Patient Comments: Chalazion - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your chalazion?

Comment from: WannabeDR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

The lump in my eyelid grew over about a 5 month span. II was anxious about ridding myself of this large lump on my eye (month 4), but after 3 doctors' visits, I made peace with the fact that no one wanted to perform surgery. I had to aggressively treat my eye with warm water. It takes a lot of patience but 3 times a day, I sat down with a very hot cup of water (I let it boil and cool down a bit), a clean rag, and a plate of sea salt. The latter, I got from my Jamaican family--regular salt doesn't work. I dip the rag in the hot water, ring out the excess water. It's so hot I use my fingertips to ring it. Then I dip the rag in the salt and stick it on my eye. It's really improved and is almost gone now. Don't be afraid, my eye doctor told me, to rub the rag around and break up the fluid inside the lump. Good luck!

Comment from: suresh, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

One day I was sanding timber to re-paint, using a circular sander. The next day I noticed my eye lid was swollen and it was paining on the upper eye lid. I went to eye specialist. He said it was a meibomian cyst on my glands and asked me to apply warm pressing for a week. I have been doing it for last 5 days and it doesn't seems to be going away. My eye is really irritating when reading. If it doesn't get better in a week, I think I will ask my specialist to remove the cyst surgically.

Comment from: justapatient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had a huge painful chalazion in the middle of my upper lid near the lash line. It was sitting heavy on my eye itself. It grew out of nowhere and got large in less than a week. Tried all these remedies but to no avail. Had to go to an Ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) to have it removed. The doctor said it just happens. Procedure (itself wasn't painful) was done in less than 15 minutes.

Comment from: Sassie7385, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I had a chalazion several years ago. I had to have surgery on it. The surgery was done in the office, it took about 5 minutes. One snip and it was gone. It was on the top of my eyelid. I now have another one, on my lower lid, and it's sore. I guess I will try the home stuff and see if that takes care of it and if that does not work, back to the eye doctor!

Chalazion - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your chalazion?