Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: Candice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had cervical dysplasia when I was in my early twenties, 21 or 22 I think. I had an abnormal Pap and then a colposcopy and had a 2 to 3 level dysplasia. I had cold laser or cryotherapy and had no problems. They took the top layer off of my cervix to remove the lesion and then some. I have had no abnormal Pap smears or issues since. I am 48.

Comment from: Donna2711, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I returned an abnormal Pap smear which resulted in a diagnosis of CIN3 cells (cervical dysplasia - one step away from cancer). I had laser surgery on my cervix to remove and a follow up Pap smear 6 months later gave good results. I have however had a headache for the 3 days leading up to my period every month since.

Comment from: upsetsufferer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I just underwent a LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure) for severe dysplasia roughly two weeks ago. In the past, I have had a molar pregnancy and abnormal/irregular menstrual cycles. I go nearly sixty days without one most of the time. Sometimes longer. I've had my first and probably only child in the past year (she has just turned one) and prior to having her, I had no issues from the time of my molar pregnancy with the subsequent D&C until now. I'm desperate to know if there is a connection between my molar pregnancy a decade ago and my current issue with cervical dysplasia. I'm due to see my gynecologist this morning but my period seems to have started sometime during my post-LEEP spotting and so I don't know if she can do her job just yet to follow up. This entire situation has massively impacted my relationship with my husband. I don't even want to let him touch me now once we get the all clear for sexual activity again. I feel nervous kissing my child as well. This entire situation has made me feel disgusting and low and that is in no small part thanks to the doctor who handled my colposcopy and biopsy (not my usual gynecologist). I'm miserable and I don't know how to express this to friends without telling them too much. It's extremely isolating. I feel very alone.

Comment from: chacha003, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am 26 years old and have been getting abnormal Paps for the past 7 years. HPV (human papilloma virus) was detected and with routine Paps was manageable. I have had colposcopy biopsies, I would say 4 times. Cervical dysplasia was detected last year and my doctor performed the LEEP to get rid of any abnormal cells. I was told 95% of women who undergo the LEEP do not get dysplasia again I did! Apparently that is a big red flag for any gynecologist because according to this final colposcopy if dysplasia is detected again I will have to have a hysterectomy. I am beyond scared. Luckily I have my 3 children and my supportive husband with me every step of the way. I would take this a lot harder if I planned on having more children but that was not my case, I had tubal ligation after my third child in October 2012. I wonder if cervical cancer is hereditary. My Aunts, 4 out of 6 had hysterectomies for early signs of cervical cancer as well.

Comment from: sonsheria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia twice now. The first time was about 10 or 11 years ago and they froze the cells and now I have tested positive for it again and they are going to cut the part that has the cells on my cervix off. I have noticed that I cramp even when I am not on my period and I was wondering if any of you that have had it cramped a lot too. I feel like it is a sign that something is wrong so I went to the gynecologist for a checkup and this is what they found again.

Comment from: 1976luckyme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Having had both my knees replaced by my 45th birthday, I had a premonition that one day the hips would be replaced as well. I was fortunate to benefit from Title IX while in high school, and playing 4 sports a year, volleyball, basketball, track and field, and cheerleading; and I am aware now that girls should be trained differently than boys, but that was not the case in the 70s. I place no blame, athletics served me well, 5 C-sections were a breeze. But this hip pain is scaring me and the locking and sizzling I feel in my top hip/thigh area is quite disconcerting!

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?