Patient Comments: Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease?

Comment from: Prdmomof3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had signs and symptoms of Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) disease since I was about 6 years old (I am now 47), but was not officially diagnosed until I was 36. It was when I had been involved in an auto accident and was literally being wheeled into surgery that my orthopedic surgeon knew what I had. While I have seen many doctors I have found my limitations through the years (for the most part); and while my balance is off, I can"t use my hands like most and fall occasionally. Until this past year it"s just always been something that was aggravating but tolerable. I have noticed things are getting worse, but I"m fighting it every day.

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

My toes look deformed. I have gait problems. I trip. I have balance issues. I have stabbing pain in my feet. I have no reflex activity below the knees so when I get pain from a stubbed toe or something similar, it is very delayed.

Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease - Type Question: What type of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease do you have, and how has it affected you?
Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease - Treatment Question: What types of treatment have you received for Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease?