Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: Meghan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was recently told that I have more abnormal cell growth around the area of my vaginal opening that I had laser ablation on a year and a half ago. My cervix is normal and I have clean paps but I experience a lot of pain and tearing during sex where these abnormal cells are growing. I went through physical therapy after my surgery to break down the scar tissue that developed from biopsies and the ablation. (Yes, there is such a thing. I was skeptical in the beginning but it was amazing how it helped the pain.) Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation is what saved me from a life of painful sex. It's not 100% pain free but it is leaps and bounds from where I started. This disease has taken a lot from me. Money, time off of work, the ability to be intimate with the man I love, and ultimately my marriage. I just paid off my last medical bill from the surgery that took place a year and a half ago last month thinking that the experience was behind me only to go in for a checkup and be referred to another oncologist for the same thing. I am worried that my current boyfriend won't stick around while I go through this painful, expensive and disheartening experience all over again. I'm not scared of cancer, surgery, pain, or embarrassment, just that I will once again lose someone I love because of this awful disease.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: December 05

My sexual partner (at the time) did not disclose that he had the HPV, although he knew. He said his GP told him not to worry, that everyone gets it. Thanks to him, I now have to do the rounds of colposcopy, biopsy etc etc, after having normal smears for the last 35 years (I'm now 53). I am so angry that because of his negligence in not advising me, I now have to endure the expense, stress and frustration of ongoing procedures. Men need to understand that for them, it's not potentially life threatening but for us women it is. They should have to pay all medical bills when they are aware that they carry the virus and do not disclose this to their partners.

Comment from: nurse112, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

Hi everyone I am sharing my experience with you. I am 29 years old and have been with my husband for 15 years. We have 2 girls together. I just recently found out I have moderate to severe dysplasia of the cervix after having normal yearly pap tests. I had my LEEP done on Friday which wasn't bad. I am also a registered nurse, who worked with cancer patients at a radiotherapy clinic. On Monday, I returned home and received an urgent message from my Dr. that I am to call him the following day. I cannot stop crying as I am anticipating the worst. I know that God is going to help me through this. God bless you all.

Comment from: amid, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am 30 years old. I was diagnosed with CIN-3 cervical dysplasia about a year ago. This was after yearly PAPs, all normal. My Pap smear came back abnormal (HGSIL) and so I had a colposcopy and endocervical curretage. All of the biopsies came back showing CIN-3, severe dysplasia. I then underwent a cold knife conization, which came back with clear margins. I've had two PAP smears since, both normal! My next PAP smear is in a few months. I have to have PAP smears and HPV testing every six months for 2 years, as long as they all come back normal. It has been a very scary and stressful time, but had I not had my PAP smear regularly, the dysplasia could have progressed to invasive cervical cancer by now. So PLEASE, get your PAP smears every year, and I highly recommend getting tested for the high-risk strains of HPV as sometimes there are false negatives with PAP smears and this will help detect any abnormalities.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with high risk HPV about 4 years ago. After 2 1/2 years of repeat paps, colposcopies/biopsy and my CIN 1 turning into CIN 3/Carcinoma in situ I underwent a cold knife cone biopsy 8 months ago with clear margins. For the first time in 4 years I had a completely normal pap 3 months after the cone biopsy. Just last week I had my second follow pap and it came back abnormal w/CIN 1 again. This can lead to very frustrating feelings. I am now going to undergo yet another colposcopy/biopsy to see what the next step will be. All of this due to a tiny little virus called HPV. I think it is very important to have all of our young girls vaccinated with the new vaccine for high risk types of the HPV!

Comment from: k78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have been dealing with severe cervical dysplasia for about 3 years now. I'm 30 years old. I have had many colposcopies and one LEEP and a cervical canonization (forgive my spelling). I have dealt with HPV since I was 16. They gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way. I had gone back to the doctors when I started to bleed everyday except for one or two days here and there. They put me on the Depo Provera shot and again, sent me on my way. I didn't hear anymore about it until 3 years ago. I was working and ended up hemorrhaging. I went to the ER and they put me on an IV and did ultrasounds and blood work then, sent me on my way with my doctor's number. I have a very nasty strain of HPV. I cannot have the full hysterectomy that I thought would get rid of it because this strain will attack the vagina if it doesn't have anything else to attack. I have had very many colposcopies, a LEEP, and a cervical canonization. My last appointment came back abnormal (surprise, surprise) but, while I was there, they did an ultrasound and apparently my left ovary decided to move next to my bladder. I have no idea why. My whole point of telling people about this is so that maybe, just maybe, someone could be helped with this. I got this strain of HPV by a very unfaithful boyfriend. Use condoms each and everytime you have sex, or don't have sex. That's the only way to prevent going through this hell. You can't tell that anyone is a carrier of this disease by just looking at them, get tested, use condoms, don't have sex until you are married and make sure the person you are marrying has done the same.

Cervical Dysplasia - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Treatment Question: What type of treatment or procedure did you have for cervical dysplasia?
Cervical Dysplasia - Laser Treatment Question: Please describe your experience with laser photoablation to treat cervical dysplasia.
Cervical Dysplasia - Prognosis Question: Have you had a recurrence of cervical dysplasia? Please share your story.
Cervical Dysplasia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cervical dysplasia?