Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: SoConfused, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Hello, I am 28 years old and at the beginning of this year I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia and was a stage 2. I just went back for my check up today and had to have another biopsy because my doctor found some tissues. I am very scared. I am very confused because when I asked her if this was caused from a sexually transmitted disease she said no, that I didn't have any. I then read on a site that everyone associates cervical dysplasia with HPV. Also, it says it can be caused by sexual activity before 18 and I was sexually assaulted from three until I was eight. I am just wondering if anyone has any insight on this, and if it is caused from HPV? I am very confused and upset. I feel disgusting and I need answers.

Comment from: aaronsm0m, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I found out I had moderate cervical dysplasia when I was pregnant with my first child. So after I had my son I had a colposcopy and the doctor said it looked better and that I probably wouldn't need any treatment. Then I got a call from my gynecologist's office and her nurse said my biopsys came back as severe Dysplasia. So I scheduled my LEEP procedure.

Comment from: LeLe89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am 23 years old and six months ago during my annual pap smear I tested positive for HPV and mild dysplasia. I was devastated and I didn't understand what it all meant. I was extra discouraged because when at 18 I was vaccinated for some of the HPV strains. I have just visited my OBGYN again for my six month follow up to make sure everything was going fine but my results came back abnormal. Although still mild I am worried about the future in dealing with this. I'm very hopeful that my immune system will battle the abnormal cell since there is really no treatment for my mild dysplasia but to wait it out. My Mom, two aunts, and grandmother have all had hysterectomies so I'm terrified that I will in the future. HPV is so unfortunate and very scary but I'm very thankful that it's mild.

Comment from: Elisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am a 31 year old woman recently diagnosed with moderate dysplasia. I have had normal Paps every year until this one. They did a biopsy and have scheduled me to have a LEEP done. I am so scared, and on top of that, how on Earth am I going to tell my boyfriend I have HPV? Now not only am I worried about the procedure, I am worried that the man I love is going to leave me.

Comment from: lilbit, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I have been through the Pap smear/biopsy rounds for about two years. I just found out I've upgraded to moderate dysplasia. Just hearing that other people are experiencing the same frustrating cycle and have had these procedures makes me feel slightly better. I'm still scared and worried.

Comment from: Circean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am 47 years old and post-menopausal due to a hysterectomy when I was 29. I've never had an abnormal pap smear. Since I have no cervix, I only had to have pap smears every three years. Due to changing doctors, I had one a year early. It came back HGSIL: moderate dysplasia. The doctor said she didn't want to say I should worry, but I should be concerned. Apparently there is cervical tissue still up there. Anyway, don't ignore stuff just because you've had a hysterectomy. I was going to blow off my appointment. Glad I didn't. Good luck all!

Comment from: kenai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

My cervical dysplasia was discovered when I had a total hysterectomy. All pap smears were normal.

Comment from: jalee6, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I was recently diagnosed with CIN2 and went through a genuine depression over the issue. I had just started a new relationship and was ashamed of my diagnosis. I started not to act like my normal self in the relationship and thus it fell apart and my boyfriend broke up with me. We were only together two months prior to the diagnosis and had issues. I recently told him about my diagnosis because I felt so much guilt hiding the HPV diagnosis, the colposcopy, biopsies, and prep for surgery from him. I just needed to get the guilt off my head and heart.

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?