Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: sonsheria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia twice now. The first time was about 10 or 11 years ago and they froze the cells and now I have tested positive for it again and they are going to cut the part that has the cells on my cervix off. I have noticed that I cramp even when I am not on my period and I was wondering if any of you that have had it cramped a lot too. I feel like it is a sign that something is wrong so I went to the gynecologist for a checkup and this is what they found again.

Comment from: girlie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

When I was 16 I was told by my doctor I had cervical dysplasia. They sent me for a biopsy right after because of the severity and I went in for laser surgery 2 weeks later. I"m now 27 years old and pregnant with my first child. No problems thus far but worried because I just read it can cause preterm labor.

Comment from: Julia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 27 years old, and I have been diagnosed with severe dysplasia. I had been told before, during and after my pregnancy that there were a few abnormal cells on my cervix but nothing for me to be worried about. I then went two years without having a PAP smear (not having a doctor, and having a small child can keep your mind off of these things). I am going in tomorrow to have the cells lasered off, and I am terrified. They did the biopsy and told me that there would be no pain involved! Boy were they ever wrong!!! I hurt like crazy for the rest of the day. My husband seems to be entertaining the idea that I've cheated on him (which I have NOT) because this was caused by this HPV. I'm worried, embarrassed, and unsure as to the future possibility of having another child. I've read some of the other comments on here, about hysterectomies, and I know my mother had to have one, albeit for different reasons, but still. Wish me luck, and for Pete's sake, get your PAP smears done, on schedule!!!! Save yourself some of the emotional upheaval that some of us have had to go through.

Comment from: ds77, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I am a 50-year-old female. I contracted a mild-to-moderate case of cervical dysplasia when I was 23 years old. I had laser surgery. I got married and had three children. When I turned 36, it came back severe with CIN2. I had a LEEP procedure. When I turned 43, I developed severe bleeding and was diagnosed with HPV with the deadliest cancer-causing strain. A uterine ablation was performed but ultimately failed. My gynecologist prescribed additional testing and found tumors and fibroids. My radical hysterectomy came at the age of 46. I strongly recommend being an advocate for your health and wellness. I lost a friend at the age of 31 to cervical cancer because she could not find a doctor that would take a radical move to cure her. After, she passed, her oncologist also died. Seek treatment and second opinions; it just might save your life. I know first-hand, and I am grateful that I did. I am doing quite well.

Comment from: 1976luckyme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Having had both my knees replaced by my 45th birthday, I had a premonition that one day the hips would be replaced as well. I was fortunate to benefit from Title IX while in high school, and playing 4 sports a year, volleyball, basketball, track and field, and cheerleading; and I am aware now that girls should be trained differently than boys, but that was not the case in the 70s. I place no blame, athletics served me well, 5 C-sections were a breeze. But this hip pain is scaring me and the locking and sizzling I feel in my top hip/thigh area is quite disconcerting!

Comment from: liss305, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had cervical dysplasia for 4 to 5 years. I am in the doctor"s office every 6 months for monitoring. It has been pretty stable, thank goodness.

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?