Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: k78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have been dealing with severe cervical dysplasia for about 3 years now. I'm 30 years old. I have had many colposcopies and one LEEP and a cervical canonization (forgive my spelling). I have dealt with HPV since I was 16. They gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way. I had gone back to the doctors when I started to bleed everyday except for one or two days here and there. They put me on the Depo Provera shot and again, sent me on my way. I didn't hear anymore about it until 3 years ago. I was working and ended up hemorrhaging. I went to the ER and they put me on an IV and did ultrasounds and blood work then, sent me on my way with my doctor's number. I have a very nasty strain of HPV. I cannot have the full hysterectomy that I thought would get rid of it because this strain will attack the vagina if it doesn't have anything else to attack. I have had very many colposcopies, a LEEP, and a cervical canonization. My last appointment came back abnormal (surprise, surprise) but, while I was there, they did an ultrasound and apparently my left ovary decided to move next to my bladder. I have no idea why. My whole point of telling people about this is so that maybe, just maybe, someone could be helped with this. I got this strain of HPV by a very unfaithful boyfriend. Use condoms each and everytime you have sex, or don't have sex. That's the only way to prevent going through this hell. You can't tell that anyone is a carrier of this disease by just looking at them, get tested, use condoms, don't have sex until you are married and make sure the person you are marrying has done the same.

Comment from: liss305, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had cervical dysplasia for 4 to 5 years. I am in the doctor"s office every 6 months for monitoring. It has been pretty stable, thank goodness.

Comment from: SoConfused, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Hello, I am 28 years old and at the beginning of this year I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia and was a stage 2. I just went back for my check up today and had to have another biopsy because my doctor found some tissues. I am very scared. I am very confused because when I asked her if this was caused from a sexually transmitted disease she said no, that I didn't have any. I then read on a site that everyone associates cervical dysplasia with HPV. Also, it says it can be caused by sexual activity before 18 and I was sexually assaulted from three until I was eight. I am just wondering if anyone has any insight on this, and if it is caused from HPV? I am very confused and upset. I feel disgusting and I need answers.

Comment from: aaronsm0m, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I found out I had moderate cervical dysplasia when I was pregnant with my first child. So after I had my son I had a colposcopy and the doctor said it looked better and that I probably wouldn't need any treatment. Then I got a call from my gynecologist's office and her nurse said my biopsys came back as severe Dysplasia. So I scheduled my LEEP procedure.

Comment from: LeLe89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am 23 years old and six months ago during my annual pap smear I tested positive for HPV and mild dysplasia. I was devastated and I didn't understand what it all meant. I was extra discouraged because when at 18 I was vaccinated for some of the HPV strains. I have just visited my OBGYN again for my six month follow up to make sure everything was going fine but my results came back abnormal. Although still mild I am worried about the future in dealing with this. I'm very hopeful that my immune system will battle the abnormal cell since there is really no treatment for my mild dysplasia but to wait it out. My Mom, two aunts, and grandmother have all had hysterectomies so I'm terrified that I will in the future. HPV is so unfortunate and very scary but I'm very thankful that it's mild.

Comment from: lilbit, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I have been through the Pap smear/biopsy rounds for about two years. I just found out I've upgraded to moderate dysplasia. Just hearing that other people are experiencing the same frustrating cycle and have had these procedures makes me feel slightly better. I'm still scared and worried.

Comment from: kenai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

My cervical dysplasia was discovered when I had a total hysterectomy. All pap smears were normal.

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?