Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: Grimmy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

In 2001, at 39 years old, my first PAP smear in 10 years came back abnormal. A colonoscopy and then a cone biopsy diagnosed carcinoma-in-situ. I had PAP smears every 3 months for a year or so, then every 6 months, then back to once a year. I had very heavy periods after that, and began going through perimenopause. I began having extended periods of bleeding, and in 2008 a uterine biopsy showed endometrial hyperplasia that resolved itself. My periods stopped in August of 2009, then my doctor started me on hormones in January of this year. Now I have been bleeding for two solid months, can feel that my uterus is enlarged, and am about to go back to the doctor. I wonder if this is all somehow related and HOW it's related. I asked two different doctors about my cancer, asked them if they had tested me for HPV, and they said they had and that it was negative.

Comment from: desperate women, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I just knew that I have severe dysplasia (CIN 3). I was so worried. Just had colonoscopy the other day and still waiting for biopsy results. As I recall my previous OBGYN told me not to worry about dysplasia since it can be cured by antibiotics, then she provided me fertility drugs since I'm having hard time getting pregnant but after few months I'm having discomfort that leads to excruciating pain after sex and found out that I was having cervical polyps. I felt so devastated so I seek for another OBGYN this time a specialist for infertility, she explained to me and helped me understand about "Severe Dysplasia," now, I'm so worried because I'm longing to have a baby but I'm having dysplasia.

Comment from: nsg86, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

In 2005 I had an abnormal pap smear, I had the biopsy done and my doctor did the LEEP procedure. Whet every 3 months for pap smears for a year everything was fine. Went back to once a year. For 5 years I have had normal pap smears. This March I had an abnormal pap smear again. Just had another biopsy today. My doctor says I might have to have laser ablation but she won't know for sure till she gets my results of my biopsy next week and sees what stage these pre cancer cells are. I am getting married in 5 months, and I want to start a family. I am scared out of my mind. 5 years ago when this all started my doctor didn't think these cells would come back and now they have.

Comment from: dapinkprincess, 19-24 Female Published: April 06

I'm 23 years old, and on April 2, 2010 (Friday). I went to the doctor for my results to my biopsy and I just found out that I have CIN 2 also known as (cervical dysplasia) and the doctor said that they have to freeze (kill) my cells and I'm pretty scared about that. I'm waiting to see if my insurance covers it, so I can do it fast. I'm really scared because when I got the biopsy they said it doesn't hurt but it did. I was in pain for more than a day. I did some research and it says that it can also come back after it's taken care of. I'm really scared, people.

Comment from: kychick, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am nineteen years old and today 02-17-10 found out that I had a mild case of Dysplasia. My doc told me that everything would be okay and to not worry about it, but this problem runs in my family. My mother had severe dysplasia three times before having a complete hysterectomy. My cousin who is only a few years older than me has had it 4 times. My doctor wanted me to come back in a year to make sure everything was back to normal. Well I wasn't going to take that route so I called another gynecologist and made an appointment for next week and will hopefully get some good news.

Comment from: AH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was first diagnosed with CIN III in 1997 and underwent cryosurgery. Pap smears following were all normal until six years later: in 2003 I again had an abnormal PAP and then a biopsy showing CIN III. This time I underwent a LEEP; pathology showed a clean removal with no abnormalities in surrounding tissue. At that time testing showed me positive for HPV 16 and 18, two of the types likely to cause cancer. Just recently my PAP came back as abnormal with possibly some viral DNA. Colposcopy and biopsy again returned with CIN III. This time both my physician and I are leaning towards a hysterectomy; her research shows that the dysplasia returns 20% of the time after a cone with clear vaginal margins, and that recurrence is 3 times more likely after the age of 50 since I fit into both of those categories.categories ...

Comment from: debdtexas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

In 1984, I was 29 years old and the only symptom I was having was dryness during intercourse. I had my yearly pap tests which always were normal. When I told my gynecologist about the dryness all I got was a smart comment about foreplay. The smear came back stage III severe dysplasia. Cryocautery was performed and 4 months later another smear returned abnormal. Then Conization was done as out-patient surgery, the biopsy showed that the cells had spread into the opening of the uterus. I was scheduled for hysterectomy a few months later. Since I was only 29, recently divorced. I was given the choice to either have a hysterectomy or get pregnant and possibly have to have an abortion if the cells progressed rapidly before the child was born. I had a 7 year old son at the time so I decided to have the surgery. Everything has been fine since then and there has been no recurrence during the past 25 years.

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?