Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: 27confused, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am 27 and found out 3 weeks ago that I had high risk dysplasia. I had the peep procedure and just heard back this week that my margins are positive and I still have high risk cells on my fervid. My doc said he will see me in 6 months for another lap. I'm worried that something should be done now and not wait 6 months.

Comment from: bethm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am 45 with normal paps all my life. I just underwent a hysterectomy and much to my doctor's surprise, CIN3 which had to be sent to a special lab to ensure there was no cancer. Get the paps, but know they are not everything and take care with your body. Even my doctor had to say, this goes to show the failures of modern medicine.

Comment from: Concerned, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am 30 years old and 2 years ago I had an abnormal pap smear so I had a colposcopy done and the results were CIN 1. So my doctor told me to wait a year and they would do another test to see if it cleared up on its own. I had another abnormal pap and had the colposcopy done again and again it came back with CIN 1. My doctor is telling me to wait another year to see if it clears up on its own but I want to know what my other options are. I have tested positive for HPV for the past 4 years and now the last 2 years I have CIN 1. Cancer runs strong on both sides of my family. I am trying to have children with my husband right now and we are having difficulties getting pregnant.

Comment from: lizzylou0124, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I was diagnosed at 23 with HPV, I am now 24. I have no idea how long I've had this since I had a very unfaithful "boyfriend." It isn't severe and I assume it isn't something I can blow off because it hasn't gone away yet. I had Guardasil shots but I'm also assuming those haven't worked, that I have a different strand. I have PAP smears every 6 months, I've had one colpo and my next one is in January. The more I read about this, the more I worry about what will happen. Will I get cancer? Do I need to seek another doctor's opinion? Do I need to call my own OBGYN and ask more questions, and if so what questions? My biggest fear is being unable to have children. I just want to make sure my doctor's are giving me all my options before more damage is done.

Comment from: moosey22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

Hello, I'm a 22 year old female and I was just diagnosed with severe cervical dysplasia. I have had both a colonoscopy and a Leep done. I am terrified that this is going to hurt my chances of having kids. Just recently I have been having terrible pain after and during intercourse in my cervix. It's gotten so bad that I can't even have sex with my boyfriend and I'm scared that he may end up finding sex from somewhere else! I am also scared that I may not be able to even try to have kids due to the extreme pain it causes!! This has been a terrible experience! I advise everyone to get there paps done yearly and get an HPV shot! I have had the shots and have had a pap done every year religiously since I was 18. So please get checked this sometimes isn't seen right away!! If I went any longer without treatment I would have cancer instead of just dysplasia!! Good luck to all; please get informed.

Published: November 15

I am 28 I recently was diagnosed with high grade cervical cancer. I have delivered 5 children all vaginally, children between the ages of 11 and 11 months. I had an abnormal pap after the birth of my first child I was told it was PID. My partner and I were both given antibiotics, at the time we were not married and did not live together. I took my medicine but I am unsure if he took his. All my other children were delivered via military care. How could this have not been detected at a milder degree? I have been pregnant every 2 years for the past 6 years, so my son is almost 1. The last pap smear was at the beginning of my last pregnancy. Now I am scared to death I have the beginning stages of cervical cancer and will have to undergo a hysterectomy. We also wanted more children, at this point I am unsure if that is safe for my situation. I am going into the doctor next week to undergo more testing.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was diagnosed with HPV in 2000. I was 18 years old. I had the cryotherapy procedure done and was told that there was a 90% chance that this would not return. Well, ten years later (after having my son in 2005) it has returned. My doctor called me yesterday to inform me that they would need to scrape the outer layer of the cervix to remove the moderate displaysia, however it is going to cost me around $500.00 even WITH insurance. My plea goes out to all women and girls to have the Gardasil vaccination ASAP! Tell your mothers, daughters, friends, neighbors, or even co-workers to get the vaccination and have regular pap smears to prevent being in this very scary situation.

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?