am able). The braces and light weight shoes have helped me tremendously and I suggest it as well as going to the gym 3 times a week to stretch and work out, it keeps me strong and steady. It really helps. Just don't give up or stop.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: LaRee Taylor, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

My daughter was diagnosed with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease as a teenager. She's now 54 years old and uses a walker but is now having severe problems with leg weakness and balance. Her use of hands is also very limited. We were told at the time of her diagnosis that the problem was hereditary and that I was probably the carrier. Now at age 82 I (her mother) am experiencing gait and balance problems and am wondering if I have a milder, later onset of the same disease.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Sherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I am currently being tested for Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) disease. I have the Charcot foot. I know that I do not have type 1. I get severe jabbing pains in my toes, and I also get spasms in my feet (both), and my lower legs. My hands are very weak too and very painful.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: DiamondDeb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am sure I have Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and my lower legs are wasting, and the tendon is tightening. I have balance issues and neuropathy on feet and fingertips, very high arch. I can't get any doctor to listen and I see the same in my family to varying degrees. Mine began at 43 in left foot, then to right foot at 45, and to fingers. I have to use scissors to open everything and if I bend over I lose my balance. The right tests have not been done and now my 26 year old son is showing signs.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: slhell, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I broke my right foot while in the army. Since then I have had a problem with my right foot. I went to the doctor after years of continuous problem with my foot and after many tests I was found to have Charcot. I did have a bone infection diagnosed prior to finding out about Charcot. I believe the injury to my foot started the problem.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Phil mawby, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) disease for about thirty years. As there is no cure I, like all other sufferers, have learnt to live with it but sometimes it can be a struggle because of the constant pain when walking, which I cannot do much of.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease?
Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment have you received for Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease?
Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease - Experience Question: Please share your experience with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors