Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: LeLe89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am 23 years old and six months ago during my annual pap smear I tested positive for HPV and mild dysplasia. I was devastated and I didn't understand what it all meant. I was extra discouraged because when at 18 I was vaccinated for some of the HPV strains. I have just visited my OBGYN again for my six month follow up to make sure everything was going fine but my results came back abnormal. Although still mild I am worried about the future in dealing with this. I'm very hopeful that my immune system will battle the abnormal cell since there is really no treatment for my mild dysplasia but to wait it out. My Mom, two aunts, and grandmother have all had hysterectomies so I'm terrified that I will in the future. HPV is so unfortunate and very scary but I'm very thankful that it's mild.

Comment from: Elisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am a 31 year old woman recently diagnosed with moderate dysplasia. I have had normal Paps every year until this one. They did a biopsy and have scheduled me to have a LEEP done. I am so scared, and on top of that, how on Earth am I going to tell my boyfriend I have HPV? Now not only am I worried about the procedure, I am worried that the man I love is going to leave me.

Comment from: Yuccawife, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have had dysplasia in my 20's and now at 41 I developed a tiny bump that biopsied as a HPV wart, I am waiting results of my pap and HPV test. I am scared that this may have lingered all these years to reoccur now. I am in a faithful marriage and have always had normal paps even the last one 18 months ago.

Comment from: lilbit, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I have been through the Pap smear/biopsy rounds for about two years. I just found out I've upgraded to moderate dysplasia. Just hearing that other people are experiencing the same frustrating cycle and have had these procedures makes me feel slightly better. I'm still scared and worried.

Comment from: Circean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am 47 years old and post-menopausal due to a hysterectomy when I was 29. I've never had an abnormal pap smear. Since I have no cervix, I only had to have pap smears every three years. Due to changing doctors, I had one a year early. It came back HGSIL: moderate dysplasia. The doctor said she didn't want to say I should worry, but I should be concerned. Apparently there is cervical tissue still up there. Anyway, don't ignore stuff just because you've had a hysterectomy. I was going to blow off my appointment. Glad I didn't. Good luck all!

Comment from: kenai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

My cervical dysplasia was discovered when I had a total hysterectomy. All pap smears were normal.

Comment from: jalee6, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I was recently diagnosed with CIN2 and went through a genuine depression over the issue. I had just started a new relationship and was ashamed of my diagnosis. I started not to act like my normal self in the relationship and thus it fell apart and my boyfriend broke up with me. We were only together two months prior to the diagnosis and had issues. I recently told him about my diagnosis because I felt so much guilt hiding the HPV diagnosis, the colposcopy, biopsies, and prep for surgery from him. I just needed to get the guilt off my head and heart.

Comment from: ASA1414, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am 23 years old and I delivered my first child 11 months ago. After an abnormal pap smear, I was ordered to have a colposcopy. The procedure wasn't painful but, no one in my family has ever had it done. I didn't know what to expect. Now I must wait for the results. I'm scared to death. I'm unmarried and would like more kids. Hopefully, I can have the life I dreamed of after this is over.

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?